IGNORED

Barker - Utility

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, azatoth said:

yah, this is a dope album. kinda reminds me a bit how ukkonen makes me feel with odd rhythms swiriling around

Yes.

And thank you for reminding me that Ukkonen exists.  Need to relisten to those pronto.  Is he still producing stuff?  Been awhile.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:26 AM, Nil said:

Will check ukkonen, thanks !

Back to Barker : https://cdm.link/2019/09/barker-berghain-resident-utility

Really neat interview. Never really considered the behaviorism inherent with modern dance music. Respect how he’s trying to break free from some of these tired tropes.

Hard chord. Chris Ssg says big room ambient. Then there’s vegan techno, techno lite..

Lite – ooh, not that one.

Happy hard chord?

Lol.  Great interview.

I still stand by my initial 'take' on this album that he relies on a too-similar formula for each track (subversive and thoughtful as that formula may be).  But a more positive way to say the same thing would just be that its consistent.  In the words of joyrex.. its "quite good"

i don't think the album is as strong as Debiasing was by itself. also i just don't really get into that final track and that's leaving a bad taste in my mouth when i finish listening. 

Debiasing > Utility (but Utility is still surely better than any number of things from other artists in the same wheelhouse)

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, xxx said:

Future classic for me personally based on the stream. I know it's "limited palette" and a bit simple but goddamn is it effective for me.

yes this is how i feel as well, no surprise 

• 2 months later...

very groovy almost latin-style sounds, fun and playful and easily way better than almost all of the against the clocks (not a difficult achievement obv).

motherfucker already gets it sounding good just a minute in: really says a lot about the super-organization you see there in his studio, he's got a shit ton of stuff mapped to that big Faderfox PC12 and obviously bringing up some effects/etc via the mixer too. making me really wanna spend the afternoon trying to organize my shit because i've been planning to get something similar setup where i've got most of my hardware controlled immediately but i've been just going straight to writing/recording and not taking care of the hardware workflow.

also that big reverb wall plate wtf man

• Like 2

FACT reeeaally loved that plate haha. Those camera angles and split screens screamed "you guys seeing this shit?!"

What else can be said that hasn't already? Barker pwn'in the scene right now. 

• Like 1