IGNORED

Barker - Utility

13 hours ago, auxien said:

very groovy almost latin-style sounds, fun and playful and easily way better than almost all of the against the clocks (not a difficult achievement obv).

motherfucker already gets it sounding good just a minute in: really says a lot about the super-organization you see there in his studio, he's got a shit ton of stuff mapped to that big Faderfox PC12 and obviously bringing up some effects/etc via the mixer too. making me really wanna spend the afternoon trying to organize my shit because i've been planning to get something similar setup where i've got most of my hardware controlled immediately but i've been just going straight to writing/recording and not taking care of the hardware workflow.

also that big reverb wall plate wtf man

Yeah that was a good one. Generally I find them enjoyable though, it’s cool to get to look over someone’s shoulder when they’re trying to get something going and you gotta appreciate the guts of the people participating. Kinda sad fact had/decided to close comments on these videos because of all the negativity. 

This has been sitting in my ever expanding watch later playlist, seems similar:

I’ve been optimising my setup for ages but to me the decision making is harrowing and there’s also so much trial and error involved. I always end up getting distracted somewhere along the line too. ie making a midi/sysex controller for a machine in max for live and then finding out that it can’t handle the data flow and starts glitching out. Then recording that and spend some time making a drumrack with the samples then spending way too much time assigning and configuring macro’s, get sick of that and then do a never to be finished sketch with the sounds, returning to this later and think “fuck I need to streamline my workflow so I can actually work these jams out and perform them a bit more” This is the looping point. Writing a pointless long winded post about it is a minor variation. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

I know it's 10 minutes against the clock, but I always wonder how long they spend setting everything up in advance. 

i remember seeing one particularly bad one, a guy smoking a blunt or a spliff or something and thinking 'this dude spent more time rolling that than he did prepping for this 10 minute music showcase going on the internet'

54 minutes ago, user said:

Yeah that was a good one. Generally I find them enjoyable though, it’s cool to get to look over someone’s shoulder when they’re trying to get something going and you gotta appreciate the guts of the people participating. Kinda sad fact had/decided to close comments on these videos because of all the negativity. 

This has been sitting in my ever expanding watch later playlist, seems similar:

I’ve been optimising my setup for ages but to me the decision making is harrowing and there’s also so much trial and error involved. I always end up getting distracted somewhere along the line too. ie making a midi/sysex controller for a machine in max for live and then finding out that it can’t handle the data flow and starts glitching out. Then recording that and spend some time making a drumrack with the samples then spending way too much time assigning and configuring macro’s, get sick of that and then do a never to be finished sketch with the sounds, returning to this later and think “fuck I need to streamline my workflow so I can actually work these jams out and perform them a bit more” This is the looping point. Writing a pointless long winded post about it is a minor variation. 

i'm always for giving them the benefit of the doubt, i doubt i could do anything great in 10 minutes, but at some point watching these 'musicians' spend 7 minutes loading samples and try and pencil in the most basic pattern in a software program is..... dear god is infuriating. 

*added to my watch later playlist, for synchronicity. i'm well over like 150 in that queue but who cares, what's one more :)

^same thing happens to me on the workflow setup distraction loop. one of these days i'll break it.

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, auxien said:

i remember seeing one particularly bad one, a guy smoking a blunt or a spliff or something and thinking 'this dude spent more time rolling that than he did prepping for this 10 minute music showcase going on the internet'

i'm always for giving them the benefit of the doubt, i doubt i could do anything great in 10 minutes, but at some point watching these 'musicians' spend 7 minutes loading samples and try and pencil in the most basic pattern in a software program is..... dear god is infuriating. 

*added to my watch later playlist, for synchronicity. i'm well over like 150 in that queue but who cares, what's one more ?

^same thing happens to me on the workflow setup distraction loop. one of these days i'll break it.

This is the reason FACT disabled comments on all of them, which took a lot of fun out of it. There were some legendary roasts but also praise when it was deserved. Everything should have the opportunity to be judged but we're living in a scrubbed web these days. Notable standouts for me are Danny L Harle and Benjamin Damage. I wish I could better remember the ones the internet collectively gutted lol. 

Man my opinion changed on this album... Back when this released I thought this was an uninspiring listen. The album didn't grab me at all and it sounded boring to me. All of a sudden this thing clicked with me! This album is a beauty, especially Gradients of Bliss. For some reason it reminds me of an empty swimming pool

12 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Great tune. As I said earlier in the thread, I could use an entire album in this vein.

i felt the same way about OPN's "last known image of a song" from age of. why come they keep putting the best moody ambient pieces at the end of the album??

1 hour ago, Extralife said:

Great tune. As I said earlier in the thread, I could use an entire album in this vein.

seriously i'm listening to it real loud right now and it just fucking kills it. autechrian physmod ringing dub/hiphop drums. boards of canda type hazy minor chord progression. orchestral synth swells. and then some sick ride cymbal action. feels like tricky could drop in at any moment. for me this is the best track on the album. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That Against the Clock is awesome, very cool little reverb plate thing he's got going there...

This whole album is just lush a f, definitely one of my favs of 2019, threw a couple tracks off this in the latest set I did.

• 4 months later...

As previously mentioned before by various wise watmm scribes Die-Hards Of The Darwinian Order is just mind bogglingly brilliant, and I've been playing this a lot the last few weeks

Reminds me just a little of 18 (keyosc) but no matter this is a next level track. Weird, off-kilter and trippy. 

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
39 minutes ago, species8472 said:

been listening to Barker 001 since a few months ago after they put it up on Bandcamp, it's really good but this one is maybe better even. first track is lovely and second is like a hint of the future or something...third track tho, fucking rhythmic layering shit going on in this is masterful, seriously.

Spoiler

and those last little chords at the very end of the third track. fucking perfection.

• Like 1

Put BARKER 001 and 002 together and baby you got a stew goin'. Sam just doesn't miss--it's remarkable. Not a single track he's put out on his own that I don't like. I liked Baumecker and Barker well enough back in the day but it's like he's on some asymptotic shit into a new realm of quality. 

Spoiler

in spoilers as a form of trigger warning: it's sad to see Salv diggin' so hard too and damn death is so shitty because he's not in here for this 002 *drops a patch cable on the ground for the fallen homies*

Edited by xxx
  • Sad 1

Julia Louis Dreyfus Dancing GIF

Fuck, I had no clue BARKER001 got a digital release ! Grabbing both now.

By the way... does it mean an LP is right around the corner ? :catbed:

Edited by Nil
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1