IGNORED

Milieu - Sunbather's Pharmacopeia Vol. 1 (Touched Music, July 26)

Mellow U

TMMM01_Glam_1.thumb.png.466dc442e8c8f824edd51ea25c8b7280.png

Hello there WATMM,

I am pleased to announce the first of two very special compilations of Milieu trax, assembled exclusively for release at the excellent Touched Music label. The two-volume Sunbather's Pharmacopeia is designed to appeal to both longtime listeners, first-timers and the casual consumer in between, and this first volume focuses on material from the earlier phase of the Milieu sound - the slow tempos, detuned synthesizers and bittersweet melodies.

TMMM01_Glam_2.thumb.png.914721541ab50a157bdc3cb6d503e5e6.png

As of right now, the release has only been announced via the Touched social media outlets, and there isn't anything on Bandcamp just yet. HOWEVER, a good amount of promo is being done, and some of it is the cool and interactive kind, so read on!

To start, multiple videos have been made for some of the tracks on this collection, the first by Mr. Touched himself (and can only currently be viewed via the Touched Facebook page) and the second by Broken Machine Films (the in-house videographers at Illuminated Paths) which is soon to come. There may yet be more videos, but don't quote me because I'm not the one in charge of that department.

Secondly, there will be a three-hour online event on the Touched Mixlr feed, on Friday July 26th, which consists of a DJ set from the talented Steve Brown (Combinations In Electronic Sound), a DJ set from myself (moonlighting as DJ Brian Damage) and then a screening of the Touched album. The link to the Touched Mixlr is here, and this will happen at 2PM Eastern Daylight time (7PM in the UK and 8PM in much of the rest of Europe). I will be hanging out in the chatroom at Mixlr to answer questions and shoot the breeze, likely with a couple shots of whiskey in my hand. If anyone here has attended the listening parties I did on Twitch for Sun Cast or Shallow Earth, this will be somewhat like that.

And speaking of that last bit - depending on how the Mixlr show goes, and whether or not anyone there missed out, was late coming in, or still wants to listen to music and chat, I'll be willing to have an afterparty on my Twitch channel, where I might even break out the synths and drum machines and jam a bit, or play tracks, or whatever! Bedtime is relative in Milieu Land.

Finally, I've answered some studio-related questions in an interview segment for Synthspotting (Twitter & Facebook) and given them a few badly lit photographs of what the studio looks like right now. I don't know when they will post their Milieu feature, but I will try to update this thread when it happens.

So there you go - some cool Milieu-related things to look forward to soon. And definitely, if you can, check the DJ set out on Mixlr - it's not your usual DJ affair of just spinning records, but rather, more like an old hip-hop mixtape that takes loops from dozens of different tracks and uses them as building blocks for brand new grooves. I have done one previous DJ mix in this style and you can download that here. There also may or may not be a bootleg cassette containing both of the Brian Damage DJ sets coming out after the Touched release...

More info posted here as it comes!

1394052869_TMMM01Glam3.thumb.jpg.f0633b441ae6f518deb58e6441c23602.jpg

19 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

good stuff man , downloading sunday morning with coffer mix by dj brian damage rn ((::

Yuss, enjoy! It is a most definitely appropriate taster for what's to come on Friday!

If like me you live in Europe you’ll no doubt realise that it’s a complete scorcher at the moment. And we at Touched Music have just the thing for the sunny vibes courtesy of Milieu. ‘Sunbather's Pharmacopeia Volume 1’ may not cool you down but it will certainly make you cool.

It’s a strong opening from ’Tropic Casanova’ - like bringing out a long lost childhood Casio from the cupboard that can’t wait to let its rhythms loose. Throw in a rich hook that reminds me of the summers of my teenage years and you’ve got something Very AIR and very enjoyable.

Even the most hardcore of down-tempo fans will be drooling in the heat, not least in part to pieces like ’Stained Brown Pages’ with its pulsing vibrato & fashionable transitions aplenty and ‘Coastline’ that will slow the pace of your day whether you want it to or not.

There’s good variety here but Milieu always stays on point, he’s consistent with his rhythm and tempo and there’s no unpleasant surprises to be had, even if ‘Ultraviolet Impressions’ ups the speed a bit and pieces like ‘Sage Derby’ inject a bit of funk into the proceedings.

As always I find some favourites - ‘Capricorn’ - a really cerebral track that displays simplicity at its best.  I’ve been working out all sorts of problems to for the majority of the week. ‘Sunlite Sound’ pleases in a way that makes me want to leave the office as soon as I get there and just enjoy the outdoors.

Once again I find myself exposed to an artist capable of channeling the best parts of works & techniques I have known and loved throughout the years. I’d like to put my finger on the pulse of this album but I just can’t, there’s so many good musical memories being dragged up and hard as it is to separate them, each one is as good as the last.

Thanks Touched Music, you’ve sorted out my playlist once again. As always, proceeds go to Macmillan Cancer Support.

Thanks to everyone who has supported this so far - it's the #1 IDM album on Bandcamp today!

For those interested and yet to grab one, as of this morning there were 40 copies left.

https://touched.bandcamp.com/album/sunbathers-pharmacopeia-volume-1

Archived