zlemflolia

Nobody even made a Neuralink thread yet, it's one of the most amazing things you could imagine being actually developed, they're actually developing something that could literally 100% change the game in terms of human existence, individual intelligence, psychological problems of individuals, and therefore as a society.  It will be able to heal certain neurological disorders through creating connections that were previously lacked.  And it can solve leftover primate psychological issues like bad designs in our bran that happened during the semi-random walk of genetic algorithm based optimization (natural selection based biological evolution).  sometimes you can get strange shapes that still work but which could be made way better, surely there is much of that in our psychologies that got us to the threshold of where we are now, the dominant species on our planet.  but a LOT more can be achieved than merely that.  this will transform our existence in a way far beyond what the internet did

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

imagine the capabilities of a formally verified and rigorously tested geolocation system implemented in a decentralized matter similar to Bitcoin, that allows us to operate a google maps app that is crowd-sourced in terms of the names of objects and locations.  it will allow us to organize in ways we previously could not have imagined possible.  similar to thinking "I want to move my finger to lift this tool" we will think "I want to move my Google-maps brain computer interface connection and know how to get to Bob's house"

it's not coming for many generations to come, but it will come.  I hope things start speeding up and we can experience this level of existence too, because once we have it it's only up from there, we exist right now like an insect in comparison to it

16 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

imagine the capabilities of a formally verified and rigorously tested geolocation system implemented in a decentralized matter similar to Bitcoin, that allows us to operate a google maps app that is crowd-sourced in terms of the names of objects and locations.  it will allow us to organize in ways we previously could not have imagined possible.  similar to thinking "I want to move my finger to lift this tool" we will think "I want to move my Google-maps brain computer interface connection and know how to get to Bob's house"

it's not coming for many generations to come, but it will come.  I hope things start speeding up and we can experience this level of existence too, because once we have it it's only up from there, we exist right now like an insect in comparison to it

Considering the seemingly exponential nature of technological development I don't think it's all too far-fetched that we will witness this shit yo

I'm really frightened by transhumanism / augmented humanity and of course by Neuralink. The " rewiring psychological issues" especially : what makes a psychological issue? It's all a matter of perception, isn't it? Like in the seventies when homosexuality was still considered as a mental disorder : would you rewire it?

I mean I'm not against medical progress, I'm curious to see how those devices will help us recover after a stroke for example but I'm afraid we will start losing our individualities and what makes us humans in the first place.

Haven't heard of this neuralink before. But it sounds like one of those technological achievements where we're able to do stuff well before we even understand what we're doing. We're f-king around with stuff we probably shouldn't.

Also, a bit too much hype, I'm guessing.

Why shouldn't we mess with it?

Nothing wrong with a well designed brain computer interface. It would make things way more easy. In a way your brain is already communicating with computers, only the interface is shitty (hands, fingers, eyes).

Of course every technology brings its downsides and dangers, we just gotta think hard on how to deal with those and make some rules.

Neuralink is just musk making a product out of scientific research that has been done  for over a decade by optimizing the process of development. All the info on wait but why is nothing new. It’s all stuff that has been done for over 10 years by science all he does is making a product out of it (his pitch is in the last 2 % of the article) so its just musk selling something others developed to his nerd audience which he does really well

At least we can be thankful that this company, working to literally alter the operation of our brains, is owned by such a mentally healthy and non-egotistical guy.

1 hour ago, o00o said:

Neuralink is just musk making a product out of scientific research that has been done  for over a decade by optimizing the process of development. All the info on wait but why is nothing new. It’s all stuff that has been done for over 10 years by science all he does is making a product out of it (his pitch is in the last 2 % of the article) so its just musk selling something others developed to his nerd audience which he does really well

It's not about being first and revolutionary in obscure pockets, it's about executing.  I regularly come up with all sorts of random little technologies that I will never have the time or motivation to fully implement and so does everyone, it's just that you need large teams to create these things in practice.  And that's the actual hard part.  Nobody else bothered?  Well he did, evidently the previous people who developed it didn't have the foresight to bind together and create Neuralink.  It's a far more difficult organizational goal that one firmly rooted under capitalism like with that of for-profit educational facilities.  You can hear it in the voices of some of these presenters, this is their life and they want to do it for real unlike those who failed to bother putting in enough energy to execute before

1 hour ago, o00o said:

It's very rare, nigh on impossible, to have technology products developed from the absolute ground up.  You are absolutely always standing on the shoulders of giants in taking for granted essentially any part of any modern business.  This is no different.  They hire researchers to create this stuff, it's all PhDs working there at the higher levels, people who aren't just learners but creators even if not all of them, in principle at least. The real creation is the combination of everything

2 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

but I thought cryptocurrencies was the next significant stage for humanity

It is too, this has nothing to do with that.  it's all the same thing - the taming of silicon general purpose computers for more and more transcendent things.  The study of materials science for creation of more complex objects.  Everything is going deeper into reality to work

41 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

It's very rare, nigh on impossible, to have technology products developed from the absolute ground up.  You are absolutely always standing on the shoulders of giants in taking for granted essentially any part of any modern business.  This is no different.  They hire researchers to create this stuff, it's all PhDs working there at the higher levels, people who aren't just learners but creators even if not all of them, in principle at least. The real creation is the combination of everything

So what’s his revolutionary new approach in the whole thing? He is just making something used to treat depression and Alzheimer’s into a consumer product. On the other hand it’s the same Steve Jobs did with the iPhone as well.

I guess it’s just me not liking his way of pretending to be a great inventor when he is just a great investor able to pull all nerds to buy his stuff

10 minutes ago, o00o said:

So what’s his revolutionary new approach in the whole thing? He is just making something used to treat depression and Alzheimer’s into a consumer product. On the other hand it’s the same Steve Jobs did with the iPhone as well.

I guess it’s just me not liking his way of pretending to be a great inventor when he is just a great investor able to pull all nerds to buy his stuff

They're doing it in a visionary way not a way where they implement it for one tiny use-case and leave it as a medical device.  They're aiming high, that's the difference

What does that even mean? Everything I read is as vague as possible sprinkled with buzzwords like ai to attract investors probably because he did not find anyone anymore to fund Tesla 

58 minutes ago, o00o said:

He is just making something used to treat depression and Alzheimer’s into a consumer product.

For what it's worth, there is no treatment for Alzheimer at this point. There's a lot of stuff in the pipeline, but once close to market, the effects are close to invisible. As we're actually still trying to find out what alzheimers actually is, how/why it starts, etc.

Please take these cures of depression/alzheimer claims with a huge grain of salt.

11 hours ago, o00o said:

What does that even mean? Everything I read is as vague as possible sprinkled with buzzwords like ai to attract investors probably because he did not find anyone anymore to fund Tesla 

For people with missing limbs, it will be able to control them.  For people who are healthy, it will give you access to a new limb - an input to controllers similar to a keyboard and mouse but more abstract and high-bandwidth.  Imagine instead controlling a video game controller with your mind.  Now imagine that you add on some more modulators to increase data throughput.  Now imagine that this controller is being used to control something else, like a drone that follows you around.  Now imagine that the imagery this drone sees is processed by imagine recognition software and converted into some abstract encoding space using a denoising autoencoder, and this encoding is normalized and cleaned up into an inderstandable form, then fed to a contact lens based HUD which gives you information about your surroundings, your coordinates, how to get to the location you want, how efficient you're being.  Imagine a heavily audited and open source knowledge graph letting you browse for information in realtime to solve any problem that comes your way with your mind, which is augmented by your control of the traversal of the knowledge graph whose results are then fed to the HUD.  It's like an external memory.

The next level would be extra eyeballs except they aren't used for viewing the world in the typical way, but directly interfacing with the knowledge graph.  Once they implement rich vision for blind patients it can be applied to sighted individuals to allow them to "see" and traverse other spaces, in this case information spaces

Imagine an expert at using this tool (and it is a tool (just as they said in the presentation) which must be learned to be operated similar to playing a piano) controlling a 303 with nothing but your brain.  I want to hear it.  If you don't you're lame

I'm also excited for this. Transhumanism is the next step, we're aldready there in some ways. I just want this thing plus some wings on my back or maybe an exoskeleton.

58 minutes ago, andrd said:

Wow that is a disturbing picture.

I guess in 50years humans will have usb c ports sticking out of their heads too.

Can't wait until people with less money become the products (like with Facebook) and instead of paying with money they pay with personal information from their brain, or they're forced to have ads steamed to their brain. And of course they'll all choose to do this because of the convenience/efficiency that the technology provides

Archived