That's it! The US is going to win the race for herd-immunity by a landslide. They'll also win the race for lethal casualties, but... meh...

• Farnsworth 2

2 hours ago, goDel said:

That's it! The US is going to win the race for herd-immunity by a landslide. They'll also win the race for lethal casualties, but... meh...

seems in the USA there's a lot of hospitalizations of young people infected.. more so than in other places. but it'll be fine i'm sure.. a memorable spring break for lot's of people and that's what's important. 

• Burger 1

58 minutes ago, ignatius said:

seems in the USA there's a lot of hospitalizations of young people infected.. more so than in other places. but it'll be fine i'm sure.. a memorable spring break for lot's of people and that's what's important. 

In case it makes you feel any better, the number of corona deaths per capita is currently higher in the Netherlands than in the US. The Netherlands are third in the international ranking after Italy and Spain. Even Iran scores better.

/sadface

• Sad 2

What? Nooo, Netherlands is only seventh or some shit.

Death per capita. I'm wrong you're right.

Edited by Gocab

17 minutes ago, Gocab said:

What? Nooo, Netherlands is only seventh or some shit.

Death per capita. I'm wrong you're right.

Hope this link works:

new-covid-deaths-per-million.svg

40 minutes ago, goDel said:

In case it makes you feel any better, the number of corona deaths per capita is currently higher in the Netherlands than in the US. The Netherlands are third in the international ranking after Italy and Spain. Even Iran scores better.

/sadface

yeah.. in oregon the number of infections is till quite low for now. i've read in a few places how medical staff are being surprised by more hospitalizations in healthy younger people with seemingly good immunity etc. just wondering if things are changing but i guess that story is yet to be written. i'm sure we'll hear about anything like that. my boss is a neurosurgeon and has big brain so i get updates from him. he's pretty on top of things. 

anyway.. i'm just glad to have to grocery shopping done and how my local store handled it. it's reassuring. i'm much happier monitoring these things from basement.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ignatius said:

yeah.. in oregon the number of infections is till quite low for now. i've read in a few places how medical staff are being surprised by more hospitalizations in healthy younger people with seemingly good immunity etc. just wondering if things are changing but i guess that story is yet to be written. i'm sure we'll hear about anything like that. my boss is a neurosurgeon and has big brain so i get updates from him. he's pretty on top of things. 

anyway.. i'm just glad to have to grocery shopping done and how my local store handled it. it's reassuring. i'm much happier monitoring these things from basement.

The early cases of younger people was also seen in the Netherlands, btw. Although the research/data hasn't been done, I believe this might be a temporal thing where younger people (without comorbidities) tend to seek help sooner than people who are older (and less mobile and/or assertive) or people who already have to cope with some kind of condition making it harder to notice the early symptoms of COVID-19.

In other words, I think it's highly likely these early signs of more younger people with conditions is not representative and just a temporary effect caused by various factors.

There is some research though where mortality rates of Italy and China are compared. Most interesting result is that it looks like the mortality rates of people older than 70 seem higher in Italy. While the mortality rate for all younger ages are similar in both regions. Not sure what could cause that difference, but it's an interesting difference nonetheless. Seems statistically significant, but haven't studied the publications to be honest.

• Like 1

Italy's ICUs are filled way beyond capacity, so the oldest and least likely to survive are left to die. 

I don't see what this has to do with Biden though.

Edited by Gocab
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Italy's ICUs are filled way beyond capacity, so the oldest and least likely to survive are left to die. 

I don't see what this has to do with trump though.

Yes! Might be a good explanation of why Italies mortality rate amongst the elderly is higher than Chinas! It's a consequence of the overcrowded healthcare system. Makes complete sense. (still needs to be assessed against the situation in China though, to be definitive. But this is a very valid working-hypothesis, so to speak)

Edited by goDel

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:
can't wait until november when biden destroys trump

not that I like Biden all that much, but I sure hope so.

I'd imagine it is not going to be on a "destroy" level if Biden wins, more than likely it'll end up being something like 51% to 49%. but I'll take it if it gets rid of captain orange.

10 minutes ago, zero said:

not that I like Biden all that much, but I sure hope so.

I'd imagine it is not going to be on a "destroy" level if Biden wins, more than likely it'll end up being something like 51% to 49%. but I'll take it if it gets rid of captain orange.

i bet the DNC is actively discussing ho wto replace biden w/Andrew Cuomo ?

biden is fine and good. we should not be surprised there is a social campaign attacking him with anything they can. haven't heard from him in 24 hours... compilation reel of him clearing his throat... pretending to not know what he means... conflating a single cough with having symptoms... these are bad-faith tricks like you get from paid posters, like a 20 year old russian troll. some lucky putin stooge can afford toilet paper this week. i guaruntee you the russians are manufacturing and distributing a lot of these shallow attempts to mislead people about biden. i wonder if they still believe america is the threat they need to fight, these days... aside from them, assuredly "oppo research" firms are participating on behalf of Orange and the gop-fox fraud syndicate. then there are the sociopathic dark triad personalities that were concertedly targetted by the likes of cambridge analytica and the russians, duped into becoming messaging surrogates, continuing to maniacally spackle the internet with delusional brain garbage.

meanwhile, in reality, joe is approaching the somber and serious moment exactly the way a regular human, seasoned politician should. here's a press conference he did today on covid-19.

here's an online event scheduled for later today.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 1