9 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I mean if you REALLY think 70 million Americans are truly whatever evil you think, ok. Just seems obvious to me if you only get to pick Coke or Pepsi you just make a call. Most folks vote party affiliation.

I don't recall anyone on here saying that 70 million Americans are evil.

I'm just saying that I (personally) find it worrying that people can hold so closely to their political belief that they sacrifice their moral principles and integrity to vote for someone who doesn't care about people while simultaneously claiming that they love Americans.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, hijexx said:

This is the internet, all issues are black and white with no nuance. Anyone who voted for Trump is a racist xenophobic bigot fascist authoritarian (insert any random epithet here). That's what people who don't like Trump told me so it's true.

Beats introspection.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fumi said:

Trump tapped into the anger of people and those who felt they had no voice.

Yeah, this is kind of a big deal. After Hillary lost in 2016 I felt this in a way that made me feel sad for their anger and alienation. But after 4 years of venomous red-faced Trump rallies, I have heard their voice, and it is loud and obnoxious and hateful, and I'm sick to death of hearing it. If they can't put on their big boy/girl pants and learn to play nice with the rest of the country, fuck 'em. Without the life preserver of the electoral college, they're irrelevant, and they fucking earned it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

Yeah, this is kind of a big deal. After Hillary lost in 2016 I felt this in a way that made me feel sad for their anger and alienation. But after 4 years of venomous red-faced Trump rallies, I have heard their voice, and it is loud and obnoxious and hateful, and I'm sick to death of hearing it. If they can't put on their big boy/girl pants and learn to play nice with the rest of the country, fuck 'em. Without the life preserver of the electoral college, they're irrelevant, and they fucking earned it.

What's sad is that a lot of Republicans have died from Covid or suffered financially from the pandemic.

Trump didn't have mental aptitude or attention span to deal with any crisis that lasted more than two weeks.

He lost any interest in dealing with it by the time Summer rolled around. 

That's going to be his legacy, I believe.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Maybe not all are racists/xenophobes/whatever but they clearly don't mind racism/xenophobia/etc.

I would say that they don't mind it enough to vote for a Democrat when they've been Republican for most of their adult lives.  The people I talked to are definitely not racist and don't like Trump, but still voted for him because being a Republican is so baked into their being that they couldn't betray that part of themselves.  That's what really worries me about America, that tends to happen a lot here, not sure about other parts of the world.

1 hour ago, fumi said:

Personally, I cannot see him coming back. He may be behind bars in four years. Who knows?

Also, that saying 'A week is a long time in politics.'

Four years would be a lifetime. The landscape would have shifted incredibly by then. I'm not saying it would be better or worse - but it would be different.

Trump tapped into the anger of people and those who felt they had no voice. Problem was, he betrayed them. He just used the office of President in order to further his own wealth and those of his friends. he hasn't done anything of note in four years.

He had one great crisis in four years to deal with, and the voices from the dead will whisper eternally.

All that had to happen for Trump's second term win was for 1-2% of democratic voters to stay home. In four years well after the pandemic, I will bet at least some Democrats will let their guard down just enough for Trump to slip through assuming he gets as many votes in 2024 as he did in 2020. Knowing Republicans, every single one who voted this time will vote next time.

The biggest ally for a 2024  Trump presidency is American's tendency to forget things, or look back on it as "not as bad" as they remember it being, etc. I doubt the next election will have as many votes total as this one did as well, especially if the media tries to forget Trump still exists.

Which means the media MUST remind us come next election year

edit: And I feel I should add that yes, Trump betrayed them. But for some reason the great majority of them haven't figured that out yet... and because of all the rallys I am guessing, Trump managed to pick up a TON more votes this time. It is clear he has more die hard fans now than he did 4 years ago.

I have a sinking feeling Trump will still hold rallies over the next 4 years. Maybe not as many, but he will resume campaigning in a year or two. I think that is why he is still building this narrative of voter fraud as he will use that narrative to get conservatives going again for him.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

All that had to happen for Trump's second term win was for 1-2% of democratic voters to stay home. In four years well after the pandemic, I will bet at least some Democrats will let their guard down just enough for Trump to slip through assuming he gets as many votes in 2024 as he did in 2020. Knowing Republicans, every single one who voted this time will vote next time.

The biggest ally for a 2024  Trump presidency is American's tendency to forget things, or look back on it as "not as bad" as they remember it being, etc.

So true

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ignatius said:

at some point these types will fire their weapon (again). Idk wtf is to protest in arkansas but ok. 

I'd love to have a wrestling match with that big dude in the front.

• Like 2

For anyone who feels sorry for him, just remember that his administration made sure that kids were taken away from their parents, put in cages, and now they have no clue where the parents are and therefore can’t reunite the kids with them. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, randomsummer said:

It's not that simple.  I know some people who didn't like Trump but voted for him just because they're Republican.  I think there are a lot of people on both sides that thought, "well I don't like my candidate, but I'm going to hold my nose and vote because I want my party to win."

Well, if you're gonna hold your nose anyway you might as well do it for a bare minimum of human decency, see RVAT / Lincoln Project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fumi said:

I don't recall anyone on here saying that 70 million Americans are evil.

I'm just saying that I (personally) find it worrying that people can hold so closely to their political belief that they sacrifice their moral principles and integrity to vote for someone who doesn't care about people while simultaneously claiming that they love Americans.

I know, but I voted for Biden anyway, because it is time for the #eraofmeanness to end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squee said:

For anyone who feels sorry for him, just remember that his administration made sure that kids were taken away from their parents, put in cages, and now they have no clue where the parents are and therefore can’t reunite the kids with them. 

I don’t feel sorry for Obama. He has great life, hangs out on the Bush ranch all the time

Edited by sheatheman
  • Thanks 1