23 minutes ago, very honest said:

yeah it's "odinist." if you search for odinism what you get is articles about white supremacy's adoption of it. dude's covered in odinist symbols. 

Can't a man just have an interest in Norse mythology without it being a statement anymore?

17 minutes ago, zero said:

thank god all those people out there with butterflies tattooed above their ass and tribal bands around their ankles are still safe here.

Please please please let these super macho tough guys get some tramp stamps. "That's our word now!"

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Braintree said:

Can't a man just have an interest in Norse mythology without it being a statement anymore?

hey i used qualifiers to not make unproven assertions

also norse mythology is pretty cool. glad i learned about the known link between odinist symbol tattoos and WS

4 minutes ago, very honest said:

hey i used qualifiers to not make unproven assertions

also norse mythology is pretty cool. glad i learned about the known link between odinist symbol tattoos and WS

I'm commenting that the casual observer would now suspect I'm a white supremacist for having an interest in it. I feel as if Norsemen and white supremacy have been equated to one another since that 2011 massacre on that island in Norway. It's gotten worse since then.

2 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I'm commenting that the casual observer would now suspect I'm a white supremacist for having an interest in it.

based on the public discourse i've seen over the last year, i feel "[THING] implies [OTHER THING]" is only going to get more intense over the coming years as everything & everyone becomes increasingly polarized

• Like 1

ah man that's unfortunate. i listened to an audiobook that puts the mythology from the epic poems into regular prose and it was awesome. like straight-up lord of the rings but the original. i had heard that tolkein took stuff from norse mythology but i didn't realize that he pretty much just jacked it entirely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zero said:

did you notice the $203 price tag on it though?

F U Bezos!

I don't think Bezos sets the price on items like that....it's his algorithmic doppelganger.

3 minutes ago, very honest said:

ah man that's unfortunate. i listened to an audiobook that puts the mythology from the epic poems into regular prose and it was awesome. like straight-up lord of the rings but the original. i had heard that tolkein took stuff from norse mythology but i didn't realize that he pretty much just jacked it entirely.

The whole origin of Yggdrasil and the rainbow road is wild shit. Unlike many other religions. I guess it's probably what happens when a culture evolves seeing the northern lights often.

7 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I'm commenting that the casual observer would now suspect I'm a white supremacist for having an interest in it. I feel as if Norsemen and white supremacy have been equated to one another since that 2011 massacre on that island in Norway. It's gotten worse since then.

Very true though interestingly enough he (although he denies it now) first came out as an anti-Islamist, anti-globalist and anti-leftist which is why he targeted political youth. I don't say this as an "acshully" point but a remember that there's far-right wing in-fighting as well. I remember Varg / Burzum writing about how this guy was Christian traitor and a slew of other anti-Semitic bullshit and wrong for targeting white Norwegians and how he (Varg) - a misanthropic violent piece of shit himself - was appalled he'd kill children.

The shitty thing about fascist in-fighting is it often doesn't split groups. Nazis had both devout Christian conservatives and esoteric Pagans in their ranks.

7 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I don't think Bezos sets the price on items like that

oh for sure. I was just having a lol moment at thinking Bezos himself upped the price on a book about fascism to upwards of $200

14 minutes ago, Braintree said:

The whole origin of Yggdrasil and the rainbow road is wild shit. Unlike many other religions. I guess it's probably what happens when a culture evolves seeing the northern lights often.

yeah i find some of their literary symbolism compelling. i think they have distilled some kind of deep insights in there.

disclaimer: not embracing the overt sexism, which stands out

Edited by very honest

38 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

that book looks really interesting!

Yeah, it's kind of amazing, especially since it was written and published in the early 70s while a lot of the groups it was talking about hand run their whole course yet, so it has a different perspective. I don't even remember how I first learned about it, I think it was cited in something else.

This one's seems like a more sort of academic, comprehensive take on a lot of the same stuff, but I have to admit I haven't read much of it yet (and my old copy doesn't have the sort of self-helpy vibe that the Amazon description gives off):

https://www.amazon.com/Guru-Papers-Masks-Authoritarian-Power/dp/1883319005

50 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Senate Sergeant at Arms told to resign by Jan. 21, or he will be fired. Also this:

Unknown.jpeg.00ff00699a9cb4ded0e8cc603a47c61b.jpeg

I bet that doesn't apply to that guy though, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Senate Sergeant at Arms told to resign by Jan. 21, or he will be fired. Also this:

also:

A second suspect, Lonnie Coffman – whom AL.com identified as being 70 years old – is accused of having two handguns, an assault rifle, and 11 Molotov cocktails that included gasoline and apparent homemade napalm, the official said.

Coffman, from Falkville, Ala., was identified after police linked him to a suspicious red GMC pick-up truck with Alabama plates.

Mark Leffingwell was also charged, accused of knowingly entering restricted ground and assaulting an officer after he entered the Capitol. Court papers released Thursday in connection with his U.S. Capitol Police (USCP) arrest show Leffingwell repeatedly punched a USCP officer in the helmet and chest.

The fourth man is Christopher Michael Alberts, of Maryland, accused of illegally entering the Capitol while in possession of a loaded Taurus 9mm handgun, as well as a separate magazine filled with ammunition. USCP said Alberts, who was wearing a bulletproof vest, "immediately tried to flee" before police detained him, court papers show. He is accused of also having a pocketknife at the time.

4 hours ago, Braintree said:

it goes back further, im ignorant on the topic but ive known a lot of right wing racist people bordering on nazis since before 2011 who were all autistic metalheads, and this dude at the very least has a history of these associations going back way further

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes

the nazis also propagandized heavily in the nordic region telling them theyre the ideal aryans and they need to come help, and some of them joined the nazis during ww2

Edited by cyanobacteria
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

it goes back further, im ignorant on the topic but ive known a lot of right wing racist people bordering on nazis since before 2011 who were all autistic metalheads, and this dude at the very least has a history of these associations going back way further

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes

the nazis also propagandized heavily in the nordic region telling them theyre the ideal aryans and they need to come help, and some of them joined the nazis during ww2

Yeah, it definitely goes back further. I'm just saying that it seems as if the 2011 massacre propelled it further into the limelight. I just remember being like "oh great, they have these people too ?"