12 hours ago, phudoshin said:

Out here on the edge of Western Europe, I seem to be the only one of my friends, family, colleagues following the slow legal downfall of Trump and co. I find it absolutely fascinating - the level of the clownshow, the depths of his egregiousness ... its better than any series and the most schadenfreude thing. But nobody seems interested.. everyones jaded and doesn't want to think about the orange idiot and thinks he'll just get away with it... or i just get "why do you care?". Eh hello - its basic human drama on a MASSIVE scale... the lies, the schemes, the grift... a President being so criminal. 

The DOJ is slow and being super meticulous..trying to make it airtight. They're playing a blinder with their tactics on the special master front too. Ive seen every Jan 6th hearing too... just to hear sense been spoken is amazing.  I think he'll go down..... the maga/Qanon folks will fizzle away. surely this kind of stupidity can't survive. Am I naïve AF?

100% absolutely. surrealist madness going on. it's looking an awful lot like trump will be indicted for espionage. and then there's all the rest of it. the coup and his attack on ukraine etc.

• Like 1

i didn't watch the interview but holy shit he's so out of his mind. 

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/22/donald-has-the-right-to-remain-silent-experts-say-trumps-bonkers-fox-interview-could-be-evidence/

Legal experts on Wednesday rejected former President Donald Trump's claim that he could declassify secret national security documents with his mind.

Trump in an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity made a series of claims entirely untethered from reality while defending himself amid an FBI criminal investigation into classified documents seized from his Mar-a-Lago residence.

Trump suggested that last month's FBI search of the property may have actually been in search of Hillary Clinton's deleted emails.

"There's also a lot of speculation, because of what they did, the severity of the FBI coming in, raiding Mar-a-Lago, were they looking for the Hillary Clinton emails that were deleted — but they are around someplace," Trump said.

"There doesn't have to be a process as I understand it," Trump said. "If you're the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying, 'It's declassified,' even by thinking about it because you're sending it to Mar-a-Lago or wherever you're sending it. And there doesn't have to be a process. There can be a process but there doesn't have to be. You're the president. You make that decision. So when you send it, it's declassified. I declassified everything."

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ignatius said:

https://www.salon.com/2022/09/22/donald-has-the-right-to-remain-silent-experts-say-trumps-bonkers-fox-interview-could-be-evidence/

Legal experts on Wednesday rejected former President Donald Trump's claim that he could declassify secret national security documents with his mind.

Trump in an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity made a series of claims entirely untethered from reality while defending himself amid an FBI criminal investigation into classified documents seized from his Mar-a-Lago residence.

Trump suggested that last month's FBI search of the property may have actually been in search of Hillary Clinton's deleted emails.

"There's also a lot of speculation, because of what they did, the severity of the FBI coming in, raiding Mar-a-Lago, were they looking for the Hillary Clinton emails that were deleted — but they are around someplace," Trump said.

"There doesn't have to be a process as I understand it," Trump said. "If you're the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying, 'It's declassified,' even by thinking about it because you're sending it to Mar-a-Lago or wherever you're sending it. And there doesn't have to be a process. There can be a process but there doesn't have to be. You're the president. You make that decision. So when you send it, it's declassified. I declassified everything."

this could easily be a clip used in a PSA. something along the lines of:

"this is what happens to your brain when you spend your entire life lying. when your whole career is based off a lie. when you've lied to everyone around you for so long, you can no longer keep track of the lies. you no longer have the mental ability to answer simple questions, due to the fact you can no longer distinguish reality from fiction. you will eventually end up like this man."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zero said:

this could easily be a clip used in a PSA. something along the lines of:

"this is what happens to your brain when you spend your entire life lying. when your whole career is based off a lie. when you've lied to everyone around you for so long, you can no longer keep track of the lies. you no longer have the mental ability to answer simple questions, due to the fact you can no longer distinguish reality from fiction. you will eventually end up like this man."

"Watch for these signs of the onset of dementia" 

12 hours ago, ignatius said:

AF283674-902D-4152-95F0-DFB86CC20878.jpeg

• Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, phudoshin said:

But by fuck, the propping up done for this guy...

it's sick. in the addiction world this is known as enabling behavior.

look at this shit - 

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/23/trump-midterms-2024-pac-00058515

Donald Trump’s top lieutenants are launching a new super PAC that is expected to spend heavily to bolster his endorsed candidates in the midterm election — and, some people close to the former president say, could become a campaign apparatus if he runs in 2024.

Sanctioned by the former president, the new group, dubbed MAGA, Inc., will become the primary vehicle for Trump’s operation to engage in political activity in 2022. The outfit is designed to funnel large sums into key races and could conceivably be used to boost Trump in the event he seeks the White House again.

the guy's wrapped up in all sorts of legal doo doo. has been accused (and everyone with half a brain knows is true) of pulling ridiculous numbers of scams throughout his entire career, in order to build his trump world empire. and what do these red hat lemmings do? they feed him with more and more cash for him to do fuck knows what with. the scam is being pulled right out in the open, and half the country is still buying into it. it is absolutely bonkers.

but hey, that's what happens when internet becomes the primary way humans digest information. tons and tons of people believe that if it's posted on social media, must be true. so many people have lost their ability their ability to filter out bullshit. there's not even a common variable any more. you can't say that uneducated folks are the ones falling for it, because I personally have a friend who's a doctor, and he believes this Q-anon / fox news bullshit. not even worth arguing anymore. just let it all ride, see what tf happens.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ignatius said:

video footage of trump declassifying documents

Ps7dkOGLmFnBaUKWNC4aEfM1FvODgV2IdIcUOrbF

maybe for donald's next act, he can convince the world he's a psychic. like this dude - 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

i'm sure this'll be fine. 

why can't these fucks just play dungeons and dragons or somethign?? oh right.. they're idiots..

also, wtf.. Az gets super hot all the time. they're gonna drop like flys if they don't get to reup at cracker barrel or get some IV hydration. 

edit: also, someone in the whitehouse was talking to a rioter on jan 6th

Riggleman: White House switchboard called a Capitol rioter on January 6

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/denver-riggleman-white-house-switchboard-capitol-rioter-january-6-60-minutes-2022-09-23/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7d&linkId=182781555

jfc.. if we cant shake loose of this asshole and his goons it's gonna be even more uncomfortable for everyone as the world burns. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, ignatius said:

i'm sure this'll be fine. 

why can't these fucks just play dungeons and dragons or somethign?? oh right.. they're idiots..

also, wtf.. Az gets super hot all the time. they're gonna drop like flys if they don't get to reup at cracker barrel or get some IV hydration. 

edit: also, someone in the whitehouse was talking to a rioter on jan 6th

Riggleman: White House switchboard called a Capitol rioter on January 6

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/denver-riggleman-white-house-switchboard-capitol-rioter-january-6-60-minutes-2022-09-23/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7d&linkId=182781555

jfc.. if we cant shake loose of this asshole and his goons it's gonna be even more uncomfortable for everyone as the world burns. 

I guess the sweatpants with holes were cheaper at Walmart? Which is also where they work, convenient.

Interesting but as with anything trump related… we’ll see. 

the criminal case that was put aside by that newly elected guy, Alan Bragg, always seemed fishy to me. Will be interesting to see what the IRS does and what the 2nd district does. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ignatius said:

Interesting but as with anything trump related… we’ll see. 

they mentioned in that video there's a good chance trump will be "kicked out" of NY, and the empire continues operating out of Florida. and they asked does the US judicial system have the appetite to sentence trump to actual confinement, not just house arrest. IMO these are 2 massive issues with this whole NY attorney general case. I just can't see him actually serving real time after the shit show of a criminal case finally wraps up. that will take how many years? by then he'll be into his 80s, and very well could be back in some political office at that point. that's another one of his plays. get elected a 2nd time so he doesn't have to go to jail lol.

• Like 1

Don’t jump to conclusions too fast. As I suspect they’ve only done a frequency analysis on who texted with Meadows how often. ( he mentions this a bunch of times. Plus he mentions theres still plenty of work) Without looking at the content, or the why. Concluding it’s all Maga is a bit too quick.

So, if - lets say-  Liz Cheney texted with Meadows a bunch of times, she would/could have done so for vastly different reasons than -say- Maga Taylor Green.
Perhaps Liz was concerned and tried to keep stuff from going foobar. While Magz may have been part of the “steal” crowd. Both would show up in the same analysis. Potentially with similar statistics. And calling Liz maga infest is a nono.

Ever heard of the “correlation is not causation” mantra? Or in this case, there might be a correlation between not being vaxxed and not taking any precautions against getting covid at all. Or in other words, this excess death rate could be explained by a number of things. Not just vaxx rate. 

Is this James a scientist? No? A journalist? Well, there you have it. Journalists are awful scientists! Twitter and science don’t mix well.

it’s bs like this which makes it harder to believe anything nowadays. Journalists these days…

• Burger 1

2 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Ever heard of the “correlation is not causation” mantra? Or in this case, there might be a correlation between not being vaxxed and not taking any precautions against getting covid at all. Or in other words, this excess death rate could be explained by a number of things. Not just vaxx rate. 

Is this James a scientist? No? A journalist? Well, there you have it. Journalists are awful scientists! Twitter and science don’t mix well.

it’s bs like this which makes it harder to believe anything nowadays. Journalists these days…

here's the paper he got the info from. it's the link in the first tweet. 

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w30512/w30512.pdf

shrug.

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Anyway. I think the point is there’s 600,000 fewer republicans in Florida and Ohio. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ignatius said:

here's the paper he got the info from. it's the link in the first tweet. 

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w30512/w30512.pdf

shrug.

Thanks! Here's the abstract:

Political affiliation has emerged as a potential risk factor for COVID-19, amid evidence that Republican-leaning counties have had higher COVID-19 death rates than Democrat- leaning counties and evidence of a link between political party affiliation and vaccination views. This study constructs an individual-level dataset with political affiliation and excess death rates during the COVID-19 pandemic via a linkage of 2017 voter registration in Ohio and Florida to mortality data from 2018 to 2021. We estimate substantially higher excess death rates for registered Republicans when compared to registered Democrats, with almost all of the difference concentrated in the period after vaccines were widely available in our study states. Overall, the excess death rate for Republicans was 5.4 percentage points (pp), or 76%, higher than the excess death rate for Democrats. Post- vaccines, the excess death rate gap between Republicans and Democrats widened from 1.6 pp (22% of the Democrat excess death rate) to 10.4 pp (153% of the Democrat excess death rate). The gap in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats is concentrated in counties with low vaccination rates and only materializes after vaccines became widely available.

Evidence of "a link" means there's a correlation. And that doesn't mean there's evidence of a causal relation.

In terms of stuff worth mentioning, here's a couple:

- (again) correlation is not causation (tiresome I know, but needs to be repeated at nauseam. apparently. this was an obvious example. should be able to spot it from a mile) 

- journalists are not scientists

- some journalists have a particularly poor record with fact finding and interpreting said facts. especially when it comes to science. 

- nuance and modern day journalism seem mutually exclusive. 

- twitter is a form of social media. does the term "social media" still need any explanation at this point in time?

- a journalist posting stuff on twitter is not journalism but a form of personal diarrhoea 

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Like 1
  • Burger 1