anyone living in a US state and wanting to help, www.mobilize.us is where you can search for official campaign events for action in your area, where you can help people understand their choices and get ready to vote.

the house is the game. dems need to keep the house. gop doesn't know how to fix inflation, they caused it with their shitshow of a covid response. biden entered office with a country driven into the ground. similar to the handoff from bush to obama: global economic freefall, caused by republican policies.

Edited by trying to be less rude
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

anyone living in a US state and wanting to help, www.mobilize.us is where you can search for official campaign events for action in your area, where you can help people understand their choices and get ready to vote.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

sociology time... serious question, not just trying to be flippant or start a fight, but what do you really think a bunch of like minded individuals in group A, are going to be able to do at this point to sway the individuals in group B? these events strike me as symbolic, showing strength in force...that there are a lot of people that believe in this group minded thinking rather than that other stuff the other group says. and of course try and paint the other group as the bad group (rightfully so).

I'd be very interested to know the effect of events such as this on the people left outside of either group. will it really bring over to team dem the undecided voters at this point? using events as a mass advertising campaign to get those who may be too lazy to care, to get up and vote for the group deemed as more sane right now? or will the undecided show up for the spectacle of the event, then return back to not giving a shit by the time election day happens.

I guess what I'm thinking is it seems past the point of trying to use logic or common sense to get the message across to anyone on the R side of things. so these events will really have no effect on that group. the undecided, or uninterested voters do represent a valid slice of the populace worth trying to get seeing the viewpoint of the most sane group - and vote dem on election day. 

just trying to think from all sides here... my opinion of course is that a vote for R indicates you no longer subscribe to a truth based existence, you are lost in a mental cluster of bullshit you no longer have the mental capacity to cancel out. non factual information has been washed over you so many times, you are brainwashed, susceptible to all sort of looney toon fantasies not rooted anywhere close to reality.

1 hour ago, zero said:

sociology time... serious question, not just trying to be flippant or start a fight, but what do you really think a bunch of like minded individuals in group A, are going to be able to do at this point to sway the individuals in group B?

at this point it's more about mobilization than persuasion. making sure people actually show up and vote.

1 hour ago, zero said:

these events strike me as symbolic, showing strength in force...that there are a lot of people that believe in this group minded thinking rather than that other stuff the other group says. and of course try and paint the other group as the bad group (rightfully so).

weird characterization. activists are individuals operating on the world. in ways it's the opposite of group thinking. each activist is working to push for the change they want. raising awareness is often the thing that's needed, and this is where people cold calling or knocking can achieve impact. if you live in a town and canvased weekly for a year you would have spoken with much of the town. that's how many people get started and run for office.

1 hour ago, zero said:

I'd be very interested to know the effect of events such as this on the people left outside of either group. will it really bring over to team dem the undecided voters at this point?

by event i meant an organizer running a phone bank or something, just to be clear.

like i said, at this point it's more about mobilization. but yeah persuasion can occur, yes. it's as easy as mentioning information. the thing is that we all have different information. it's all flooded and fucked. so yeah just telling people some things you think are important can make an impression on them. of course many people haven't made up their minds! are you kidding? sure i get how some could say people have made up their minds but i call bullshit on that. it's all so complex that no one even knows what's going on. people know that they don't know something for sure, if they are really being honest with themselves. so, i know that people are able to be interested in what is reality.

1 hour ago, zero said:

using events as a mass advertising campaign to get those who may be too lazy to care, to get up and vote for the group deemed as more sane right now?

again, weird characterization and i'm not sure what kind of event you're imagining. i'm talking about stuff like phone banks or canvases or whatever the fuck. go talk to people on discord.

1 hour ago, zero said:

or will the undecided show up for the spectacle of the event, then return back to not giving a shit by the time election day happens.

no you don't really know what you're talking about. click the link mobilize.us

1 hour ago, zero said:

I guess what I'm thinking is it seems past the point of trying to use logic or common sense to get the message across to anyone on the R side of things.

see above regarding mobilization and it being possible to inform people of stuff they will find interesting when doing persuasion

1 hour ago, zero said:

so these events will really have no effect on that group. the undecided, or uninterested voters do represent a valid slice of the populace worth trying to get seeing the viewpoint of the most sane group - and vote dem on election day. 

i guess millions of activists have it wrong and there's no reason to do anything or raise awareness or communicate about things you think are important related to collective self-governance

1 hour ago, zero said:

just trying to think from all sides here... my opinion of course is that a vote for R indicates you no longer subscribe to a truth based existence, you are lost in a mental cluster of bullshit you no longer have the mental capacity to cancel out. non factual information has been washed over you so many times, you are brainwashed, susceptible to all sort of looney toon fantasies not rooted anywhere close to reality.

heh. again, just making the difference between that 20% of people who were gonna say "fuck it" on election day and not show up actually just being 10% of people saying "fuck it" that's 10% swing in your vote tally. so yeah mobilization is huge right now. they call it get out the vote

13 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

at this point it's more about mobilization than persuasion. making sure people actually show up and vote.

yes, a call to folks reminding them don't forget to vote. makes sense.

activists are individuals operating on the world. in ways it's the opposite of group thinking. each activist is working to push for the change they want. 

they're pushing for a change "they" want, which falls in line with the rest of the group, no? I don't think they're pushing for any sort of change that falls outside of the group lines. not trying to be overly pedantic, only try to take a look at all this from a human behavior perspective.

by event i meant an organizer running a phone bank or something, just to be clear.

understood. yeah I also take event to mean any sort of activity mobilizing people to get out and vote.

but yeah persuasion can occur, yes. it's as easy as mentioning information. the thing is that we all have different information. it's all flooded and fucked. so yeah just telling people some things you think are important can make an impression on them. of course many people haven't made up their minds! are you kidding? sure i get how some could say people have made up their minds but i call bullshit on that. it's all so complex that no one even knows what's going on. people know that they don't know something for sure, if they are really being honest with themselves. so, i know that people are able to be interested in what is reality.

see this is what I'm getting at in regards to persuasion. you're hoping the people you reach through this activity to vote for the dems, therefore some type of persuasion is present. you're not hoping to get more of them to vote team R surely. but at this time, again my opinion, seems that anyone that is still supporting the R party right now is a truly lost cause. there is no amount of correct or truthful information in the world that may be able to bring these folks back to reality. therefore any sort of persuasion is going to fall on deaf ears. there won't be any impact on this group, which unfortunately still represents nearly half the fucking country. I don't think these people are looking for truth/reality as you've indicated...they are happy being spoon fed more lies from maga man and the rest.

so then the next group to persuade is the undecided folks, or the people who normally don't vote because they think it's all a bunch of BS. will these persuasion type activities work? that is what I don't know, and why I threw this out there on here.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your points, as you seem to be taking somewhat of a defensive stance on some of it, as if I'm trying to somehow prove you wrong. I'm not hoping to achieve that at all. I wanted to toss out something I viewed as taking a critical thinking stance on the question of whether or not will the activities you promoted by posting a link actually have the intended result? 

I mean I think it is totally bonkers that anyone would vote for the R party at this point in time. the fact that the R/D divide in this country is still nearly 50% is insane to me. if we are stuck with this 2 party system, then you show up and vote for the lesser of 2 evils is how I view it.

politics in general is a farce. half truths and empty promises fed to people by politicians in order to keep the population in these happy bubbles of self centered thinking. they know most peoples minds are corruptible. they feed them with the kool aid they need to slog through existence. then end of the day, everyone is still unhappy or scared about the future. there is no true problem solving in politics, only pass the buck, and keep the system fed, so the next member of the team can step up and replace the current leader.

the way I see it is there's either truth or there's bullshit. it's that simple. live your live according to facts and truth, and you're better off because of it. believe in lies and bullshit, then your life is going to be a mess. 

On 11/5/2022 at 9:27 AM, zero said:

but at this time, again my opinion, seems that anyone that is still supporting the R party right now is a truly lost cause.

they're victims of deceit. i think it's dangerous to spread ideas like people being lost causes

there is no amount of correct or truthful information in the world that may be able to bring these folks back to reality.

unfortunately, for many victims of deceit, it truly will be quite the difficult endeavor to unfuck their minds. i think we have never been in this place before, with regard to the exact type of brainwashing that has been deployed at scale. it's the zombie apocalypse

therefore any sort of persuasion is going to fall on deaf ears.

here you make a sweeping generalization that we both know is not precisely accurate. some people can be persuaded to change how they would cast a vote. it may be around 1% but it is not 0 people. 

also, demobilizing the right helps and can occur, which is not a full persuasion conversion but it is a degree of impact that can be significant.

also, you may be missing that GOTV events provide a list of specific people to contact with known party affiliation and other data on them. we are not randomly approaching anyone. we're mobilizing dems

I don't think these people are looking for truth/reality as you've indicated...they are happy being spoon fed more lies from maga man and the rest.

i have to point out the generalization again. but yeah many people would be difficult to persuade, unfortunately. not because they have good or accurate reasoning, just because their minds are the target these days and the assault is massive

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your points, as you seem to be taking somewhat of a defensive stance on some of it, as if I'm trying to somehow prove you wrong.

you did come out rather insulting and casting negative aspersions on an activity that is not only appropriate and positive but actually direly needed. i'm not upset i'm just addressing your points wihch were in many places off-base, and i wanted to clarify.

I wanted to toss out something I viewed as taking a critical thinking stance on the question of whether or not will the activities you promoted by posting a link actually have the intended result? 

yeah no i get that and i appreciate the discussion. 

I mean I think it is totally bonkers that anyone would vote for the R party at this point in time. the fact that the R/D divide in this country is still nearly 50% is insane to me. if we are stuck with this 2 party system, then you show up and vote for the lesser of 2 evils is how I view it.

people don't appreciate what's going on. info is invisible so we don't realize the massive shift in the environment. it's as though the sky transformed into something else, over the last 20 years. the flood is really fucking things. we are forced to create a new way for people to be informed. i hope it doesn't take a hundred years

politics in general is a farce. half truths and empty promises fed to people by politicians in order to keep the population in these happy bubbles of self centered thinking. they know most peoples minds are corruptible. they feed them with the kool aid they need to slog through existence. then end of the day, everyone is still unhappy or scared about the future. there is no true problem solving in politics, only pass the buck, and keep the system fed, so the next member of the team can step up and replace the current leader.

the way I see it is there's either truth or there's bullshit. it's that simple. live your live according to facts and truth, and you're better off because of it. believe in lies and bullshit, then your life is going to be a mess. 

the sweeping generalizations are not healthy. the most virtuous person you ever met in your life could run for office and win. some elected officials are similarly virtuous.

i will grant you that they will always be politicians, by definition. but that's a tautological argument. they are going to be accustomed to talking their way around to the talking points they want to hit, and talking their way out of talking points they don't want to talk about. so that is one of the things that makes it hard for people to figure out what's going on. the messaging always has that aspect to it. but that's just the nature of the domain. and that does not mean that "everything is lies" which frankly is ridiculous and childish. that is the lie, spreading that idea...

7 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

you did come out rather insulting and casting negative aspersions on an activity that is not only appropriate and positive but actually direly needed. 

genuinely interested to know why you interpreted me attempting to question an activity as objectively as possible, as negativity/insulting? if you did take offense, then my apologies. bottom line, if these activities you're promoting are helpful and do work, then that's great. if they have little effect, then they should be questioned. I don't know the true effect here of said activities, therefore wanted to question it. I know advertising, campaigning, phone bank, online whatever is all the norm. this has been this way for quite some time now. it just seems like to me it is more noise that people have become accustomed to, and therefore may begin to tune out, therefore not making much of an impact as hoped. just wondering if there's a better way, that's all. 

the most virtuous person you ever met in your life could run for office and win. some elected officials are similarly virtuous.

yeah it certainly doesn't seem that way to me. but again, as you pointed out, I am using generalizations to make assumptions based off of stimuli I've been exposed to either online or IRL. this has created my perspective on it, which I am open to change. if I am given proof of something as factual and this differs with my previously held belief, then absolutely, it is a-ha moment time. with that said, I do not hold the most positive view on politics/politicians. the bad ones give such a bad name to all of it, which sucks I know. the media should be highlighting more of the good shit the good ones do...but good press doesn't generate click revenue the way bad behavior press does, unfortunately. 

there's also the whole power leads to corruption argument that could apply here in regards to elected officials, leading to a negative view of them. another generalization, yes, but one in which most people are surely familiar with. not just bribes corruption, but the act of being in power will eventually lead to corruption of a person's integrity or moral character. that generalization tends to counteract with being virtuous. harmful to think this way? helpful? I don't really know...

i will grant you that they will always be politicians, by definition. but that's a tautological argument. they are going to be accustomed to talking their way around to the talking points they want to hit, and talking their way out of talking points they don't want to talk about. so that is one of the things that makes it hard for people to figure out what's going on. the messaging always has that aspect to it. but that's just the nature of the domain. and that does not mean that "everything is lies" which frankly is ridiculous and childish. that is the lie, spreading that idea...

see that's the thing I've always not liked about politicians. they can never answer a damn question directly. a direct question will receive a direct answer when you are spitting nothing but fireballs of truth. when they are asked a question and start talking about something else entirely right off the bat, take 2-3 minutes to make a fucking attempt at answering the question, then yeah...it DOES make it hard for people to figure out what's going on sometimes. I just don't like that tactic, and try my hardest not to act like that IRL. people like this have to try and sell you on their argument first, before they get to something a little more factual. wade through the BS to get something useful.

but yeah...I get that this is how it is, how it's always been, and how it will no doubt be going forward. is it right for politicians to act like this? I certainly don't think so. is it that most humans can't handle that much truthfulness coming from our elected leaders, that it is the leaders job to massage the message into something much more palatable, so people don't all lose their shit? I guess so. and that too is on some level, a form of brainwashing. 

5 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

imagine thinking electoralism can work, look at the situation we're in now, we've had electoralism for centuries LMAO

umm..... just vote the facsism away............. -____-

1 hour ago, milkface said:

umm..... just vote the facsism away............. -____-

yeah. it's always about harm reduction... then ya get on w/your life and try to improve your community w/mutual aid networks and stuff. 

If the GOP wins control of Congress, it seems their first order or business is repeal the Inflation Reduction Act, and impeach Biden for being a Democrat. Things are going to get worse before they get better. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, zero said:

genuinely interested to know why you interpreted me attempting to question an activity as objectively as possible, as negativity/insulting?

you inaccurately described electoral activism in a negative way. you described it as pointless and the participants being wrong and naive to try to do anything.  

22 hours ago, zero said:

if you did take offense, then my apologies.

no problem. i use strong medicine because we're in a state of info war so i hope you appreciate i didn't mean ill will toward you.

22 hours ago, zero said:

bottom line, if these activities you're promoting are helpful and do work, then that's great.

they are and they do

22 hours ago, zero said:

if they have little effect, then they should be questioned.

more voters will turn out in a town that is well canvased. if the difference is 1% or 5% then you may consider that little but 1% is often the margin in elections. and all those 1%s add up to more. this is the electoral battle. 

22 hours ago, zero said:

I know advertising, campaigning, phone bank, online whatever is all the norm. this has been this way for quite some time now. it just seems like to me it is more noise that people have become accustomed to, and therefore may begin to tune out, therefore not making much of an impact as hoped. just wondering if there's a better way, that's all. 

canvasing is statistically the most effective. i like it so that's what i do. put yourself in front of people and you will find, if they answer the door, they are interested to talk.

in terms of other avenues, sure. i bet discord chatter moves a lot of people's opinions. similarly to some extent tweets or watmm posts may result in changing the way some people think about some things. plenty of room for innovation. different campaigns embrace innovative approaches to different degrees. but as a citizen anyone is welcome to raise awareness about things they consider important however they want.

22 hours ago, zero said:

yeah it certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

the more you follow the story of current events the more you get to know the characters and eventually you will find those that you like. i'm aware of multiple house reps, governors, senators, etc who i consider excellent people. i'm a big biden and obama fan, for example. they are real public servants. 

22 hours ago, zero said:

but again, as you pointed out, I am using generalizations to make assumptions based off of stimuli I've been exposed to either online or IRL. this has created my perspective on it, which I am open to change. if I am given proof of something as factual and this differs with my previously held belief, then absolutely, it is a-ha moment time.

nice, man. stay thoughtful like that.

22 hours ago, zero said:

the bad ones give such a bad name to all of it, which sucks I know. the media should be highlighting more of the good shit the good ones do...but good press doesn't generate click revenue the way bad behavior press does, unfortunately. 

the info space is flooded and we are evolving a new social system for helping to guide each other toward accurate info. click bait is the temptation that too many outlets fall prey to and consumers are responsible to force good journalism by supporting the good and calling out the bad. 

i am now noticing you hail from texas so i get your perspective more easily now. in rightist ecosystems they try to make the left seem just as bad. this is the grand strategy. they immediately and preemptively deploy mirror messaging that accuses the dems of whatever the right could be called out for. fox news 24 hours a day works to spread misinformation about the left. the gop works in a symbiotic way with rightist media to reinforce such narratives, and the result is that people think both sides are fucked. i can tell you that this is a strategy whereby the right deceives people to think the left is rather nefarious when in fact it is manufactured crap. this is how the right can win when they have devolved into a husk that caters to the rich and mega corporations while holding power through engineered and manipulative narratives.

22 hours ago, zero said:

the act of being in power will eventually lead to corruption of a person's integrity or moral character. that generalization tends to counteract with being virtuous. harmful to think this way? helpful? I don't really know...

sure and some resist the tendency to degrade better than others. conscience is real and morality is inherent. most people have some goodness and some people are exceptionally moral.

22 hours ago, zero said:

see that's the thing I've always not liked about politicians. they can never answer a damn question directly. a direct question will receive a direct answer when you are spitting nothing but fireballs of truth. when they are asked a question and start talking about something else entirely right off the bat, take 2-3 minutes to make a fucking attempt at answering the question, then yeah...it DOES make it hard for people to figure out what's going on sometimes. I just don't like that tactic, and try my hardest not to act like that IRL. people like this have to try and sell you on their argument first, before they get to something a little more factual. wade through the BS to get something useful.

there's no non-politician politician. it's kind of a funny trick if anyone claims to not be a politician while running for office. they have statistics in their head about their voting base and the segments of voters and what messages they want to get out etc. it makes it hard for people to get a sense of the real person from the messaging. but i think that's just how it has to be, by the nature of it. 

22 hours ago, zero said:

is it right for politicians to act like this? I certainly don't think so. is it that most humans can't handle that much truthfulness coming from our elected leaders, that it is the leaders job to massage the message into something much more palatable, so people don't all lose their shit? I guess so. and that too is on some level, a form of brainwashing. 

better officials are good at speaking more plainly. obama and biden are good at it. 

another reason why they talk that way is that they are professionals in the field of public policy so you will get a geeky answer from a geek. so the lingo has that politician feel as a result of multiple things: they are cagey about losing voters, motivated to hit their messaging points, and also they try to communicate information that is accurately representing the intricacies of public policy, which is often too in-the-weeds for people to process and their eyes glaze over.

another reason activism is needed, to help people understand what is going on..

The next evolution of the Big Lie going forward: all mail-in ballots are fake. Say Kari Lake becomes Governor of Arizona, which she likely will, she will definitely pass some fucked up election laws before the 2024 election, then she will refuse to certify her state’s votes if they favor a Democrat POTUS candidate, then she will say throw out all of the mail-in ballots, then she will appoint a bullshit slate of false electors to give the state to the Republicans. And no one will be able to stop her. She might even say some dumb shit like “No ballots will be counted after midnight on Election Day.” Other GOP Governors will follow suit and refuse to certify their states’ electors. It will be utter chaos. ?? 

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

The next evolution of the Big Lie going forward: all mail-in ballots are fake. Say Kari Lake becomes Governor of Arizona, which she likely will, she will definitely pass some fucked up election laws before the 2024 election, then she will refuse to certify her state’s votes if they favor a Democrat POTUS candidate, then she will say throw out all of the mail-in ballots, then she will appoint a bullshit slate of false electors to give the state to the Republicans. And no one will be able to stop her. She might even say some dumb shit like “No ballots will be counted after midnight on Election Day.” Other GOP Governors will follow suit and refuse to certify their states’ electors. It will be utter chaos. ?? 

there are the

• state attorney general
  • state sec of state
  • governor

positions that trump has marshalled trumpist candidates for, paving the way for a worse coup attempt in 2024. kari lake, in az, as you mention, is pure trump fascism and venemous election deceit

and then there's a gop house impeaching biden because they can over ice cream or something

but wait, there's more. trump has ensured that he will be indicted by doj, by stealing state secrets and refusing to give them back. what does a gop house do in response? impeach garland? defund doj? attacking doj is profoundly dangerous, as in: last stop before fascism. we know from jeffrey berman's book that trump administration was heavily influencing improper activity within doj. very very scary stuff

and then there's: if people want trump to pay for his attack on the US, they should help dems keep the house. the jan 6 committee subpoenaed trump and doj has demonstrated its willingness to enforce congressional subpoenas with prison time. see: bannon. if the jan 6 committee continues then i have reason to think trump could face trial for not only espionage but also sedition.

www.vote.org 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, trying to be less rude said:

there are the

• state attorney general
  • state sec of state
  • governor

don't forget hundreds of local sheriffs who believe the big lie and are waiting to get involved and disregard federal law

Edited by ignatius
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, trying to be less rude said:

you inaccurately described electoral activism in a negative way. you described it as pointless and the participants being wrong and naive to try to do anything.  

again, I was just trying to question its effectiveness. sometimes by taking a step back, and looking at it in terms of will these actions produce the desired result, you may begin to question the process. these activist type activities in question have been the M.O. for a how long...past 100 or so years? they have been developed to fit the modern era, I get that, but is there another way...I don't know. just food for thought is what I was hoping to get across. but I do see the way I questioned this initially came across as it isn't working, therefore what's the point.

look man, I too want the same thing as you - not let the crazy R party gain any more traction in this country, as they are doing hella damage right now to the American psyche, and all the other bad shit too lengthy to list out here. it just seems like we go through the same activities time after time, the same freakin process - political ad campaigns, town halls, activism, go to a building and push some buttons on a voting machine - and we are still at like 50/50 in terms of political divide in the US. why is this? if 1 party is in fact far more truthful than the other, than it should be a no brainer to vote for the most truthful, accurate group providing us with information, rather than the guys who don't even attempt to hide the lies any more. but humans be humans, they think they all know more than the next guy, so then they don't want to accept accurate information when it is like right there in front of them! so then you start thinking if campaigning/activism/or similar isn't working...what else? 

queue an old Simpsons episode, the one where Flanders is like the overlord of civilization or something. sends all the populace to the re-neducation center to be brainwashed to his way of doing things, teaches them how to say okily dokily or some shit...joking of course, but maybe in some possible version of the future, we'll get chips implanted in our brains that allow humans to better be able to detect bullshit. or go backwards and full frontal lobotomize the shit outta everyone haha

no worries. i like a debate.

8 hours ago, zero said:

it just seems like we go through the same activities time after time, the same freakin process - political ad campaigns, town halls, activism, go to a building and push some buttons on a voting machine - and we are still at like 50/50 in terms of political divide in the US. why is this? if 1 party is in fact far more truthful than the other, than it should be a no brainer to vote for the most truthful, accurate group providing us with information, rather than the guys who don't even attempt to hide the lies any more. but humans be humans, they think they all know more than the next guy, so then they don't want to accept accurate information when it is like right there in front of them! so then you start thinking if campaigning/activism/or similar isn't working...what else? 

deceit is a powerful tool, and the internet was just a huge multiplier for it. we're at a point of social evolution because information flows transformed radically over 15 years. there's a run on people's minds. people need to keep an eye on each other and we will emerge out the other side. big election tomorrow. vote.org to find your voting location and check registration

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trying to be less rude said:

we're at a point of social evolution because information flows transformed radically over 15 years. there's a run on people's minds. people need to keep an eye on each other and we will emerge out the other side.

that's exactly it. last 15 years or so also correlate with the rise of social media. coincidence? I think not...

• Like 3