24 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

I'll admit that nationally I'm going by 2016 and 2017 numbers where Sanders' support was majority female/non-white but I can definitely say on a personal level the vast majority of Sanders supporters I've met in person are white and Hispanic women.  By far.

White guys are mostly apolitical "both sides are the same" types. in my experience.

Clinton definitely did better among the non-white persons in the 2016 primaries, i think she did better with women too but i could be wrong about that (but i doubt it). so, i think you might start to notice a pattern here....the narrative of your personal experience, tho it is important of course, doesn't line up with the broader scope of things. Sanders supporters are for the most part males, and he is not leading among the non-white crowd in polls. (that, again, is Biden)

that said, the polls aren't everything of course, as Buttigieg's seeming lead (as of now with 62% reporting) in Iowa shows. he was third/fourth in most polls for the past month-ish, iirc.

Iowa probably won't be the first state to get results anymore, since it's not a good state to paint an accurate picture of what will happen. They also fucked everything up so people be like "lol ok Iowa wtf."

21 minutes ago, Candiru said:

Iowa probably won't be the first state to get results anymore, since it's not a good state to paint an accurate picture of what will happen. They also fucked everything up so people be like "lol ok Iowa wtf."

it doesn't matter. .the state DNC or whoever kinda decide when they're primary will be.  in recent years other states have made theirs happen sooner. 

it's a fucking weird system honestly

lot to say but I'll stick with a couple things:

Bernie is here to stay and I think he'll excel in Nevada, the ex-Clinton staff create app that boosted Buttigieg was a preview of the DNC's true desperation, and above all else I'm glad that Biden's momentum is gone, 4th place at 12%. I hope he rides off into the Boomer sunset after Super Tuesday. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Bernie is here to stay and I think he'll excel in Nevada, the ex-Clinton staff create app that boosted Buttigieg was a preview of the DNC's true desperation, and above all else I'm glad that Biden's momentum is gone, 4th place at 12%. I hope he rides off into the Boomer sunset after Super Tuesday. 

first of all, the DNC doesn't run the Iowa caucus. secondly, the app and the handling of all this is a shitshow but the conspiracy theories are ludicrous. haven't seen a single shred of evidence to suggest anything other than the Iowa Dem Party's incompetence. 

anyway.....Bernie's got a shot, but this ain't anywhere near over, if anything this whole thing is perhaps more competitive now.

Biden's still got plenty on his side nationally, but this could be the start of a real decline of course.

i'd say Pete's got the largest bump from this (so far, results still coming in and this is going to be a story for a few more days it seems), but Warren's not in a bad position either, everyone in the top 4 is in a position to make some moves

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Vote not fully counted yet I think (3% left?). But of course how convenient for Pete ButtKeg to be the temporary winner for two days and get as much media coverage as possible and then Sanders conveniently takes the lead as the very last votes are counted.

I'm willing to bet this will happen again, and it'll be chalked up to conspiracy theories from the crazy Bernie Bros, even though it's obvious they undermine him in any way they can without actually changing the votes. Whether they end up closing polling locations early Bernie is more likely to win in, or spending days counting votes and letting the guy they like have the initial press coverage. A blind person can see what is going on.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

I'm willing to bet this will happen again. They may pull a different trick out of their hat though.

define the 'they' and the 'trick' and maybe i'll take you up on the bet.

Sanders and Buttigieg are neck and neck still, final tallies are not in. both did very well considering, but Sanders shooting his load today with a 'victory' speech isn't much better than Pete doing it earlier in the week. neither's correct. yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

I wonder what kind of dirt Trump's team will dig out to smear Sanders when he gets the nomination. Maybe some of his sex texts from the 70s again?

They’ll just keep accusing him of being a communist, and it’ll probably work

3 minutes ago, custom knob said:

They’ll just keep accusing him of being a communist, and it’ll probably work

lol. Reminds me of all those hit pieces on Bernie back in 2016 about Bernie having some kind of affiliation with Cuba. IDK how well it worked, but for like a week Bernie went on CNN, MSNBC and they all asked him about his affiliation with Cuba, as if it was true.

The media is a joke.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 2

Trump tards pretty much label anyone even remotely left of them commies at this point. They're basically the KKK, McCarthyists, and drunken NFL fans put together.

11 hours ago, auxien said:

ftfy

You forgot to mention Pete bribing Shadow Inc to boost his poll number. Putting words in my mouth hasn't swayed my political sub-allegiance, but regardless your attempt is admirable.

Edited by ambergonk

1 hour ago, ambergonk said:

Trump tards pretty much label anyone even remotely left of them commies at this point. They're basically the KKK, McCarthyists, and drunken NFL fans put together.

Yep. Tho do feel similarly being fairly liberal since I consider the democrats a fairly conservative party. Though I don't think conservatives are fascist, and thought people were going overboard when they compared Trump to Hitler. Though plenty of neo-nazi types like Trump... because as they say he "Says what we're all thinking".

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, auxien said:

define the 'they' and the 'trick' and maybe i'll take you up on the bet.

Sanders and Buttigieg are neck and neck still, final tallies are not in. both did very well considering, but Sanders shooting his load today with a 'victory' speech isn't much better than Pete doing it earlier in the week. neither's correct. yet.

I just realized you thought I meant that Pete has had the Iowa caucus rigged to take away votes or something. What I meant is the hate boner the media have for Bernie which is undeniable... hence the short reply. They usually treat him with mild contempt, and treat their favorite candidates (and republicans) with kid gloves and constantly undermine Bernie and his campaign.

It's not illegal to dislike someone and choose to ignore that person. But it is obvious they are trying to stop Bernie from winning in any way they can by associating him with Cuba for instance. So it has a ripple effect on things like name recognition, especially to the poor souls who think cable news is being truthful to them.

I don't think it was literally rigged, but they sure did push Pete as "winning big" and didn't mention Sanders for as long as they could. Now the narrative is shifting to them having a kind of tie, and it seems fitting they name Pete first before Bernie. I mean, it IS basically a tie, but still.

Edited by Brisbot

1 hour ago, Brisbot said:

Yep. Tho do feel similarly being fairly liberal since I consider the democrats a fairly conservative party. Though I don't think conservatives are fascist, and thought people were going overboard when they compared Trump to Hitler. Though plenty of neo-nazi types like Trump... because as they say he "Says what we're all thinking".

if you consider democrats a fairly conservative party you're moving left of liberal and should abandon your attachment to that term.  democrats are liberals.

9 hours ago, ambergonk said:

You forgot to mention Pete bribing Shadow Inc to boost his poll number. Putting words in my mouth hasn't swayed my political sub-allegiance, but regardless your attempt is admirable.

wasn't attempting to sway anyone, just pointing out the ridiculous claims you were implying. you really think he bought Iowa with 50k* to a software app? if he did that and had it on lock, why did he spend millions upon millions there in the last few months? why did he have more outreach hubs than anyone else in the state.... just to keep up the illusion that he worked for it, when really he had this back pocket Shadow Inc ace in the hole the entire time? is that the premise of this conspiracy theory? just trying to clarify for my own amusement.

and what about Gillibrand's significant 'bribe' to Shadow Inc? she was also trying to buy Iowa with...40k*? really did help her out, she almost won Iowa! :cisfor:

*(the contribution numbers may be off slightly here, i dont remember exacts)

10 hours ago, ambergonk said:

tards? like tardigrades? i hope you're not meaning something else, 'cause that's the kind of language i hear from Trump's MAGA idiots, racists, McCarthyists, and drunken NFL fans. pretty weak if so.

8 hours ago, Brisbot said:

I just realized you thought I meant that Pete has had the Iowa caucus rigged to take away votes or something. What I meant is the hate boner the media have for Bernie which is undeniable... hence the short reply. They usually treat him with mild contempt, and treat their favorite candidates (and republicans) with kid gloves and constantly undermine Bernie and his campaign.

It's not illegal to dislike someone and choose to ignore that person. But it is obvious they are trying to stop Bernie from winning in any way they can by associating him with Cuba for instance. So it has a ripple effect on things like name recognition, especially to the poor souls who think cable news is being truthful to them.

I don't think it was literally rigged, but they sure did push Pete as "winning big" and didn't mention Sanders for as long as they could. Now the narrative is shifting to them having a kind of tie, and it seems fitting they name Pete first before Bernie. I mean, it IS basically a tie, but still.

Pete's the new hotness, so yeah they probably are pushing him. i honestly haven't been seeing much if any cable news regarding it this week, just skimming the facts from reputable reporting online. Bernie was polling near the top for the past few weeks or month-ish so that's a little less 'exciting' than Pete having been labeled 3rd or 4th in many polls recently coming out of nowhere to win/co-win with Bernie. that's just basic news media, nothing too surprising or anything.

idk that it's 'obvious' they're 'trying to stop Bernie' because that'd imply they’re in league with the Democratic party and doing their bidding. and if that's what you're thinking, then youre about one step away from Trumpian "FAKE NEWS!" conspiracy. i mean if there's proof of that then i'm all ears, please do show it. but one news cycle 4 years ago about Cuba isn't anything serious in the grand scheme of things. 

i'm kind of agreeing with you for the most in case it's not clear...it may appear that Pete's getting the skew and the biggest push, but it's not without reason that it appears that way. could be as simple as Pete's and Bernie's media strategies are keying in on different things....could very much be the case in fact, Bernie's team playing into that narrative because it's obviously what gets all the Bernie voters riled up. nonetheless, Bernie's name is definitely out there and he's definitely being acknowledged from what i've seen. lots of stuff in the last day or two when he did his claiming victory of the popular vote in Iowa. 

6 hours ago, Mesh Gear Fox said:

they're the most conservative liberals possible, though.

y'all can't go splitting hairs over things when there's (effectively) only two parties in this entire country. lots of people identify as Democrats, and lots of people identify as Republicans. 

Edited by auxien

10 minutes ago, auxien said:

tards? like tardigrades? i hope you're not meaning something else, 'cause that's the kind of language i hear from Trump's MAGA idiots, racists, McCarthyists, and drunken NFL fans. pretty weak if so.

he means retard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darreichungsform said:

Retardation is a medical condition and shouldn't be joked about or used pejoratively. It's something Hitler would do

No, Hitler had tards killed.

Also, no Trump voters in Nazi Germany. So ...