5 hours ago, caze said:

ah yes, liberals, those famous fans of the monarchy. :facepalm:

I never said it was ok, I said it has nothing to do with the argument we're having, this is why it's shifting the goal posts. you're not very bright, are you?

I have not shifted the goal posts, you accused me of making a claim that I did not make, then when I pointed out the fact that I did not make that claim, and also responded to your claim, you accused me of moving the goalposts.  It is you who is not bright.  You are also a conservative which is worse than being not bright, even if I was not bright.  Also you're an ableist, or you are intending to be.

Edited by Zeffolia

19 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

are you just unaware of the changes in the economy recently that make things hard for young people

19 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

"go vote" is easy to say when you live in an area that isn't suffering voting discrimination.  go to a majority black neighborhood in a rural ex-confederate area and see how easy it is to vote

18 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

i didn't shift the goalposts,

From young people to majority black neighbourhoods (which includes more than young people) is definitely shifting the goalposts.

You also seem to lump all young people together, and assume that they will vote en mass. For example, the issue of student loan debt forgiveness. It is an important issue, and one that deserves to be taken seriously, with serious policy options developed around it. An yet, this is not an issue that affects the majority of "young" (18-29 year olds) people. Only 33% of that population have student loan debt. So again, while it is an important issue, it's not going to be the unifying rallying cry that many seem to think it is.

A better approach would be to focus on wages (not class warfare - although the wealth gap is an issue, you will have a difficult time making that resonate with many American voters), as all workers would like to see wages increase (employers will give a more mixed response, but many will support increased wages, as happy workers are productive workers).

You need to take small steps, burning things down will get you nowhere, as people often prioritize self-interest over the greater social good. And the rhetoric of calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a "republican" (lol I live in Canada) or an "ableist" is not a productive method of communication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

From young people to majority black neighbourhoods (which includes more than young people) is definitely shifting the goalposts.

You also seem to lump all young people together, and assume that they will vote en mass. For example, the issue of student loan debt forgiveness. It is an important issue, and one that deserves to be taken seriously, with serious policy options developed around it. An yet, this is not an issue that affects the majority of "young" (18-29 year olds) people. Only 33% of that population have student loan debt. So again, while it is an important issue, it's not going to be the unifying rallying cry that many seem to think it is.

A better approach would be to focus on wages (not class warfare - although the wealth gap is an issue, you will have a difficult time making that resonate with many American voters), as all workers would like to see wages increase (employers will give a more mixed response, but many will support increased wages, as happy workers are productive workers).

You need to take small steps, burning things down will get you nowhere, as people often prioritize self-interest over the greater social good. And the rhetoric of calling anyone who doesn't agree with you a "republican" (lol I live in Canada) or an "ableist" is not a productive method of communication.

ok reformist

Is that an admission to the "moving goalpost"-argument? Or a broader "ok, i'm wrong in general"? Can't believe either, btw. Will we ever find out? Zeff, if you please...

South Korea, a country one-sixth the size of the U.S. in population, is reportedly testing 15,000 people per day. CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield noted that officials there are using automated, high-volume testing systems capable of processing thousands of samples at a time. In contrast, the equipment used by most U.S. state and local labs requires technicians to manually process each sample in small batches, sometimes 100 or fewer per day.

The testing process in the U.S. requires mixing various chemicals to setup chain reactions that extract genetic information from patients’ swabs. Each lab must fine-tune the process on its own equipment, something experts have likened to perfecting a new recipe.

Unlike countries with centralized, government-based health care systems, the U.S. response is fragmented between public labs and private efforts by hospitals, universities and diagnostic companies.

AP

Just sayin.

I guess these "automated, high-volume testing systems capable of processing thousands of samples at a time" are too sophisticated for the US? 

(i believe the availability of this technology has a bigger impact than the difference between centralized or other systems, btw)

Edited by goDel

4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Just sayin.

Worth pointing out that the South Korean system is very different from what Bernie is proposing, the majority of SK health care is paid for with private insurance, though everyone has a right to the public option. Also in terms of the testing, it was virtually all carried out by private companies, and was not free, this would be illegal to do in the US because of FDA regulations (they've just approved a new test today so the numbers of tests should start increasing rapidly now).

The type of medical system in use doesn't seem to have much to do with the success or failure of the response to the virus either, there are examples of shit responses in countries with public health systems (like the UK - which is fully government operated, not just insurance, and not a great system overall) or mixed public/private systems (like Italy - one of the world's best), and great responses from countries with mixed public/private systems like South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore. The most important factor seems to be government competence, not the particular type of system in place.

• Like 2

It’s not the DNC that conspiring against Bernie. It’s clearly the voters. 

I still don’t understand this myth that Bernie is more electable in November than Biden. Is it just constant memes and reinforcement from social media? 

Bernie is set to get stomped in the primary in Florida by Biden. Why would you feel more comfortable with Bernie winning Florida in November, when actual Dem voters are the ones preventing that from happening... right now? 

18 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

more proof that everyone defending biden is a pathetic piece of shit

"let's just elect a fucking senile moron because he's more electable"

this country will get what it deserves when it's destroyed from the inside out.  at least the US empire will fall if this country fails

• Facepalm 2

do you think mainstream media will for even a moment point out how biden is a fucking senile moron? no because the capitalists who own these companies want biden to protect their capital

anyone defending biden in any way is a naive tool of the bourgeoisie, and I pity them

• Facepalm 2

18 minutes ago, Zeffolia said:

do you think mainstream media will for even a moment point out how biden is a fucking senile moron? no because the capitalists who own these companies want biden to protect their capital

they're also funding his campaign eg. mike bloomberg who owns businessweek + bloomberg news. not exactly going to have your own paper attack the very guy you just endorsed.

it's also the politics within politics: biden's a dnc folk hero. he ran with obama. he's pals with hillary. he's been in the senate since the 70s and even ran for president in 88 and 08. this is his last chance to fulfill everything he's ever lied and stolen for. trump did it. why can't he? he's so close. 

sanders is an independent since the earth was formed. he's been calling the DNC out for their corruption since the 70s. he's the thorn they just can never seem to get rid of. and to make matters worse; the DNC can't figure out why young people keep voting for him. young people don't vote. celebrity endorsements didn't work for hillary. why is this guy so popular with them? doesn't he (and those stupid young kids) realize money is the grease that keeps the political wheels turning? can't bernie just play along- drop out and everyone just rally around biden? 

why is this proving to be so difficult

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

sanders is an independent since the earth was formed. he's been calling the DNC out for their corruption since the 70s. 

he hates the DNC so much that he keeps trying (and failing) to infiltrate their organization and shoot straight to the top to take their most coveted spot, the nomination for president. can't imagine why they'd not want him there since he's been railing against them for decades. can't they see it'd be good to go against what most of their voters want? DNC is so crazy!!

:cat:

Edited by auxien
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, auxien said:

he hates the DNC so much that he keeps trying (and failing) to infiltrate their organization and shoot straight to the top to take their most coveted spot, the nomination for president. can't imagine why they'd not want him there since he's been railing against them for decades. can't they see it'd be good to go against what most of their voters want? DNC is so crazy!!

:cat:

why are you such a status quo bootlicker?

• Facepalm 3

4 hours ago, Nebraska said:

young people don't vote.

This is at least accurate. 

3 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

why are you such a status quo bootlicker?

You really need to tone down the personal attacks. 

• Thanks 1