IGNORED

Tool - Fear Inoculum (August 30th, 2019)

2 hours ago, colunga said:

lol first interview with maynard someone needs to ask him when the next one's comin

Danny said something to the effect of ‘we’re getting older and won’t be able to physically play this kind of intense music much longer, if there’s a next one it has better happen pretty quickly’

2 hours ago, azatoth said:

like 10k days it's clipped...shame they fuck up the mastering...bring back bottril...barresi sucks

seriously? sad

2 hours ago, colunga said:

lol first interview with maynard someone needs to ask him when the next one's comin

Yeah was gonna make that joke myself the day it came out but... maybe it's a lil too on the nose.

Well I think this is bloody brilliant personally. I was a little reluctant as I thought Fear Inoc was great as a single but I didn't know how far down the rabbit hole they'd go. They definitely went down there.

The vocals are really beautiful. I'm getting very strong Pink Floyd vibes from this personally. Wonder if that resonantes with others?

Even if the new record disappoints this thread more than delivered. Look forward to revisiting it every now and then, 10/10.

1 hour ago, user said:

Even if the new record disappoints this thread more than delivered. Look forward to revisiting it every now and then, 10/10.

What about the Watmm is dying thread? That should be printed and bound. lol

Really glad I didn't pay for this. Completely dwarfed by the shadow of their first 4. Tool really trying to be Tool, but failing. Most will see it as mediocre, but some will dish out some well-earned pans.

Edited by Roo

I'm tempted to revisit 10,000 Days before tomorrow. I haven't even listened to the classics in a while. Actually I did spin my Lateralus vinyl in the past year. But I haven't listened to Undertow and Aenema, my two favorites, in ages. So if I'm gonna revisit one, why not one of those? Well I guess I wanna hear the progression (if any) from 10,000 Days when I listen to Fear Inoculum.

I don't know. I can relate to manmower's comment above. I was a huge Tool fan from 93 to whatever, even when the last one came out I was super excited and mostly liked it, even though it was a clear step down and felt like Tool by the numbers. That's what I'm expecting here. But I really just don't listen to that much metal or alternative metal anymore so am I really gonna care about this beyond one or two listens?

Random question but where the fuck do you buy decent quality none electronic digital downloads!?

Is mad seems like this is only available as stupid overpriced physical or shitty itunes/amazon. Oh well guess I will end up just listening on spotify or stealing off the internet!  Has full digital version with all the tracks leaked yet? 

(Although fuck knows why I'm bothered about the interludes as normaly theirs are dog shit! So cd version may be way forward! )  

Edited by kirm

2 hours ago, manmower said:

Still haven't heard this because a) it's not even out yet

The full digital came out here in the antipodes 5-7 hours ago. I've listened to it 2.5 times and, other than 7empest, little desire to ever listen to it again. It was my 3rd release of the day as well, had some more eagerly awaited stuff to check out first.

Edited by Roo

I listened last night, though was nodding off during the last track so didn't fully digest it.  Invincible is a really interesting track.  Jones is branching out a bit more melodically in his playing on that one.  Definitely the standout for me.  Overall, I thought there were a lot of missed opportunities vocally.  So many heavy instrumental sections where he could have let loose, but instead decided to fuck off back to the vineyard.  Most of the vocals sounded like an afterthought to me - not much emotion, and way too much autotune, blech.  Why?  Anyway...  Jones relies way to much on just vamping on the low D string, which just makes everything sound generic where it could be exciting.  Those parts all sound like self-parody to me.  But that aside, there are definitely some really cool moments on there... I wonder what it is that they spend so much time on composition-wise?  They must just have a really hard time agreeing on which parts should go where.  Hopefully they'll be reinvigorated by this whole thing and keep the momentum alive for another album in the near future.

Also yeah, shame about the clipping.  I really like how the album sounds overall, but the crackles are completely unnecessary and so easy to avoid.  That must have been in the engineering stage.   I can't imagine someone with as much experience as Bob Ludwig would let that fly on his end.  At least it's not an issue throughout every song... I think there was only one song near the beginning where it happened several times.

Have to agree with the comments about the £80 only special CD release. Surely they'll put this out as a standard release?! I'll be buying it either way, I hear some really special moments on this personally. :)

I'm revisiting 10,000 Days. I'm enjoying it but it's so. damn. long. I've heard the new album seems to go by faster than its length would suggest. So that's good, because this does drag a bit and even though all of their albums are long, this one feels the longest. Worst pacing of their first 4 LPs.

just listened this morning. it’s...okay. the first track got better after a few listens so maybe that’ll be the case for the whole album? idk. every song needs a few minutes trimmed off, too wanky and also too formulaic. thought Culling Voices was gonna be interesting until they decided they just had to sound like T O O L for the last few minutes. meh

some really nice parts and moments tho I’ll give them that

Edited by auxien