IGNORED

Tool - Fear Inoculum (August 30th, 2019)

For me personally, whatever they were trying to concoct in their studio cauldron? Well they came up with the perfect formula.

The album gets better every time I hear it, and the first time I heard it I would of put it at 8/10, so you could say it's sitting pretty sky high after a dozen listens. 

1 hour ago, azatoth said:

what's a couple of more weeks/months after 13 years?

this album is growing more solid after every listen...it's weird...

Oh, I don't mind. I think the complete lack of communication or even website update is a little annoying but par for the course with them.

And totally agree with you guys – just keeps getting better. Looking forward to the tour in November for sure.

Ehh my opinion has pretty much solidified after... 50 listens? Sometimes I really like it, but then if I put it on after listening to something a bit more energetic (like Black Midi for a recent rock album) it can be sluggish and slightly dull. I think I've digested all the album has to offer, and it's not going to offer up any real revelations. 

Looking forward to hearing it live though for sure. It's good, but I'm not gushing. 

11 hours ago, Poimandres said:

Ehh my opinion has pretty much solidified after... 50 listens? Sometimes I really like it, but then if I put it on after listening to something a bit more energetic (like Black Midi for a recent rock album) it can be sluggish and slightly dull. I think I've digested all the album has to offer, and it's not going to offer up any real revelations. 

Looking forward to hearing it live though for sure. It's good, but I'm not gushing. 

Feeling this way too... Although I'm sure there will be some minor details I'll pick up on subsequent listens (still haven't worked out the time signature for Pneuma) . I was addicted to it for a few days now I haven't listened to it in about a week. 

But also looking forward to hearing it live (I'm sure they'll come back to New Zealand eventually). Tool we're the first band I ever saw play live. 

Some random stranger on the internet recommended this, so I felt obliged to check it out. Tried to listen to the song "Fear Inoculum", but quickly stopped because to my surprise, I had suddenly grown a mullet. Made me think of a girl I used to know in high school who was a massive Tool fan. She was called Christiane, but everyone just called her Chris; until, that is, she decided that from this day forth her name was to be Tiane. That must have been around the time Lateralus came out. A bit after that, she had the word MEDEA tattooed in massive letters right across her belly. I wonder what happened to her. I bet she's somewhere out there listening to that new album by her favorite band, Tool.

• Like 1

listened to this like at least 5 times now. it's just so fucking full of shit that sounds EXACTLY like other Tool songs, i just can't get over that at all. every damned track except maybe Mockingbeat ffs, even fucking Chocolate Chip Trip sounds like Merkaba.... there's some interesting bits and lovely lines here and there, but it just sounds like a compilation album or some shit. they've done this sorta callback thing here and there on Lateralus/10KD, but here it's like they couldn't finish a song without falling back hard on their crutches. a shame really. they should be ashamed imo. would've rathered an album that didn't sound anything like them and sucked than this mediocre, bloated wankfest that is just constantly thiefing from themselves. 

sorry i'll (probably) shut up about it. not saying anyone shouldn't enjoy it, a lot of you are feeling it so cool, good for you. but just....not for me. doubt i'll give it many more listens.

• Like 4

On 9/25/2019 at 12:28 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Yeah, that's the meaner version of how I feel about this one.

So you hate it because it sounds to much like Tool, But also cause Maynard doesn't sound enough like Tool!? ?

To me this is very much tool but mature and different enough from earlier stuff to be interesting. I mean they were never going to break the mould and do something revolutionary at this point but its just a solidly amazing album!

I think its up there with their best, but each to their own and all that..

Edited by kirm
  • Burger 1

17 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Out of interest, does anyone actually like 10,000 Days? 

Not really. I do like Jambi and Right In Two. Keep meaning to revisit 10,000 Days tbh, since my cock has got hard as steel since Fear Inoculum.

27 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Out of interest, does anyone actually like 10,000 Days? 

Yup. Not every song is 100% killer, but I listen to it the last few years more than Lateralus. Rosetta Stoned is great weirdo jamming fun, Right In Two is damned nice, etc. it’s no Aenima, of course....