thawkins

4 hours ago, bupkis said:

thanks for your reply. The weekly beats thing sounds cool and I definitely want to try it. All of the things you say you learned are things I want to work on and that bit about posting 52 1 minute sketches sounds motivating. Listening to your last track of the year now, sounds good!

Thanks.

One thing to note is that Weeklybeats only takes place once every two years, so the next year will be kind of a gap year. I and some other crazies ignore that though. Myself, I am just afraid that if I stop, I won't start again.

Here are some other folks' reflections on the weekly beats https://weeklybeats.com/forums/topic/6107/2020-reflections/

On 12/13/2020 at 1:58 PM, thawkins said:

Tried to apply the pomodoro method of working 25 minutes, then taking a break, in order to finish this one quickly. I guess it sort of worked even though I forgot to start the timer a couple of times.

Heavily based off the outro part of our jam session with Tubular Corporation last Tuesday (see links in my sig to find the full version).

This is really nice.
I haven't gone through the entire thread so I don't know how "produced" this is, but the rhodes or whatever it is seems to resonate quite a lot. There's also a really nice sub bass hiding under all of it. You should bring that out ?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Squee said:

This is really nice.
I haven't gone through the entire thread so I don't know how "produced" this is, but the rhodes or whatever it is seems to resonate quite a lot. There's also a really nice sub bass hiding under all of it. You should bring that out ?

Thanks, really glad you like it. I liked it way better when I was playing it than when I was "finishing" it up for posting. The level of production is basically "all done in a rush Sunday evening" and of that I spent the most time messing up the arrangement.

I am working on the sub bass thing actually - this is from the 8th so by now I have separated the sub bass and higher bass sounds in my template project, I hope it brings out the sub a bit more. Should be more audible in the more recent tracks but not as good as the tracks in your signature of course!

This is the reworked intro part from our last week's jam session with Tubular Corporation. I was in a rush arranging, mixing and finishing this so I am not super happy with some elements in it.

This basically wraps it up for "tracks from 2020". Since Weeklybeats is taking the year off, I think I will be posting things on here, still continuing my weekly routine https://streak.club/s/1444/weekly-music-2021

Tried to finish this one a little more than usual. Really getting into this smooth dreamy krautrock sound but it keeps hypnotizing me badly so I forget to actually make the composition more interesting as well.

i switched over from múm to listen to 21.01.21, 21.02.22, and 21.01.14 while having a morning cigarette on my balcony and watching snow fall. they carried the vibe nicely, enjoyed them a lot.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, QQQ said:

i switched over from múm to listen to 21.01.21, 21.02.22, and 21.01.14 while having a morning cigarette on my balcony and watching snow fall. they carried the vibe nicely, enjoyed them a lot.

Thanks, really happy to hear you enjoyed it. Probably some of those tracks have been made when snow is falling outside, even though it does not stick around so much here in Paris. I have to say a lot of the tracks I make recently are a kind of tranquilizer - calm and meditative stuff to settle nerves on edge. At least it has that effect on me.

By the way, I came here to post about a new EP release featuring some tracks from a collaboration last year.

Edited by thawkins

On 2/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, sTeh B L said:

I checked out 2021.02.02 and thought it was pretty soothing. Though, I would have liked some variation on the bass/chord progression.

Thanks. Yeah, working on that variation part. I get stuck in my loops hard and then I don't ever want anything to change, so the end result is 20 minutes of the same riff and I am the only person in the world who likes to listen to this.

Edited the intro of last week's jam session with fellow WATMM poster Tubular Corporation.

Yeah I should edit this a bunch more, I had a moderate headache while mixing this and I just wanted to get over it really. :catcry:

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 10:30 PM, thawkins said:

Edited the intro of last week's jam session with fellow WATMM poster Tubular Corporation.

Yeah I should edit this a bunch more, I had a moderate headache while mixing this and I just wanted to get over it really. :catcry:

No idea you guys were up to this, it's great.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, chim said:

No idea you guys were up to this, it's great.

Thanks.

Honestly it's really nice to have a weekly online jam session like this and even better to get positive feedback from people.

Probably getting close to our yearly anniversary now if not already past it. At least something good achieved during this quarantine thing...

Edited by thawkins
  • Like 3

this is mixed really well! that bongo is nooooice. track has a very roomy quality to it - reminds me of when i'd go to improvisational jam sessions in my early 20s where everyone was set up in a living room playing acoustic instruments. genuinely don't know what's electronic & what's live here, real smoof

damn yeah this track is real good, don't even have much to say about it. going to be keeping an eye on this thread

On 3/8/2021 at 7:05 PM, Cryptowen said:

this is mixed really well! that bongo is nooooice. track has a very roomy quality to it - reminds me of when i'd go to improvisational jam sessions in my early 20s where everyone was set up in a living room playing acoustic instruments. genuinely don't know what's electronic & what's live here, real smoof

damn yeah this track is real good, don't even have much to say about it. going to be keeping an eye on this thread

14 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Another lovely track.   It has a pleasant hypnotic flow.

8 hours ago, QQQ said:

love the last two tracks. your music is my favourite in YLC at the moment.

Thanks all, glad to hear that this material is pleasing to listen to. And it's not only me, but @TubularCorporation who does all the visuals and contributes guitar/Kijimi to our jam sessions.

It's been one year (almost) doing weekly jam sessions and it's really paying off in terms of material and getting better with the pile of junk on my table.