thawkins

Thanks for the compliments on our jams! It has been really fun, completely different from playing with people in person and also from working solo.  I definitely recommend trying it out!

The only real downside is that most of the gear I hoarded over the last decade before it got too expensive is getting underused now since I'm down to just noodling on two instruments and looping them in the Octatrack while THawkins does the heavy lifting.

As per THawkins' signature, we're usually live on Tuesdays at 8:30 CET/2:30 EST on Twitch and Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-zzia1LKspJRLsu0wGFP6w

Because of the way Ninjam's timing offset works the live versions I stream are a lot different than THawkins' stem mixes even though it's the same performance.  Mine are what I hear and his are what he hears, but on each end the other person's audio is delayed by two bars so things lie up completely differently.  It sounds like a terrible idea on paper but it actually works really well.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

I don't really know how this "generative" thing works, but maybe you could try "generating" several different tracks in the same key and tempo, and then use each of them in one track for more variety? I honestly don't know if that's possible or not.

On 3/15/2021 at 1:58 AM, sTeh B L said:

I don't really know how this "generative" thing works, but maybe you could try "generating" several different tracks in the same key and tempo, and then use each of them in one track for more variety? I honestly don't know if that's possible or not.

Maybe "generative" is a bad word for what I am doing, but I made a thread about this in EKT general. Basically I just play a chord and I have a complex chain of MIDI effects in Live that does the rest. Choice of sounds is definitely important here, but I have gotten a lot of mileage out of this during the last couple of months.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another week, another livestream, another Ableton Live crash at the most crucial moment I swear it was autoupdating itself in the middle of me doing the jam. Accidentally deleting a MIDI track should not crash the whole computer.

Also earlier I uploaded an edit of last week's jam:

2 hours ago, Claudius t Ansuulim said:

Very pleasant!  Like staying up all night and walking out in the morning fog as it’s lifting

Thanks, I get what you mean by that comparison. This reminds me that I should get out more. Glad you like the track! ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Really tried to achieve something like real krautrock with this one. I mean it came out organically in the jam session, and then I tried to arrange and mix it nicely. Honestly I have not had the guts to listen to it after uploading. :catcry:

35 minutes ago, thawkins said:

Reverb! OrilRiver!

Just gave it a listen in the GAS thread and it's a lovely, lovely track !!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A short krautrock track I did using only a vanilla Reaper install because I was away during the weekend:

And here is last week's online streaming experimental jam session with fellow WATMM user Tubular Corporation: