IGNORED

Record Outer Sleeves

YEK

Record Outer Sleeves  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put record outer sleeves over your record covers?

• Yes
    • No

You mean the polybag type ones or the more plastic ridged envelope style ones?

I don’t like either. The polybag ones get annoying and look shit, and the plastic envelope ones I find to be a pain and look a mess on the shelves as well. They can end up squeezing the corners of sleeves/covers and damage them and don’t sit on the shelves well. 

Depends how ocd you are I guess. You thinking about doing this to all your records? How many? 

16 hours ago, yekker said:

I've been using those cloudy loose generic ones and they look like shit

:shrug:

Batch, thanks for that link.

Edit: 70 dollars shipping to canada no thanks 

Check Amazon (link to search results) , I usually get mine from the US side but they had a lot of results for amazon.ca and free shipping. 

There are sleeve city sleeves in the results.  From when I was looking around a few years ago, I'm pretty sure a lot of the various sleeves available (even from big places like sleeve city) are just bulk purchases from just a few different manufacturers that are packaged in smaller quantities and rebranded.  The non-sleeve city ones usually list the mil thickness, which can help for comparison. 

2 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I've been thinking of getting those 12" frames made specifically for displaying vinyls as artwork (since I don't really play mine)

Put that analord 10 picture disc in there:ok:

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 10:29 AM, Lada Laika said:

Generally no, but if it comes with one I'll leave it on instead of throwing it out. Having an extra thing to take off to play a record when I already have to strip naked is a pain.

but, you don't need to take them off... i can take my records out with them on... what u on about?

my father's records all have them, i guess they were pretty common in the past seeing that nowadays most new records come without them... i like them ones, they're not completely transparent but they're pretty resistant and have a gummy feeling to them, it's the kind of material that doesn't do a crackling sound when you embroil them, anyone knows what material is this so that i can make a right search on amazon?

i bought these to start using on all my records but got pretty disappointed, they're shit... they split easily at the seams when putting records in and have a cheap, plastic feel to them... gonna check out the recommendations on this thread...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GD1H5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01

I went with the plain janes and I'm happy with them. Only problem is they don't fit all of my gatefolds and 3 record albums so I'll be buying the oversized sleeves from the same company as well.

ugh the plastic.... can't be bothered really although I do certainly have some valuable records... I'm sure I'll regret it but christ when im in the mood and need to listen to step in the name of love (remix) i'm not going to mess about with some annoying plastic. 

7 hours ago, Tim_J said:

but, you don't need to take them off... i can take my records out with them on... what u on about?

my father's records all have them, i guess they were pretty common in the past seeing that nowadays most new records come without them... i like them ones, they're not completely transparent but they're pretty resistant and have a gummy feeling to them, it's the kind of material that doesn't do a crackling sound when you embroil them, anyone knows what material is this so that i can make a right search on amazon?

i bought these to start using on all my records but got pretty disappointed, they're shit... they split easily at the seams when putting records in and have a cheap, plastic feel to them... gonna check out the recommendations on this thread...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GD1H5B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01

If I have them on I’ll keep the actual record sleeved so that the opening to the plastic is the top of the record sleeve so as to reduce dust accumulating on the record itself.

2 hours ago, Lada Laika said:

If I have them on I’ll keep the actual record sleeved so that the opening to the plastic is the top of the record sleeve so as to reduce dust accumulating on the record itself.

oh, i see, hermetically sealled :^) 

i keep each record in its original paper sleeve then in the cardboard record sleeve then in the protective outer clear plastic sleeve then in the original carefully cut plastic merchandise wrapping and then in a outer protective plastic (clear) sleeve i purchase from reputable archival quality storage companies and then stored perfectly in a custom designed 'shelf' that's under lock and key and hermetically vacuum sealed in a secret location.

Spoiler

Archived