IGNORED

Deconstruct this kick

ceiling

Looking for some help as to how to construct a kick like this?

I know the kick sounds kinda standard but it has a weight and fullness that I've been trying to perfect but not really quite got there. Any tips would be welcome : )

Audio Quality of the track isn't great but you get the idea

Freaky track. Nice. Bit Paula Temple-ish.

The kick: there’s a whole bunch of different ones but I think they’re all combinations of, like Madellis says, layers. One of these layers is a deep low sub. The other is a variant of a fairly high pitched base sound with a medium (?) pitch drop. Not super slow that you can hear it sliding down but longer than a mere snap. Go for a quick sci-fi-ish laser type effect. This sound is then distorted.

Thanks for the help! 

I have u-tonic and have managed to get kind of close but always still feels like it's missing the depth and power. 

What do you mean by offsetting the transients? 

When you say it's missing depth and power is that within the context of something you're working on or just the kick by itself?

I've really gone down the rabbit hole with kicks a couple of times trying to get the perfect sound and spend hours and hours tweaking. Later I realized that all these hours of listening to kicks seriously distorted my perception and that often the subtleties in perceived weight and power etc come from the rest as the track as much as just the kick.

In addition to rhmilo's advice, when you're working on a layered kick don't forget that you can process the layers individually, of course you'll want to compress and eq them all together but you could distort the hell out of the middle layer while putting a different more subtle distortion on top and a bit crusher on the bottom for example. Mess around with the order of your effects chains, try using several (different) distortions in the same chain, don't be afraid to use some additive eq after compressing to regain some lower frequencies.

it just sounds like some random sample that's been distorted/processed a little. i doubt they really intended for every detail to be there, it just is what it is.

most musicians aren't working in the realm of mise en scene...

21 hours ago, ceiling said:

Looking for some help as to how to construct a kick like this?

I know the kick sounds kinda standard but it has a weight and fullness that I've been trying to perfect but not really quite got there. Any tips would be welcome : )

Audio Quality of the track isn't great but you get the idea

honestly sounds like a sample with some simple effects. that feedback is terrible btw

• 1 month later...

Is this a live recording, sounds muffled to me, the kick is nothing too spetial here, has a delay effect with the feedback set to .2ms or less so it amplifies the imput signal, and another delay for the long feedback at times, all automated, that gives it the fullness you are talking about. Proper audio quality will tell you more, but for this one thats all I can say. Not a bad track, He should play it, considering the weird new artists He choose for the recent events. Then everyone will call the artist of this track a genious or whatever : ) 

16 hours ago, Andon Hristov Seldt said:

Is this a live recording, sounds muffled to me, the kick is nothing too spetial here, has a delay effect with the feedback set to .2ms or less so it amplifies the imput signal, and another delay for the long feedback at times, all automated, that gives it the fullness you are talking about. Proper audio quality will tell you more, but for this one thats all I can say. Not a bad track, He should play it, considering the weird new artists He choose for the recent events. Then everyone will call the artist of this track a genious or whatever : ) 

Wait why the fuck is feedback measured in ms

I always thought it was a volumey thing

It's how many ms it takes for the sound to delay back to you, and there is also a volume setting too, but I am not refering to it here. The ms is more about timing of the effect, when it starts to kick in and for how long in ms, as far as the plug ins I use work. Hope this is clear?

More on making kick drums sound full than on reconstructing this particular kick:

- add harmonic distortion (this tool for example does this in a really clean way https://www.fieldingdsp.com/reviver, but there are many others)

- add a bit of frequency modulation

- add a layer of (white) noise

- don't make the initial click too bright, add a low pass filter

- make it have an impact on other instruments, e.g. thru sidechain compression

Those are some very basic tips that you probably already know. I think harmonic distortion is most important for a full sound

On 9/19/2019 at 12:48 PM, Andon Hristov Seldt said:

Yeah it's a rip off a radio show i think. I found another track by the same artist that has a slightly similar kick, better audio quality too.

The kick starts at around 1.20 

Thankyou all for the advice, need to give the delay feedback thing a go, i got kind of close to a real thumping sound by using platinum verb in logic turning all the way to wet and just lowering the room size (lost a lot of high end though) Don't know if that has a similar effect to what ur describing. Do you think she just used a sample pack for this kick or synthesised herself? The kick has an earthy yet industrial vibe to it which made it quite interesting to me. 

Archived