IGNORED

Tomi Kokki - Raspberry Kombucha [IDM, Slowtempo, Lo-Fi]

tomikoo

Been super inspired by my latest gear acquisation, Empress Effects ZOIA, and happened to make an IDM/LoFi vibed track. This is exactly what I always hope, when I buy anything new, that it would inspire me to also create something new (from my perspective). Main melodies using synths made in ZOIA, also some effects by ZOIA. Inspiring little device. ?

Really enjoyed this.  It feels like Amber-era AE mixed with Tycho pads.  The bass doesn't seem to go all that low, aside from the kick.  Not looking for booty bass or anything, but it seemed a little light to my ears.  

1 hour ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Really enjoyed this.  It feels like Amber-era AE mixed with Tycho pads.  The bass doesn't seem to go all that low, aside from the kick.  Not looking for booty bass or anything, but it seemed a little light to my ears.  

Yeah, man, I had huge trouble mixing a lower bass with that deep kick (and the pad), so I eventually made the bassline a bit lighter (as I just wanted to have the deeper kick for this track). But that was one of those "should I have this, or that?" moments, where I listened the track a lot with all the different speakers and headphones I have and tried to make the decision. Kind of a brain twister. ? Thanks for the feedback. ?

On 8/20/2019 at 1:03 AM, qualitycontrol said:

I like the vibe of this track, a good late-summer track. Good melodies.

I had to look up what a ZOIA was... what an interesting idea-  at first glance seems like Jeskola Buzz in hardware form.

Buzz certainly had the same kind of mindset. From software side nowadays probably Reaktor Blocks and VCV Rack are probably the closest of what ZOIA is conceptually. And of course from hardware side it would be having bunch of different modular units and patching them. But yeah, awesome device. Have to just arrange some time to really dive in deeper into it. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, s1L3Nu5 said:

That was really good! Nice melody & tone & didn't stray into BoC levels of RETRO (which can be good sometimes too of course). More please!

Thanks! It is indeed in my plans to try to make more maetrial along these lines. I really like to bounce around genres, so I never know what will happen and when. ?

Archived