IGNORED

Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music Has Been Updated

Joyrex

• Joyrex changed the title to Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music Has Been Updated

Dope. I used to browse this site religiously when I was about 16 or so. It was honestly very educational for me and I discovered a lot of great music from it. Feels quite weird to fast-forward 20 years and see my own music included as an example of an entire genre. Young me would be really proud of myself right about now ☺️

5 hours ago, brisk said:

Dope. I used to browse this site religiously when I was about 16 or so. It was honestly very educational for me and I discovered a lot of great music from it. Feels quite weird to fast-forward 20 years and see my own music included as an example of an entire genre. Young me would be really proud of myself right about now ☺️

You should be! 

4 hours ago, KovalainenFanBoy said:

this site is slow as shit. A full minute between clicking on a track and having it play. Not to mention the layout being unasable both zoomed out and zoomed in. Its somehow worse than the old site

i think it's just getting slammed, it was reasonably snappy yesterday morning. but yeah not a huge fan of the zoomy interface

5 minutes ago, Freak of the week said:

lol @ musique concrete section - "Because let's be fair: This stuff is just plain awful." what a pleb

Yeah, the idea of a music guide always been great, but this douche commentary here and there is off-putting...

On 8/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, mushroom said:

oh sweet he updated it. I remember the really old version in flash from way back

Here's the old one. Good times, spent many hours on there exploring stuff that was new to me back in the day. I had used allmusic.com before that to explore genres but that was on shitty DSL in high school, when I came across this it was nice to hear sound clips so readily.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

On 8/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, brisk said:

That is fucking amazing! 

2 hours ago, Freak of the week said:

lol @ musique concrete section - "Because let's be fair: This stuff is just plain awful." what a pleb

Yeah he was upfront on his subjective opinions and knowledge in the past, one of the first glaringly obviously outdated aspects of his past site was his dismissive entry of uk 2-step / garage which ironically spurred on so much music of the mid-00s onward. He also had a lot of seemingly redundant entries for arbitrary breaks and techno sub-genres. It was still a great overview, especially for when it first came out.

48 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

Yeah he was upfront on his subjective opinions and knowledge in the pas

I quite like that aspect about it (and the previous version) - reminds me of the personal homepages/guides that people put out in the Web1.0 days where you knew it was pretty much all  opinions rather than some neutral corporate piece

4 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

I quite like that aspect about it (and the previous version) - reminds me of the personal homepages/guides that people put out in the Web1.0 days where you knew it was pretty much all  opinions rather than some neutral corporate piece

totally, there's so much self-awareness and caution taken by amateur music reviewers and writers these days - good, bad or ugly stuff like his original guide were unique and endearing efforts

This guide has always been one of those classic internet monuments right up there with Kompressor Does not Dance and 'Gonads and Strife'

It's interesting what he's trying to do but I really don't like the new way this is formatted so horizontally. The previous version was a lot easier to browse through different genres and sound samples quickly.

I was super enthusiastic when I heard that this was updated but then I decided it's maybe better to just keep the memory. Did visit the old site for a quickie though. Reminded me of the Michael Mayer Pensum ep in the minimal section, good stuff. 

Archived