IGNORED

Watmm's favorite artists

thumbass

23 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I love everything from the beginning through Last Rights. The Process was very inconsistent and felt like a totally different band, but has a few decent tracks. I only really respect it because it's the first "new Skinny Puppy" album that came out after I was introduced to them in 92. The reunion albums are not great, I only enjoy the material in a live setting as they manage it blend it in nicely with older material. So yeah, everything from The Process forward is very inconsistent. 

I find myself listening back to Skinny Puppy more than most artists.  There's no album of theirs that I really think of as a great album, but I'm always compelled to go back and relisten.  I like how their material after the initial breakup is like a whole other artist.  Greater Wrong of the Right might actually be my favourite thing they've done.  Each song on that has something different to offer.  Plus it was just such a 180 in direction, which I really respect.  Had they come back to just do more of the same I would have probably lost interest by now.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I love everything from the beginning through Last Rights. The Process was very inconsistent and felt like a totally different band, but has a few decent tracks. I only really respect it because it's the first "new Skinny Puppy" album that came out after I was introduced to them in 92. The reunion albums are not great, I only enjoy the material in a live setting as they manage it blend it in nicely with older material. So yeah, everything from The Process forward is very inconsistent. 

^ this.

Though I was surprised at how fist-pumping Assimilate turned out to be live. Took a year before I could listen to Skinny Puppy again.

In general, I love them, esp. Last Rights and ViviSectVI, but I find it rather sad how quickly music history raced pass them once the electronic dance music revolution raced passed them in the 1990s. Pre Aphex Twin, they were revolutionary and avant garde (for pop, anyway). Post, not so much. Sad.

The Orb

RDJ

Autechre

Squarepusher

Mike Paradinas

John Coltrane

Thelonious Monk

Miles Davis

Sun Ra

Oscar Peterson

Sonic Youth

Dead Kennedys

Beastie Boys

Beck

Joy Division

Wu-Tang Clan

De La Soul

Nas (yes mostly for Illmatic, but that album is close to GOAT)

MF Doom

Kendrick

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Neil Young

Jimi Hendrix

Bob Dylan

A neat exercise in really thinking about the music that has featured heavily in the soundtrack of life. Of course hundreds of other artists along the way, but these are the ones that I find myself revisiting most often.

22 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

^ this.

Though I was surprised at how fist-pumping Assimilate turned out to be live. Took a year before I could listen to Skinny Puppy again.

In general, I love them, esp. Last Rights and ViviSectVI, but I find it rather sad how quickly music history raced pass them once the electronic dance music revolution raced passed them in the 1990s. Pre Aphex Twin, they were revolutionary and avant garde (for pop, anyway). Post, not so much. Sad.

Personally SP was a huge thing back in the day. Liked also GWOTR when it came out. Haven't really listened to them in ages. I somehow completely got fed up with Ogre's singing. Only release that sees some more or less regular play is B&F 3&4. Was my first introduction to SP. Great release. Also love McKean's artwork

R-87856-1398960886-6887.jpeg.jpg

Another band that I have a shit load of albums by and always playing, would be R.E.M, mighty fine GOAT band there

Another band that I don't really like all their albums but have made a few GOAT mind-blowing tracks on a few albums, would be Sonic Youth

Another band who made one of my GOAT albums would be Soundgarden. Badmotorfinger would be a desert island disc, but not keen on their other albums as a whole (a handful of tracks on each)

Boards of Canada could turn into a GOAT, but they too lazy

Led Zeppelin was a GOAT once upon a time but nowadays I'm not so interested, so that GOAT is dead

Maa Maa

Beyond the featured artists, BoC and RDJ in particular...

R.E.M.

Memory Tapes

John Williams

James Horner

Brian Eno

Jefre-Cantu Ledesma

Townes Van Zandt

Angel Olsen

0PN

Matthewdavid

Washed Out

NMESH

B-52s

Slowdive

Grouper

Elizabeth Fraser

Vektroid

George Harrison

These artists I like just as much for their interviews and personalities:

Johnny Cash

Weyes Blood

Neil Young

Fenriz

Zappa

Tom Petty

Kode9

Jello Biafra

Few I loved but kind of got over (still like a lot but their newer stuff doesn't do it for me):

Grimes

Flying Lotus

U2

Weezer

Interpol

1 hour ago, Uros said:

Personally SP was a huge thing back in the day. Liked also GWOTR when it came out. Haven't really listened to them in ages. I somehow completely got fed up with Ogre's singing. Only release that sees some more or less regular play is B&F 3&4. Was my first introduction to SP. Great release. Also love McKean's artwork

R-87856-1398960886-6887.jpeg.jpg

B&F 3&4 are ace listening material. Not as immediately attention grabbing as the main albums and surprisingly interesting.

51 minutes ago, beer badger said:

Another band that I have a shit load of albums by and always playing, would be R.E.M, mighty fine GOAT band there

1980s REM has aged surprisingly well. 

Never really bothered with the stuff after Automatic for the People. Laziness, probably. And elitism, of course.

But 1980s REM? Prime jangly guitar pop.

2 hours ago, rhmilo said:

1980s REM has aged surprisingly well. 

Never really bothered with the stuff after Automatic for the People. Laziness, probably. And elitism, of course.

But 1980s REM? Prime jangly guitar pop.

You sir are correct, couple of deece tracks on each album

Crush with eyeliner, Bang and Blame,  E-bow the letter, Electrolite, Sad professor, Why not smile, Immitation of life, The great beyond

Archived