IGNORED

Gear buying advice - tape-deck and condenser mic

Polytrix

Hi!

So I'm after a new tape casette deck (preferably space for two tapes). I think mine is soon to die.  I'm assuming I need to go Ebay for this?

I'm just looking for three head with record in and two casette capacity and serviced so it won't fuck up on me - I think the Technics ones are good?  How much £ are we talking? Any advice? 

Also looking for a cheap but decent condenser mic to go direct in to my focusrite interface. I have the Zoom H4N but I can't really live monitor with it going into my DAW.  I do a lot of acuostic guitar recording and perc recording so just want a good all rounder condenser mic. Oh and some kind of stand too! Any good experiences? 

I can't recommend any condenser mics but personally I'd just go on thomann and maybe some other sites, make a shortlist depending on my budget and then research those a bit and try to make a choice based on that.

Tapedeck, yeah you're not gonna find any new ones if that's what you mean. Unless you can find some hifi shop with old stock? I've been picking up whatever comes my way, tascam if good, technics is good too I think. Serviced will probably set you back a couple 100 monetary units I'd think. Kinda depending on what's been serviced though, if it's a new belt and heads cleaned it can't be too much, if it's also been recapped however...

Why do you need a double deck? Need to make copies? 

I'd just scour 2nd hand shops or maybe the local ads or something for a working tapedeck, and then every time you happen onto a good deal/something reasonably priced pick that up as well. Clean the heads yourself (it's not hard to do) and see if you can order a replacement belt for it (never replaced a belt myself but can't be too hard). That's about all you can do unless you want to dive into electronics repair or have the cash to spend on buying serviced items. Maybe someone with a bit more tapedeck knowledge can chime in here?        

Archived