Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Listen all u freaks 5.1 party at lopez's place this friday. I'll bring the bud light lime.

In my ongoing mbm sample discovery journey I learned this morning that “alright no fooling around, this is for real....dig the music kids” is from Dracula AD 1972. 🤓

Confession time: I have never given RUOK a proper spin. Time to rectify that.

Posted Images

RUOK is my second fav MBM album. it's incredible. I used to think the second half was poor but i've changed somewhat. It's still a bit repetitive, especially in comparison to the developed compositions of the first half. RETROGRAD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m ready to get raked over the coals lol.

 

I must confess - I haven’t listened to any of the older albums I don’t think. I’ve got the 2 newest ones and Test EP.

iirc subliminal sammich and ruok are the mecca. Is that right? 

I’ll hand in my watmm badge 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’m ready to get raked over the coals lol.

 

I must confess - I haven’t listened to any of the older albums I don’t think. I’ve got the 2 newest ones and Test EP.

iirc subliminal sammich and ruok are the mecca. Is that right? 

Yes. That’s right.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Extralife said:

Honestly though - Satyricon and Actual Sounds are also near perfect albums.

😂 MbM is one of those artists I know there’s so much in the back discog that’s going to blow my mind I just haven’t gotten to it yet. Same with The Black Dog and many others. 
 

Looking forward to starting with sublim and ruok and then I’ll hit up the other ones. 
 

My first exposure to MbM was as a kiddo buying the matrix soundtrack, same with the prodigy iirc. 😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hugh Mughnus said:

😂 MbM is one of those artists I know there’s so much in the back discog that’s going to blow my mind I just haven’t gotten to it yet. Same with The Black Dog and many others. 
 

Looking forward to starting with sublim and ruok and then I’ll hit up the other ones. 
 

My first exposure to MbM was as a kiddo buying the matrix soundtrack, same with the prodigy iirc. 😂

Me too. Found a lot of great shit from that soundtrack.

Also first vol of MTV AMP btw.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Extralife said:

Just popped in to say this is one of Jack's best.

RUOK in general is hugely underrated. 

RUOK is incredible. i feel like jack entered New Parameters of production on this record. ofc the synthi 100 plays a big roll in the bigness of sound but the overall mix of this record is so big and dark it's like perfection. pure cum

17 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

I’m ready to get raked over the coals lol.

 

I must confess - I haven’t listened to any of the older albums I don’t think. I’ve got the 2 newest ones and Test EP.

iirc subliminal sammich and ruok are the mecca. Is that right? 

I’ll hand in my watmm badge 

no one is gonna roast you dude, this is a safe space. this thread is for handkerchief heads of all sorts man

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

RUOK is incredible. i feel like jack entered New Parameters of production on this record. ofc the synthi 100 plays a big roll in the bigness of sound but the overall mix of this record is so big and dark it's like perfection. pure cum

And those scratches. He’s got one track in there with Z-Trip but several others where there are some serious cuts. Like he’s proving a point. He probably was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

lol I uh, googled handkerchief head and it wasn't what I expected. 😅

 

Looking forward to an MbM binge this weekend before I start the new job Monday. Going to be goooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddd

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

lol I uh, googled handkerchief head and it wasn't what I expected. 😅

 

Looking forward to an MbM binge this weekend before I start the new job Monday. Going to be goooooooooooooooodddddddddddddddddddd

Yes. It will.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Extralife said:

And those scratches. He’s got one track in there with Z-Trip but several others where there are some serious cuts. Like he’s proving a point. He probably was.

an under-appreciated aspect of his craft. lots of kick ass scratching on Sublminal as well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2020 at 12:08 AM, Alcofribas said:

hmm interesting. that whole stretch of post subliminal sangwhich albums was a weird journey. lots of interesting stuff but for me nothing really stood out as an immersive album from start to finish until 'impossible star.' it's such a tight collection of stuff and has a definite *vibe* that i've missed for so many years. 'opaque couche' was extremely good as well imo. my whole relationship to mbm is tough to express bc subliminal is not only my fave mbm but also probably my fave album of all time so every album after that one and its accompanying singles has been...idk, just weird for me in some way. 

he is untouchable in so many ways, an absolute king of production. even the stuff i don't really vibe with just sounds insanely good. 

been thinking about this. I've listened to impo-star and ope-cooch recently and they're good. not my favs but some great moments. i was initially greedy and wanted them all to be like the last 30 seconds of critical soul vibrations. that perfect combination of late 90s breaks with those mid-century samples and horn hits. Jack's ability to "age" a track with a sample or some technique is second to none. I don't know if I'm making any sense, will think on this effect and explain later

but seriously how can anyone be an IDM fan and not think that MBM are "up there" with the best. it's stupid. there is no counter argument. ur just dumb

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

Confession time: I have never given RUOK a proper spin. Time to rectify that.

Ok whew I’m not the only one 😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

Jack's ability to "age" a track with a sample or some technique is second to none. I don't know if I'm making any sense, will think on this effect and explain later

Perfect sense, although I do have to say I finally listened to King Tubby years after getting into MBM and I was like... OH. But yeah Jack is still the boss because he can make anything sound like it's coming from a giant sound system in the 1970s, even, like, the Mac "say" app and Elektrons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

after that dwell article on jack's home i got so happy. he's living the dream in norcal, amazing house, still has his synths, lots of custom hardwood shelves for his records, happily married. good on you jack. seems like his wife is very successful too which made sense because being a relatively obscure IDM artist's IDM artist doesn't really buy you a gorgeous villa in marin county now does it. maybe all those radio babylon 12"s really added up or someting

Edited by dr lopez
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

after that dwell article on jack's home i got so happy. he's living the dream in norcal, amazing house, still has his synths, lots of custom hardwood shelves for his records, happily married. good on you jack. seems like his wife is very successful too which made sense because being a relatively obscure IDM artist's IDM artist doesn't really buy you a gorgeous villa in marin county now does it. maybe all those radio babylon 12"s really added up or someting

The man is a role model for sure. I basically see him the way most peeps here view Boards of Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Extralife said:

Honestly though - Satyricon and Actual Sounds are also near perfect albums.

NONE of these albums appear to be available on bandcamp. 😭 

I’ll have to wait for cds to come in, guess this weekend won’t be a good un’

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sweepstakes said:

Confession time: I have never given RUOK a proper spin. Time to rectify that.

Yes yes, but have you heard RUOK..... in Dub?!?

 

Edited by BobDobalina
fuc youtube is what, <3 U Jack
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Rubin Farr
      Mark Pistel has reformed Consolidated, and a new album is scheduled for release in 2020, here is the single:
      https://consolidated.bandcamp.com/track/music-is-the-sound-of-life

    • By Rubin Farr
      New DHS album from Ben Stokes:
      https://dimensionalholofonicsound.bandcamp.com/album/seeing-is-believing

    • By Rubin Farr
      Another digital album from Jack Dangers + Bass Kittens:
      https://igloomag.com/newswire/the-jds-store-detective-video?fbclid=IwAR0y4w9TAGAx8g2ipesDmfmwMmIZQlIZZTdE2qfXCFkTlbmXNR3lZAacB70
       
    • By Rubin Farr
      7" vinyl available to order separately for subscribers, or bundled with Issue #33 for everyone. The Alt. mix is pretty tight.


      https://electronicsound.co.uk/product/subscriber-only-gary-numan/

      https://electronicsound.co.uk/product/issue-33-vinyl-bundle/

      JACK DANGERS THE MEAT BEAT MANIFESTO MAN TALKS US THROUGH HIS REMIX
       
      Q: You’ve remixed the likes of David Bowie, David Byrne, Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails, where does Numan fit in?
      A: I really liked the early stuff, and I revisited it when I knew I was doing this mix, and those songs really stand the test of time. Listening back to that material, you realise how alien it all sounded first time round.
      Q: How did you go about creating this particular remix?
      A: I’ve always loved Numan’s vocals and wanted to hear them isolated. With singers liked Trent Reznor, or Bowie, it’s interesting to hear their vocals on their own. They’re always good singers, these people. If you isolated one of my vocal takes you’d hear all the drop ins and outs. But these guys sounds like they go all the way through in one decent take. Numan’s a really good singer, he doesn’t really get credit for it. He has that sneering English accent, he doesn’t do any Americanised vocals, does he? Who is the female singer?
      Q: That’s Persia, his daughter. She’s 11 years old
      A: Are you serious! Fucking hell. Her vocal gives it a real world music feel. I would never have thought she was only 11! 
      Q: You’ve quite the electronic arsenal, what weaponry did you bring to the mix?
      A: I used the Buchla 200 system, an original one, to provide the synth sounds, and an EMS 3000, which I put Numan’s vocals through. I was playing chords to supplement his vocals, which was main thing that I added. I followed the beat, changed some of the drum sounds. That was for the first mix, which is available as a bonus download. On the second mix, which is on the vinyl, I stripped everything back using an Elektron Machinedrum, the Buchla and a vocoder.
      Q: You have a new album ready to go, haven’t you?
      A: Thanks for mentioning it. Yes, it’s due for release in December.
    • By Rubin Farr
      https://yellow-machines.bandcamp.com/album/ym016-one-scanone-meat-beat-manifesto?fbclid=IwAR0mWMH2MIEKGz-4DJ3VGcDmRHJXfYPgETMH8fPV84YChMoM-Yoytvy4cZA

×
×
  • Create New...