IGNORED

Has Clark left Warp?

thumbass

18 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

His material hasn't been warp quality for awhile though (even after taking into account the gradual decline in the quality of the label). Kinda went the way of prefuse73, started out strong but it got p bad quite quickly.

It would make sense IMO if they parted ways. 

Let's define "warp quality", shall we? 

As much of a warp fanboy as I might be, I feel a duty to be honest to myself and look at the majority of their output in the last 15-ish years. Certainly, they hit it out of the park more than any other label I follow loyally, but they also strike out more than they used to. I won't name names, but we can all easily remember some of their recent signings and the albums we cringed and asked "why, warp?" Clark's materials bests most of those, just my feeling on the matter. 

• Like 1

Some excellent, sublime tracks to be found on his recent releases like Last Panthers and Rellik EP

I don't envy any artist who somehow has to jostle position for attention in-between hard nosed Aphex and Autechre fans  

Edited by beer badger

I prefer prob prefer Clark over ae

4 hours ago, Brian Dance said:

He was dropped last year

I too am curious what the source behind this is

but we can all easily remember some of their recent signings and the albums we cringed and asked "why, warp?" Clark's materials bests most of those, just my feeling on the matter. 

Yes Death Peak and Clark were some of the best albums released in their respective years

Edited by thumbass

On 4/28/2020 at 7:38 PM, Brian Dance said:
  Reveal hidden contents

14077-0w470h470_The_Original_Worcestershire_Sauce.jpg.90a5eeb43a35d0a1142ed458363e22d5.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

He's good friends with a friend of mine.

Well it's a shame warp dropped him, especially comparing him to the recent Warp signings wich aren't very good.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, Brian Dance said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thanks - I wonder what the reasons were behind it? Creative differences (WARP seem pretty laid back when it comes to their artists and what they want to do, when the release it, and how)? Internal issues? Money?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, goDel said:

WARP couldn't press his compressed sounds on vinyl so they dropped him?

(Or another lame joke about compression)

LOL!!!!!!1111

(its the name for an mp3 encoder)

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Thanks - I wonder what the reasons were behind it? Creative differences (WARP seem pretty laid back when it comes to their artists and what they want to do, when the release it, and how)? Internal issues? Money?

A hunch... WARP is probably pretty forgiving for their bigger acts as they know there are enough mega-fans that will gobble up anything they put out regardless of style, but maybe Mr. Clark wasn't moving enough numbers for them to be as forgiving? (Kinda analogous to Prefuse 73s situation a few years back)… Also I don't think Clark pulls in the kind of crowds (and revenue) for his live shows as some of those other acts (SP, phex', autechre and so on) so less reason for them to hold on to him.

All about the benjamins. 

Or I could be completely wrong, he left of his own volition, or maybe was difficult to work with and dropped for other reasons of course. Anything is possible.

Here's hoping Clarks next few releases are bangers on his own label, he can show WARP what they're missing out on. =P

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

A hunch... WARP is probably pretty forgiving for their bigger acts as they know there are enough mega-fans that will gobble up anything they put out regardless of style, but maybe Mr. Clark wasn't moving enough numbers for them to be as forgiving? (Kinda analogous to Prefuse 73s situation a few years back)… Also I don't think Clark pulls in the kind of crowds (and revenue) for his live shows as some of those other acts (SP, phex', autechre and so on) so less reason for them to hold on to him.

All about the benjamins. 

Or I could be completely wrong, he left of his own volition, or maybe was difficult to work with and dropped for other reasons of course. Anything is possible.

Here's hoping Clarks next few releases are bangers on his own label, he can show WARP what they're missing out on. =P

He has an equal amount of Spotify listeners and some of his music vids have over 1 mil views

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, thumbass said:

He has an equal amount of Spotify listeners and some of his music vids have over 1 mil views

Clark - 140k monthly listeners

Aphex - 1.65 million monthly listeners

BoC - 745K

SP - 260K 

Autechre is only 128K ?

Still, you're right it's comparable  - I didn't realize he had that large of a fan base. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

47 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Clark - 140k monthly listeners

Aphex - 1.65 million monthly listeners

BoC - 745K

SP - 260K 

Autechre is only 128K ?

Still, you're right it's comparable  - I didn't realize he had that large of a fan base. 

I know Plaid had about 300,000 during the release of Polymer. Now it's about 191,000, though I'm sure for people outside of the heavy IDM fanbase, people might feel the later Autechre stuff is too much for them maybe, since I know on here more people are into Autechre than Plaid. Clark has a lot of well known tracks on spotify as well.

• Like 1

Spotify listens are only a partial reflection of idm enthusiasm, most og bronies are getting either the digital vinals or 24 bit wavs w/ lush nulls for listening on the home hifi snareush beats to gamer/sperg to.

Aslo these are popularity contest metrics, who cares

WARP only survives because of nostalgia as it positionned itself as the dad-rock label of electronic music.

Edited by Bob Dylan
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bob Dylan said:

WARP only survives because of nostalgia as it positionned itself as the dad-rock label of electronic music.

probably dad-rock to like, the idm community itself. they seem to being doing well since they have plenty of amazing artists to my ears and to the general public and constantly have acclaimed artists drop acclaimed albums every year.

For sure shitify listeners isn't the only metric to measure value to a label. I don't know what went on behind the scenes with Clark but I'm guessing Branding Problem is a clue.
He seems to get a decent amount of soundtrack work + sync so hope that continues to be successful for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Dance said:

Warp along with the rest of the world has mostly moved on from turn of the millennium idm, it is what it is.

• Haha 4

On 4/27/2020 at 6:27 PM, Hugh Mughnus said:

Edit: see I'm in the huge minority (I think) that actually liked Iradelphic. That was his last proper release for me. Some complained he was hanging out with Wilkinson too much at the time but I enjoyed how much different it sounded than his other output BUT was still undeniably Clark. 

just wanted to say you're not alone man. big Iradelphic fan here. the beats weren't as huge as what he'd done before and I guess that didn't please some folks, but it still had the undeniably Clark sound you mentioned.

for me, I don't ever think he'll be able to top Body Riddle. that IMO is his masterpiece and what elevated him from just another artist on the warp roster to established boss.

• Like 2