IGNORED

Anyone using Reaper?

TheBro

I just downloaded Reaper. That said thinking about converting to Fruity from Ableton which I haven't used in ages. Well I bought a new laptop didn't I!! Anyways going back to my original sentence - anyone using it?

i used to use it a lot for recording bands.. it was really good. my fave DAW for that kind of stuff. i've not done any electronic musics/midi/composition etc with it tho, so dinno how it is for that..

It's been my DAW for about 5 years now. The biggest appeal was the price, at the time of purchase. It's current role for me is the recording of audio tracks (Max->Rewire->Reaper, Hardware->Reaper, or just routing my desktop audio into to it) and 'post-production', though I have done full midi compositions in it before as well.

Reaper is quite flexible... maybe a bit of a steeper learning curve than some others, but not too bad.

Break the shackles of FL , the Bro... the future awaits

Yeah it's been my mixing, mastering and mixset-creating DAW of choice for about a decade now. Still have absolutely no idea how to compose on it, and probably only use like 5% of the features but remains perfect for what I need it for.

I use it to mix and master tracks, it's ace for anything audio IMO : super fast to operate, ultra-customizable and low on CPU (I don't know how they do but that's pretty impressive).

I don't gel with its way to handle MIDI though.

Curious to see what v6 wil be like though.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:53 AM, xox said:

im withing version 6 out of principle. i believe the current version is 5.99999996524261.000001 

I waited for v5 before I registered.  That was something like three years ago, maybe 4, and there have been so many major feature updates without actually going to v6.  At this rate, I won't have to give them another $60 until like 2027. 

That's another one of the great things about Reaper, point releases aren't just bugfixes, they regularly feature significant additions (IIRC spectral editing was introduced in a point release, for example), they don't just put out a new version every year or so to force people to pay for upgrades more often like a lot of companies do.

I hear it's the undisputed champion of CPU efficiency and utilization of multicores - people report halving the strain with big projects. I'm building a beefy Ryzen PC and will definitely give it a spin. 

I'm using a decade old multicore server and as long as I don't load up any one track with a bunch of CPU hungry plugins, I can run pretty high track counts with a lot of plugins easily.  Seems to utilize cores on a per-track basis. I can run multiple instances of Reaktor as a VST in Reaper, but Reaktor standalone won't even run on the same machine.

Archived