Memory: The Origins of Alien Documentary

I once heard that Giger was doing a signing at a comic shop in my town, so I ran home to grab some artwork of his, but all I could find was this cheap illustrated calendar I had. I hurried to the shop, but he had just left when I arrived and was walking towards me with his entourage, so I mustered all my courage and waved the calendar in front of his face, stammering something incomprehensible. He just looked at me as if I was the alien and scribbled his name on the cheap paper. I think it's the only autograph I ever got from someone who did not even stop walking during the process. He seemed absolutely miserable, forlorn and disgusted, and I'm still not sure if his distaste was directed at me specifically or life on this planet in gereral. I wonder what happened to that calendar.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, IDEM said:

I once heard that Giger was doing a signing at a comic shop in my town, so I ran home to grab some artwork of his, but all I could find was this cheap illustrated calendar I had. I hurried to the shop, but he had just left when I arrived and was walking towards me with his entourage, so I mustered all my courage and waved the calendar in front of his face, stammering something incomprehensible. He just looked at me as if I was the alien and scribbled his name on the cheap paper. I think it's the only autograph I ever got from someone who did not even stop walking during the process. He seemed absolutely miserable, forlorn and disgusted, and I'm still not sure if his distaste was directed at me specifically or life on this planet in gereral. I wonder what happened to that calendar.

Guy drew some pretty dark stuff, so I can imagine he like most artists wrestled with his own feelings and problems...

giger and o'bannon were both working on jodorowsky's dune. when financing fell through- they returned to the united states with extensive storyboard and ideas that later found their way into alien. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure if it’s still on Netflix, but they had a documentary on Ginger at one point and he did seem extremely lonely and kinda miserable. Poor guy. 

• Sad 1