IGNORED

Floating Points - Crush

thumbass

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This album is fucking amazing. "J&W/K&G Beat" were some of the best tracks ever committed to an EP and I went on to love "Vacuum Boogie"/assorted singles and EPs. However, he started losing me hard with the 16 minute kick drum n' vibraphone stuff. "Dad house" is too true for the past couple of albums.

This ain't that--goddamn he went IDM/mentalism and it works. It's like Sam has been snoozin' and dreamin' for a spell and then woke the fuck up. In awe at the size of this lad.

• Like 2

Sounds like I should check this one out. Saw him live a few years back with a friend and remember the visuals being more interesting than the music. I checked out Elaenia and thought it was pretty meh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Sounds like I should check this one out. Saw him live a few years back with a friend and remember the visuals being more interesting than the music. I checked out Elaenia and thought it was pretty meh.

Exactly...Elaenia and then some other one about a desert--Mojave or some shit, idk I was totally checked out on him. I can't stress enough how different and superior this record is to almost everything he's done. Big brain electronics plus wicked interludes like "Sea-Watch". I think Sam is in neuroscience by trade and I love that he called the closers "apoptose pt 1 and 2". Apoptosis is programmed cellular death that prevents necrosis and inflammation. Maybe it's the life sciences in me, but the way the tracks burble into chaos from quiet beginnings is perfect imagery for that process. Aphex should be jelly with this--it's the record he should have made. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, xxx said:

Exactly...Elaenia and then some other one about a desert--Mojave or some shit, idk I was totally checked out on him. I can't stress enough how different and superior this record is to almost everything he's done. Big brain electronics plus wicked interludes like "Sea-Watch". I think Sam is in neuroscience by trade and I love that he called the closers "apoptose pt 1 and 2". Apoptosis is programmed cellular death that prevents necrosis and inflammation. Maybe it's the life sciences in me, but the way the tracks burble into chaos from quiet beginnings is perfect imagery for that process. Aphex should be jelly with this--it's the record he should have made. 

Agreed on all counts...though I really did enjoy seeing him live on that last tour.  

That being said....I cringed at the Aphex mention, but then I put this on and...damn.  This is surprisingly lush. 

Fuck this is really good.. wasn't expecting it to be quite so "idm" but this sounds really works for him and still with his own jazzy style..very impressed 

Edited by kirm

I don't have kids but I imagine that if your kid was mega mediocre at something for a bit but then steered out of it even a smidge, you'd be unusually enthusiastic about it. I did that with this album lol. It's a really solid album but I got a little....effervescent. I was just so happy to hear Sam shake out of his slumber. I still am and it's still a special record but I regret Aphex invocations. I won't retract because it can't be denied that Sam is driving slowly after midnight in Richard's neighborhood with these synths. Creamed corn, wobbly tuning and some Middle Eastern/Asian modes and scales spiced in...you can't hide your Tuss. That said, good records need to stand alone out from under ginger shadows and I'm committed to reform on that front ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, species8472 said:

definitely has more of a mass appeal type sound. reminds me of four tet or jon hopkins in a way. not a negative thing, it is an excellent album. quite surprised by it.

yes, i definetely put it in that boat.  i respect both them and enjoy them when they come on the radio but dont really listen to them past that.

Edit: they ar eall obviously great musicians/producers though. 

Edited by donquixote
  • Like 1