Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thumbass

Floating Points - Crush

Recommended Posts

I saw this pop up in Flipboard today, apparently he's also released a Late Night Tales mix this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This track is actually really nice! It's well-made and relaxing. The other single is great as well. Pre-ordered the CD on blerp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never heard of Floating Points, but I'm in love with that video.  The music is good, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is not what i was expecting. pretty sick!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, species8472 said:

this is not what i was expecting. pretty sick!

proper beautiful record this is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard a promo the other day and I'll be checking this out for sure. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This album is fucking amazing. "J&W/K&G Beat" were some of the best tracks ever committed to an EP and I went on to love "Vacuum Boogie"/assorted singles and EPs. However, he started losing me hard with the 16 minute kick drum n' vibraphone stuff. "Dad house" is too true for the past couple of albums.

 

This ain't that--goddamn he went IDM/mentalism and it works. It's like Sam has been snoozin' and dreamin' for a spell and then woke the fuck up. In awe at the size of this lad.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like I should check this one out. Saw him live a few years back with a friend and remember the visuals being more interesting than the music. I checked out Elaenia and thought it was pretty meh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Sounds like I should check this one out. Saw him live a few years back with a friend and remember the visuals being more interesting than the music. I checked out Elaenia and thought it was pretty meh.

Exactly...Elaenia and then some other one about a desert--Mojave or some shit, idk I was totally checked out on him. I can't stress enough how different and superior this record is to almost everything he's done. Big brain electronics plus wicked interludes like "Sea-Watch". I think Sam is in neuroscience by trade and I love that he called the closers "apoptose pt 1 and 2". Apoptosis is programmed cellular death that prevents necrosis and inflammation. Maybe it's the life sciences in me, but the way the tracks burble into chaos from quiet beginnings is perfect imagery for that process. Aphex should be jelly with this--it's the record he should have made. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xxx said:

Exactly...Elaenia and then some other one about a desert--Mojave or some shit, idk I was totally checked out on him. I can't stress enough how different and superior this record is to almost everything he's done. Big brain electronics plus wicked interludes like "Sea-Watch". I think Sam is in neuroscience by trade and I love that he called the closers "apoptose pt 1 and 2". Apoptosis is programmed cellular death that prevents necrosis and inflammation. Maybe it's the life sciences in me, but the way the tracks burble into chaos from quiet beginnings is perfect imagery for that process. Aphex should be jelly with this--it's the record he should have made. 

Agreed on all counts...though I really did enjoy seeing him live on that last tour.  

 

That being said....I cringed at the Aphex mention, but then I put this on and...damn.  This is surprisingly lush. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well shit, I guess I’ll give this one a go. I liked Elaenia but wasn’t a huge fan of the Mojave stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only really got into Floating Points earlier this year. Didn't know what to expect from this album, but I chucked it on yesterday and thought it was proper tasty.

Bias = phwoar! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only listened to it while working, but so far this seems very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck this is really good.. wasn't expecting it to be quite so "idm" but this sounds really works for him and still with his own jazzy style..very impressed 

Edited by kirm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have kids but I imagine that if your kid was mega mediocre at something for a bit but then steered out of it even a smidge, you'd be unusually enthusiastic about it. I did that with this album lol. It's a really solid album but I got a little....effervescent. I was just so happy to hear Sam shake out of his slumber. I still am and it's still a special record but I regret Aphex invocations. I won't retract because it can't be denied that Sam is driving slowly after midnight in Richard's neighborhood with these synths. Creamed corn, wobbly tuning and some Middle Eastern/Asian modes and scales spiced in...you can't hide your Tuss. That said, good records need to stand alone out from under ginger shadows and I'm committed to reform on that front 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its got bare skills in both production and music however im not sure it'll stick with me for some reason. too clean maybe....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

definitely has more of a mass appeal type sound. reminds me of four tet or jon hopkins in a way. not a negative thing, it is an excellent album. quite surprised by it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, species8472 said:

definitely has more of a mass appeal type sound. reminds me of four tet or jon hopkins in a way. not a negative thing, it is an excellent album. quite surprised by it.

yes, i definetely put it in that boat.  i respect both them and enjoy them when they come on the radio but dont really listen to them past that.

 

Edit: they ar eall obviously great musicians/producers though. 

Edited by donquixote
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thumbass said:

This is such a great piece of work.

I'm detecting love from the thumbass camp for sure! 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...