IGNORED

Daniel Lopatin - Uncut Gems (Original Soundtrack)

SeparateHold

On 10/29/2019 at 6:01 PM, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

Wacky move dropping the opn alias. Hyped tho. 

i see that as a sign that he plans on pursuing soundtracks long term, and not just a passing curiosity for him. its makes sense that he would try to make the distinction cuz he prly doesnt want to convolute the opn alias too much as that sound is already pretty diverse by this point, sort of a symptom of his always shifting direction with each subsequent release and clearly not wanting to repeat himself very often. maybe he should release some stuff under his other monikers like dania shapes or total system point never. anyways i would love to see dan doing soundtracks when he's like in his 70s and 80s, à la morricone, carpenter etc. but i'll be dead by then for sure

a sound i would like him to repeat a bit would be that metal drill-n-blast thingy from the commissions ep but thats just me

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, malaria said:

Wow, this is great. I wasn’t super into the Good Time OST, but am really digging this. 

Dangelis is now bae.

I didn't really get into Good Times the first time I saw it, but recently rewatched it and thought it was brilliant. ?

On 12/15/2019 at 11:23 PM, nightlark said:

track 17, title track "Uncut Gems". been trying to think of a good circumcision joke for weeks now but unfortunately nothing yet 8[

wasn't super into good time ost as a stand alone release aside from a few tracks myself but absolutely loved the way that music worked in the film as whole. this one seems to stand on it's own a little better imo. definitely getting vangelis vibes similarly to how the tangerine dream was all over good time. i really like how he's exploring his favourite film composer influences by actually making legit soundtracks himself, also getting some geinoh, ryuichi vibes here and there. what others influences, that are obvious, are you guys hearing? was a little conflicted about listening to this b4 seeing the movie but glad i did, its not like i could resist for too long anyways and the movie prly wont be avail on disc for another 4-6 mnths sooo....

Might be just me but I felt a strong Jean Michel Jarre vibe in some of the melodies

On 10/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, dr lopez said:

hmm it's not "hollywood detritus" but.. it's a soundtrack. soundtracks are boring to listen to, never understood why soundtracks were treated with any interest.

The instrumentals, or 2nd half tracks on Low by Bowie were originally made for the movie The Man Who Fell To Earth, but the director said nah because they are actually interesting tracks.  

That said, I fully support soundtrack OPN and I'm still a fan of ambient OPN.

There are some real "Raising Arizona" moments on this soundtrack; particularly "Fuck You Howard". I just keep hearing Holly Hunter saying "I wont that baby, h-i" and I can't stop laughing. I can tell that it will be a really good soundtrack but I'm skipping the purchase because I can't get it to work in a home listening framework. Some really nice textures and ideas in it for sure though. It will do its job I'm sure. 

On 12/15/2019 at 10:23 PM, nightlark said:

was a little conflicted about listening to this b4 seeing the movie but glad i did, its not like i could resist for too long anyways and the movie prly wont be avail on disc for another 4-6 mnths sooo....

I think there is a place you can go to watch the film this month.

can't wait to see the film. Good Time is easily one of the best films I've seen this decade. also noted the dropping of OPN name, weird. Good Time soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks ever but at the same uneven the best 'soundtrack' is hardly a good 'album' when taken on its own merit. still fukn stoked for this film

On 12/18/2019 at 12:14 PM, MadameChaos said:

I didn't really get into Good Times the first time I saw it, but recently rewatched it and thought it was brilliant. ?

Yeah I liked the movie a lot when I saw it in theaters, but listening to the Good Time soundtrack on its own doesn't do much for me. A bit too noodle-y, IMO.

Still really enjoying this one though.

On 12/19/2019 at 8:19 AM, Avarik said:

I think there is a place you can go to watch the film this month.

Not outside of the US at the moment sadly.

In France it seems like it won't even get released in theaters but just on Netflix... I'm gutted especially since 1) Good Time was released in cinemas and 2) Uncut Gems seems to get a lot of exposure...

Damn, what a film. It's hard to remember a movie that stressed me the fuck out that much lol. I got a huge inside laugh when the family jumps in the car to go home and you hear the radio station ident as Q106.7 (hi Daniel). I also couldn't help but wonder if....

The Safdie brothers wrote this out of their own love for the Celtics or if they did it knowing that Daniel would be pretty stoked about it. When Gooey brought Aaron to the auction so he could get KG autographs, I couldn't help but think about Daniel showing up to set to do the same thing 

?

Obligatory: the caboose on Julia Fox ayyyyyy forget about it

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, xxx said:

IDM no more for Danny boi. Dude just backed the Weeknd on Saturday Night Live

fucking hell this is so laaaame, wtf is this 80's middle of the road FM shit ? 

Archived