IGNORED

hi all.......

david1806

Hi everyone...

I just found this forum by accident (I was looking for a clear definition of Filter Envolopes) and I ended up here!  And having a little look around, it looks really cool!  So I thought I would say hi and introduce myself.

Only thing is, it's 7:32 - in the morning, and I have been up all night a/playing Civilization VI and b/ got stuck into my music (I use Reason 10) - and suddenly it's silly o' clock in the morning.  Thankfully I work from 4pm to midnight so I can allow these daft bedtimes.  But not too often though.....  Anyway, the point is, if it's okay with you chaps, I will come back later and say a bit more about myself.  I have just finished a track that would be nice to get some thoughts on - it's a total remix (i.e. only the vocals are not played by me) of "Come Together" by The Beatles - you might have heard of them, just some little band from the UK, they had one or two hits I believe. (I did try popping it on SoundCloud - it lasted about 0.2 seconds...which I don't really get - don't they still have DJ mashups on there, or are they not allowed either now - I haven't been on SC for yonks.....)

Anyhow, I really must get to bed....hope to chat to you later. Nighty night (or should that be morningy morning...)...  ??

David

Salutations.

21 minutes ago, david1806 said:

I have just finished a track that would be nice to get some thoughts on - it's a total remix (i.e. only the vocals are not played by me) of "Come Together" by The Beatles...

There's a subforum here called "Your Latest Creations" intended for this specifically. I recommend posting it there. 

:beer:

Hi david 1806 on behalf of the rest of WATMM I would like to welcome you to the foremost home of IDM conversation and gentle banter. I'm pleased to say we have recently been rated one of the best and most friendly communities on the internet and I'm sure my fellow IDM (and other extreme musics of course :P) enthusiasts will welcome you here with open arms.

Please take the time to peruse the various subforums we have. EKT is a particular favourite on this board and I highly recommend checking out any work posted by The Bro, he's possibly our most profilic producer. I myself like to listen to Autechre. If you're not familiar with them, they're kind of a hip-hop/music concrete hybrid. Aphex Twin made one good song called Come to Daddy but I don't think he has made much since. But anyway, I'm probably babbling on a bit too much now!

Make yourself comfortable and do of course read the rules.

1 hour ago, Blir said:

Hi david 1806 on behalf of the rest of WATMM I would like to welcome you to the foremost home of IDM conversation and gentle banter. I'm pleased to say we have recently been rated one of the best and most friendly communities on the internet and I'm sure my fellow IDM (and other extreme musics of course :P) enthusiasts will welcome you here with open arms.

Please take the time to peruse the various subforums we have. EKT is a particular favourite on this board and I highly recommend checking out any work posted by The Bro, he's possibly our most profilic producer. I myself like to listen to Autechre. If you're not familiar with them, they're kind of a hip-hop/music concrete hybrid. Aphex Twin made one good song called Come to Daddy but I don't think he has made much since. But anyway, I'm probably babbling on a bit too much now!

Make yourself comfortable and do of course read the rules.

lol

Wow....thanks for all the 'hellos' - seems like I have stumbled across a great forum.... ?  I have read the rules, apologies if I have inadvertently broken one.  Not too sure what it was - I can't ask as I will break the rule again....LOL! 

So, for those with absolutely nothing better to do, I'll bore you with a bit about meself.  Obviously, music is a huge passion - I play the piano and guitar.  Back in the 90s and noughties, I was a record producer - hard house (mainly) was the name of game.  Don't know what they call it now.  I made a lot of records, had my "moment" as it were.  The real bummer is I lost a huge chunk of my record collection while living in Barcelona, and they included all my house 12" records, my own as well.  Gutted.  But luckily I have friends who have copies, so I have popped them onto a ReverbNation page.  I gave them a listen for the first time in a long time the other day, and I think they hold up ok....except the bpm - jeez, it was all a bit faster back then!!  One of the tunes ('Rhythm') has Dido doing the vocals.  I needed a female vocalist to sing a line or two in a tune, and I knew her brother so he suggested having her in the studio to do it.  This was a before she went on to have the squillion-selling Life for Rent album. Lovely girl.....  I've popped a link in the other forum section here if you are interested in giving them a listen.....(but please, headphones or decent speakers, not ya PC speakers or the like!).

So, since I can now do pretty much anything musically on my laptop, I thought I would get going with some new tracks. I feel my best start is to do some straight out remixes, to get the feel of being "back in the studio" - plus remixing is one of my favourite things to do.  There is an incredible site out there that has thousands of acapellas, a dream come true for someone like myself.  If only that had existed back in the day.  I remember acapellas being like gold dust!  The idea is to do a few tracks to show what I can do, as obviously the ideas I use in remixes can be transferred over to original music.  We'll see....at the moment I am just loving being able to do the most incredible things - on my laptop!!  I use Reason - have done for awhile now (I have been tinkering for a good few years - but only just started to actually create new tunes).  Just an awesome piece of software.The first few versions were a bit amateur, but no longer.  Since v6 which included the professional mixer, it has become a totally professional tool, and now it can use VST plug ins.  Although truth be told, I have always believed that having great software or whatever won't make great tunes - you have to do that.  With a lot of the DAWs out there now, if you can't produce anything good, then all the gear in the world isn't going to help.  OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.....

So, that's about it really.  Maybe someone might want to PM regarding any rules I might have broke - or be breaking....?  This seems a great forum and I would hate to get off to a bad start!  For example, I would really like my new remix to be listened to, but I don't know the deal with regards to what is allowed.  If it is allowed, I will post it up tonight....

Right, I'll stop droning on now and let you get on with something more interesting.....

Cheers all...........David ??

37 minutes ago, david1806 said:

...   I have read the rules, apologies if I have inadvertently broken one.  Not too sure what it was - I can't ask as I will break the rule again....LOL! 

You clearly need to go back and read those rules a bit closer. 

Also, hi!

Also, you’re never going to be a real member until you get an Aphex Twin tattoo. We all have them. 

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

You clearly need to go back and read those rules a bit closer. 

Ooeer...I have read them three times now and still can't work it out! Countless forums and thousands of posts down the years - this is a first!!  Put me out my misery and PM me and let me know...please!

Archived