IGNORED

Hi all

david1806

I was about to pop my new track up, when aha - and I thought it might be a problem - my audio track of Come Together - it was exported from Reason as a WAV file - is......76MB...!!  The limit is 20MB.  So, I have just tried an online converter, that has got it down to 51MB.  

To be honest, this process of a new track ending as a WAV file is all a bit new to me (yep, it's been that long!!) - the last time I was doing this I would be mixing down to - wait for it - a DAT recorder!  Remember those? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tape -  I mean, I have been through the process before, but never had to then think about sharing/posting/emailing the final product. So, any suggestions?  Is there a way to get a small file without loss of quality?  

I had a feeling that this would be an issue when I started getting back into music.  I am hoping that there is a standard road to go down as a solution.

Many thanks in advance.....
David

Just had a thought - if anyone can think of a site I can upload it to, so I can then just post the link?  Soundcloud won't have it, as I can't log into my ReverbNation account as it was so long ago I have no idea of the log-in details. I am trying to sort that one out now.  The long-term answer is I am going to shortly set up my own website, but that won't be for another month or so.....mmm, unless maybe I can set up a free, temporary one just so I can upload my tunes - any thoughts on that one? Thanks again!!!

Wave files are very important for physical transfers (CDs, vinyl pressing) and when you want to use the audio for another project file as you can keep rendering without any degradation. They're not intended for public internet sharing. FLAC is a lossless format but should be reserved for paid downloads We live in an mp3 world where you can squeeze the size quite a bit without noticeable quality loss, but it's important to keep track of the bit rate. Most streaming services convert to 128 Kbps which is acceptable in most cases. 320 Kbps is considered near-CD quality and you should be skeptical of people who make a fuss about that bit rate. 

You can find online converters but it's better to do it offline. Audacity is a free program that let's you convert your files. Remember to back them up somewhere safe, several times - it's not fun to look back on years of music making with only a tiny portion surviving hard drive crashes and websites dying. 

^clyp.it posted above is a good temporary stream service. 

Archived