IGNORED

What reverbs are y’all using?

Limo

8 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

But to stay on topic, as far as reverbs it's pretty much down to VVV, the OTO Bam and a Behringer V-Verb for me (not counting built in effects in gear, probably my most used reverb is he Octatrack Dark Reverb but that's more because I've been doing live to stereo recordings through the Octatrack a lot recently).  BAM for big, lush, artificial sounding reverb, V-Verb for low-in-the-mix ambiences to make individual tracks sit in their own space without sounding like they have reverb, and VVV for when I want to use one reverb across a unch of tracks without committing to printing from hardware. Sometimes I'll go back when the mix is pretty much done and try swapping the BAM in for VVV to see if I like it better, and sometimes I do.

I have a V-Verb here and was using it with a Quadraverb in the exact same way - unlike the QV it’s really good for tight, vivid sounding rooms - but my repair job didn’t quite take and now it “works” but spews out a really ugly whine over the analog outs. Huge bummer that they put a lot of effort into designing original reverb algos and then made the final product out of tinfoil, hot glue, etc.

That's a shame.  Mine has a dim spot on the right side of the screen that's no problem now but is ominous, and it will randomly lose clock and spew out harsh digital noise from time to time when I use the digital i/o, but it sounds really nice even now. 

I did manage to get all the hot glue out and swap all the electrolytics in the power supply for better quality, slightly higher rated caps so it'll probably manage to survive for at least a few more years. Wish I'd known back when they were being blwn out for $80 or something new in box (but not as much as I wish I'd known abotu it when the Akai MFC42s were being blown out new in box for about the same!)

Edited by TubularCorporation

4 hours ago, sheatheman said:

I’m pretty good at coming up with patches but I don’t know how to use max or any of that stuff, and while I would love to learn, time is short these days.

If you ever find a few days to invest into Max, PD, or SuperCollider, it can really pay off having building blocks for that stuff. Once you get the foundation you can follow your nose and incrementally learn things. Then you're no longer stuck with other people's tools and you can build things for the occasion.

4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

That's a shame.  Mine has a dim spot on the right side of the screen that's no problem now but is ominous, and it will randomly lose clock and spew out harsh digital noise from time to time when I use the digital i/o, but it sounds really nice even now. 

I did manage to get all the hot glue out and swap all the electrolytics in the power supply for better quality, slightly higher rated caps so it'll probably manage to survive for at least a few more years. Wish I'd known back when they were being blwn out for $80 or something new in box (but not as much as I wish I'd known abotu it when the Akai MFC42s were being blown out new in box for about the same!)

Yeah I got mine cheap because the electrolytics had popped and I had a few months of harmonious operation before I started getting noise issues. It will also crash, overheat and refuse to boot up pretty frequently. I’m wondering if I could just drop a readymade PSU in there with the same specs. Sucks, but I don’t miss it so much after I swapped it out of the rack for a second Quadraverb.

23 hours ago, ignatius said:

they do sales some times.. like 50% off i think? can't recall though.. but try the demo. if you like it wait for a sale or check KVR. i've seen it FS used there. 

thanks man I read up a little bit more on it and I need to wait until I get a new computer before getting it my laptop only has an i5 an 8gb ram. It looks pretty cool unlike anything else I have seen. Some of the user reviews I saw said it does not have early reflections and that people usually run it in a chain with their fav early reflection reverb before it.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:02 PM, sweepstakes said:

Mostly hand-rolled allpass arrays in SuperCollider these days. Otherwise Erbe-Verb.

I have a Quadraverb and a BAM but I haven't used either in months.

fuck yeah. I made a reverb using a bunch of comb and allpass filters in Max a few years ago and it's been my favorite to use since. I added a slider that moves the delays between their randomized reverb-cloud values and multiples of a single value (making it work more like a harmonizer). it's fun to fade between harmonic and aharmonic reverberation.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

spacer.png

I used to have a Nanoverb an ex-Akai friend had acquired from somwhere or other, but for some reason it had a Nanobass front panel.   Sounded great, and if I was still playing out regularly I'd miss having it.

1 hour ago, Boxus said:

fuck yeah. I made a reverb using a bunch of comb and allpass filters in Max a few years ago and it's been my favorite to use since. I added a slider that moves the delays between their randomized reverb-cloud values and multiples of a single value (making it work more like a harmonizer). it's fun to fade between harmonic and aharmonic reverberation.

I've been interested in making a sort of lo-fi analog ambience/reverb box of some kind with analog allpass filters.  There's no way it would sound "good" but it could be really interesting.  I'm not quite there yet as far as actually understanding electronics vs. just being good at assembly, but maybe some day.

Quadraverb Crew reporting in, and Thafknar for convolution. I'm partial to impulses of plate reverbs and old Dynacord boxes. With some time adjustment you can get good sounds. I've been eyeing the Vermona VSR for a while...