IGNORED

Finally.......

david1806

So here is my remix of Come Together, by The Beatles.  I was well aware that I was treading on sacred ground, so I have tried to keep the feel of the track.  That bass line took me hours, with all the slides and wot not.  Apart from the vocals, I play everything else.....

Hope you enjoy!!

Come_Together.mp3

That's a really nice sounding remix. I could imagine myself playing it in a DJ set at a party somewhere - not just a dumb "house" remix with digital sounding electro beats added on and neither is it some over the top psychedelic shroom journey which is impenetrable to regular folks. Mix sounded really nice and clear on my cans too... maybe even too perfect and clinical? Dunno, but I guess if I was remixing/redoing The Beatles I would leave some of that old lo-fi feeling somewhere, some kind of imperfections or whatever.

On 9/9/2019 at 3:15 PM, thawkins said:

not just a dumb "house" remix with digital sounding electro beats added on

Exactly!! As much as I love house music, I was so aware of the ground I was treading on, so it was very important to me to keep the groove/feel of the original, which I hope I have managed to do. 

I hear what you are saying regarding the mix, and that's an interesting thought. Only thing is, it would be going against every musical grain in my body!! Clean and clear is kind of all I know, it's a huge part of my musical make up, if that makes any sense! But, Reason has an FX unit called Audiomatic, take a look

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/effects/audiomatic

Can't do anything for a couple of weeks, no laptop (long story) but I'm certainly going to give it a go....

Anyway, many thanks for taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated...

2 hours ago, david1806 said:

Exactly!! As much as I love house music, I was so aware of the ground I was treading on, so it was very important to me to keep the groove/feel of the original, which I hope I have managed to do. 

I hear what you are saying regarding the mix, and that's an interesting thought. Only thing is, it would be going against every musical grain in my body!! Clean and clear is kind of all I know, it's a huge part of my musical make up, if that makes any sense! But, Reason has an FX unit called Audiomatic, take a look

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/effects/audiomatic

Can't do anything for a couple of weeks, no laptop (long story) but I'm certainly going to give it a go....

Anyway, many thanks for taking the time to comment, it's much appreciated...

I guess one way to think about it is that what's clean & clear today on your regular audio dude home studio vs 70s abbey road is that the former is way tilted in favor of today's technology and probably a lot of stuff the old engineers had to care about is now not an issue. Like on a laptop you can undo/redo an insane amount of times whereas on tape you can ruin your stuff if you spin the things too much, not to mention noise floors and ADC/DAC quality.

So if I am thinking about re-mixing something from the 70s I feel I kind of have to get into the mindset of not just slapping some whizbang psychoacoustic VST on it because it would seem out of place like someone shopping iPhones on renaissance paintings - even if it's done really well technically, logically it won't make sense.

Basically I think what I would do is put some of your tracks through a crackling old radio or tube amp (or maybe even that Reason effect) to just add a tiny minuscule amount of distortion or coloration. Because on one side you have the Beatles samples with the quite distinct old school sound (you know how old documentaries have a different sound when people are speaking), but your tracks on the other hand are more full-range and "modern". Not sure why, but feels like the two sides could share a bit more common ground maybe? Come to think of it, maybe I'd put the drums through the same dub-delay effect that you have the vox and guitars going through?

I am just probably thinking too much into this whole thing though. Sorry for the wall of text and glad to hear you like my sig. ?

You're really opening up a can of worms, remixing the Beatles! As a comp track for the vocals it's doing the job, but to me the track is struggling a bit to find an identity. Production-wise the 808 snare trills felt out of place in the overall reggae backbeat vibe. The bass and percussion is super sleek, did you do any phase tricks? And then you've got this geocities midi-esque guitar sound that doesn't really work...

I felt ready for an instrumental section after the first chorus, in my opinion the track kinda lost its signature there. You have a ton of room to experiment and go wild with a song like this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, chim said:

You're really opening up a can of worms, remixing the Beatles! As a comp track for the vocals it's doing the job, but to me the track is struggling a bit to find an identity. Production-wise the 808 snare trills felt out of place in the overall reggae backbeat vibe. The bass and percussion is super sleek, did you do any phase tricks? And then you've got this geocities midi-esque guitar sound that doesn't really work...

I felt ready for an instrumental section after the first chorus, in my opinion the track kinda lost its signature there. You have a ton of room to experiment and go wild with a song like this. 

Yeah now do a 12-15 minute deconstructed dub remix or whatsitscalled. ?

On 9/19/2019 at 5:15 PM, thawkins said:

Yeah now do a 12-15 minute deconstructed dub remix or whatsitscalled. ?

LOL!! I would have people at my door with pitchforks to burn my house down. 

So I have put it out there to a few people, and, surprisingly, it's been pretty much 100% positive feedback. I haven't been lynched yet!! ??

Archived