IGNORED

Aphex Peel Session Vinyl Released

donquixote

Nah this is top draw lads. I would have killed for this 24 years ago. It's all about us old middle age cunts fulfilling our teenage dreams/mid life crisis.

Edit: just googled and I'm not middle aged yet apparently. Still thoughts the same. 

Edit2: chuffed with both things now. Woop.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, donquixote said:

Gak? 

Edit: I always find the history of Gak intriguing as, if I recall correctly, it wasn't officially known as being a Richard release for some time  

Edit: i might be misrembering the above tho. I bought it for some reason.

Ah, you're right - GAK uses the generic WARP purple sleeve. And yes, GAK wasn't official attributed to Richard until the Japanese version of Come to Viddy (a VHS collection of Aphex Twin videos, also the only place at the time you could get an official release of the Ventolin video) where GAK was listed in the inside cover liner:

image.png

Discovered by yours truly!

15 hours ago, aencre said:

Also, while we’re nitpicking and trainspotting : it’s vaguely funny that Radiator is now called so, and not SAW2 CD1 TRK2 (Original Mix) as on 26 Mixes, or Harmonicom 13 like as in the SC dump.

Yeah, that is interesting - he's always veered away from the 'fan' titles (I didn't like on 26 Mixes that it was called "CD1 TRK2" when the official title was and always has been "Untitled". Then again, he did go back and name all those Caustic Window tracks for the Caustic Window Collection LP...

3 hours ago, donquixote said:

just put in a support request asking if this is gonna happen. let you know. (wanna get my vinyl there)

LOL, there's a support page/mechanism?

37 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Ah, you're right - GAK uses the generic WARP purple sleeve. And yes, GAK wasn't official attributed to Richard until the Japanese version of Come to Viddy (a VHS collection of Aphex Twin videos, also the only place at the time you could get an official release of the Ventolin video) where GAK was listed in the inside cover liner:

image.png

Discovered by yours truly!

Yeah, that is interesting - he's always veered away from the 'fan' titles (I didn't like on 26 Mixes that it was called "CD1 TRK2" when the official title was and always has been "Untitled". Then again, he did go back and name all those Caustic Window tracks for the Caustic Window Collection LP...

LOL, there's a support page/mechanism?

What year was come to viddy? Know I definitely had it early on so there must have been rumours. Maybe Sister Ray records told me?

(Edit: 97! I actually have that. Defo had Gak before that. Remember listening to it in school and think it was our boy. I wonder how?!?)

The support mechanism just goes through to bleep comically. They let me down on a load of next day delivery t-shirts when I was on holiday and  had forgotten my tshirts so I've had to deal with them before. They were reasonable people tho but it meant I had to live in the same two t-shirts for 5 days.

22 hours ago, donquixote said:

What year was come to viddy? Know I definitely had it early on so there must have been rumours. Maybe Sister Ray records told me?

(Edit: 97! I actually have that. Defo had Gak before that. Remember listening to it in school and think it was our boy. I wonder how?!?)

The support mechanism just goes through to bleep comically. They let me down on a load of next day delivery t-shirts when I was on holiday and  had forgotten my tshirts so I've had to deal with them before. They were reasonable people tho but it meant I had to live in the same two t-shirts for 5 days.

Mind, it's only the Japanese release of Come To Viddy - the UK/US release doesn't feature Ventolin, nor does it come in an awesome plastic clamshell case like the Japanese version does (I remember we had a member from Japan here on the site back in '99/'00 that actually gifted that to me! So nice of them to send me that back then).

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I have zero frollick rating for this release.

Have I arrived at boomer status?

I think that's more zoomer territory. I feel like the boomer for being excited. 

12 minutes ago, hijexx said:

I have zero frollick rating for this release.

Have I arrived at boomer status?

I know what you mean... I'm glad the session finally saw a release, but it took sooo long for tracks just about anyone who wanted to hear them have already heard. Kinda anticlimactic.

I think we're feeling a bit entitled.

On 9/19/2019 at 12:41 PM, donquixote said:

I bought my GAK vinyl @ Sister Ray, at the time I was pissed there were out of the CD, lol

9 hours ago, IDEM said:

Mine were dispatched 5 days ago, should arrive any minute now. I got the Aphex and BOC seshs plus the box set for a friend.

Lol, after posting this last night, I actually dreamed that the package got lost. Good thing there's no such thing as prophetic dreams -- or is there? ?‍♂️ I'll keep you, er, posted ...

12 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I bought my GAK vinyl @ Sister Ray, at the time I was pissed there were out of the CD, lol

great shop. used to love the catalog they did. it was like a big kays catalog lingerie section for music nerds. 

My copy just arrived.  There's some weird noise bursts on the left channel of Pancake Lizard at around 2:20 and 2:35.  I checked my digitals after playing the vinyl, and it's there too.  Oddly enough, the copy on Donkey Rhubarb seems clean.  I'm guessing the copy submitted to Peel back in the day was a slightly different copy?

6 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

My copy just arrived.  There's some weird noise bursts on the left channel of Pancake Lizard at around 2:20 and 2:35.  I checked my digitals after playing the vinyl, and it's there too.  Oddly enough, the copy on Donkey Rhubarb seems clean.  I'm guessing the copy submitted to Peel back in the day was a slightly different copy?

Weird noise on Apple music too. Need to find my original pirate tape copy and see if it is on that. Still not bought my copy as I wanna buy it in the Phex store. Such a great peel session, makes me happy to hear it again, peak aphex for me this period is. Such a ledgend. 

I'm imagining one of the first times I would have listened would have been on my paper round the morning after broadcast. Guess it would have cheered up that misserable job.

Archived