IGNORED

Aphex Peel Session Vinyl Released

donquixote

8 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

My copy just arrived.  There's some weird noise bursts on the left channel of Pancake Lizard at around 2:20 and 2:35.  I checked my digitals after playing the vinyl, and it's there too.  Oddly enough, the copy on Donkey Rhubarb seems clean.  I'm guessing the copy submitted to Peel back in the day was a slightly different copy?

they sound like DAT glitches...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/15/2019 at 11:11 AM, Dragon said:
On 11/15/2019 at 2:58 AM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

My copy just arrived.  There's some weird noise bursts on the left channel of Pancake Lizard at around 2:20 and 2:35.  I checked my digitals after playing the vinyl, and it's there too.  Oddly enough, the copy on Donkey Rhubarb seems clean.  I'm guessing the copy submitted to Peel back in the day was a slightly different copy?

they sound like DAT glitches...

My original, "ripped from the radio" - files that have been floating around for ages, have the same glitches at the same place. So afaik, for the sake of authenticity, it's the same Pancake Lizard from Peel Sessions and not any cleaner recycled bit from donkey rhubarb.

I don't know what to do with this. Slo Bird Whistle from the dump was in decent enough quality for me and I purchased the P-Sting from the Kraviz comp when it came out. And based on the bleep previews, Pancake Lizard doesn't even have the spoken part at the end, so basically it's just a dat glitched version of the original version. The flac/mp3 radio/tape rips of the original Peel sessions have their own feel to them and now that I'm thinking about it, they've actually seen surprisingly much of regular play. So maybe I'll just stick with those :unsure:

I listened to this via Apple Music this weekend, and I must say, the mastering job done on these (especially remembering back to my 64kbps MP3s created from a cassette recording) is really good. Slo Bird Whistle and P-String are worth the price of admission alone.

A nice little bonus release, a little redundant maybe by the fact that 2/4 tracks have already seen official release but overall I'm glad to have the other 2 in HQ finally. Always loved Slo Bird Whistle and its goofy mellow vibes. Used to think it was a squeaky wheel being sampled... And P-String comes from a long line of doom techno (Icct, Supremacy ii etc) and probably one of the last examples of it.

love slo bird whistle

On 11/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, Joyrex said:

I listened to this via Apple Music this weekend, and I must say, the mastering job done on these (especially remembering back to my 64kbps MP3s created from a cassette recording) is really good. Slo Bird Whistle and P-String are worth the price of admission alone.

64 kbps lol

1 hour ago, very honest said:

i remember when there we had to mail waveforms to each-other

Prior to MP3s, I remember mailing someone an Aphex Twin RDJ album promo mask for a dubbed tape collection of the universal indicator series. Looking back, that person got the better end of the deal. 

I haven’t listened to this for years until this morning via Spotify. It’s a damn cool set of tunes. All totally different styles from the Aphex palette. I’ll be buying the vinyl for sure.

A treat for the ears!

15 minutes ago, beer badger said:

I haven’t listened to this for years until this morning via Spotify. It’s a damn cool set of tunes. All totally different styles from the Aphex palette. I’ll be buying the vinyl for sure.

A treat for the ears!

There ain't a bad track in there. Also slo bird is part of the AFX analog bird bath series with Cuckoo, Anastasia, The Seefeel remixs, the London vinyl track and I'm sure there's others. The bird bath series is the best. 

(Still waiting for my vinyl to arrive. Standard Bleep)

Slo Bird is a genuinely lovely track.  It's got a really summer vibe for me.  I think I heard this(and a bunch of other stuff) for the first time on that old 'Selected AFX Loops' page on Hyperreal.   Amazingly, that page is still up:

http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/afx/

I went to the public library and recorded each loop I didn't have onto a tape and listened to them on repeat for a long time.  I think this was just a bit before I discovered mp3s in college.  I also used to trade mp3 CDs on rec.music.ambient before broadband was a thing.  

On 11/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, donquixote said:

There ain't a bad track in there. Also slo bird is part of the AFX analog bird bath series with Cuckoo, Anastasia, The Seefeel remixs, the London vinyl track and I'm sure there's others. The bird bath series is the best. 

(Still waiting for my vinyl to arrive. Standard Bleep)

Didgeridoo. Another Birdbath classic.

16 minutes ago, hijexx said:

So I listened to this on Spotify and there are glitches in Pancake Lizard. Is that intentional? It sounds terrible. Doesn't happen on the Donkey Rhubarb EP.

See above. True to the original broadcast. 90s retro charm

Archived