IGNORED

Warp30 box set announced

thumbass

24 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

The apparently went their separate ways after For Beginner Piano was released on WARP, and the only one (apparently) still making music is Mike Johnston: https://www.discogs.com/artist/1090680-Mike-in-Mono

"Mark Cancellara is currently a magician's assistant"

that says it all

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My heart really wants the whole box set, but my brain knows I'll only actively listen to half of it.

I feel it could've been so much better. The Squarepusher WXAXRXP material is nowhere to be seen. They pressed the weaker of the two Bibio WXAXRXP sets (imo), same deal with OPN, the Roundhouse show sounded better than this radio session they're rolling with.

I'd like to think they're keeping the good stuff back for something else but who knows with Warp these days. 

Considering that Warp seem to like really long, protracted hype trains to announce releases these days (average of about 4-6 weeks), and that in 6 weeks time it's basically Christmas, I'm sceptical of there being anything else released this year.

There might be a gig? Possibly?

I'm not gonna spoil myself with any artists yet but man I heard Elide months ago and man its a grower track now. Feels like a classic early 90s Plaid track but with a late 90s Plaid twist here and there. This whole comp will be a fun listen in a week. I'm hoping a little bit more comes from Warp30. It's been cool still but feels a bit barren compared to Warp 10/20. Like I said on the other Warp30 topic, would LOVE another Unheard/Recreated comp. Or remixes.

RA reviews can be a bit iffy but this one of the boxset is almost is twisting my arm (which I guess is mission accomplished by the journalist) .

At the very least its made me realize I've been a bit negative and grumpy towards this boxset, I also think the artwork is tip-top, which also almost everybody on here seems to hate. 

I promise to revaluate my attitude towards this endeavour! Pronto. 

https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/24415

28 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

saw this posted on fb... "something else"??? :fear:

75593819_946519109039619_866782090763016

saw that too.. clearly a deliberate tease.  if i had to guess (could be totally wrong..) i'd say another physical release of some of the other warp30 material that was already played on nts.  best case scenario= autechre warp tapes, or squarepusher nts material?

made me chuckle the other day

for years and years I've read countless times about how most BOC fans want a HQ rip of XYZ, blah blah

as soon as their prayers are answered, I start reading comments like Oh yeah I don't really like this it doesn't sound right without hearing Mike and Marcus talking to John Peel

Hahah fucking what??!! lol

It must seem a thankless task working for Warp if you read some comments. Don't worry, The BeerwolfBadger loves you.

XX

hot take: XYZ I enjoy, but for some reason it doesn't click with me a lot like I want it to. It's my least favorite of the Peel Session even though the other tracks are different versions of MHTRTC tracks. 6/10 track so I still replay it since it has some nice aspects to it. ? I'm just happy it came out officially. Maybe it sounds more majestic in the uncut Peel Session with their voices in it.

1 hour ago, beer badger said:

made me chuckle the other day

for years and years I've read countless times about how most BOC fans want a HQ rip of XYZ, blah blah

as soon as their prayers are answered, I start reading comments like Oh yeah I don't really like this it doesn't sound right without hearing Mike and Marcus talking to John Peel

Hahah fucking what??!! lol

It must seem a thankless task working for Warp if you read some comments. Don't worry, The BeerwolfBadger loves you.

XX

I know right?! It's fucking annoying to see the same people who wanted an hd version of xyz whine about the fact that it doesn't have the brothers and peels voices in it. It's not part of the song so it wouldn't make sense for them to include it.

^ don't forget the butthurt that ensued when the stereo channels were switched on the Hi Scores re-release!   :psyduck:  As if Marcus through the left channel or GTFO

On the other end of the spectrum :emotawesomepm9: you have folks that'll take the Ae NTS Sessions, use software to emulate pitching them down from 45 to 33, and listen to them that way.

To quote Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer: "Your world frightens and confuses me."

I totally wasn't going to pick this box set up but having just read the description in the email I've just got from Warp I clicked 'buy' immediately:

Comes in a hinged lid box covered and lined in 150gsm Magno Gloss printed 5 colour offset and finished with a gloss lamination and special spot varnishes.

A hinged lid box ?! This changes everything - box sets have just been handed a new set of parameters !

Archived