IGNORED

gladiator

KovalainenFanBoy

I have known ever since day one of joining watmm, this film is universally hated within these quarters.

I really enjoyed it the first time I watched it. So I don't quite understand the cult hate of it, here in the murky waters of an IDM community.

Unlike music, I'm zero film snob, as I don't judge people to harshly on what their favourite films are, (unless you say Apocalypse Now! or Space Odyssey is shit, then you a major mofo cuntface)

I mean it's Gladiator, what is the big deal? Why care so much?

• 4 weeks later...

jokerin phoenix was kinda creepy in that movie, i remember a creepy scene where it seemed like his character wanted to bang his sister... he did good job of making you hate him as the villain

Had this conversation about peoples favorite movies a while ago. And this guy said gladiator was his fav without blinking his eyes. I could only reply with a half laughing half surprised "really!?". He took that as a bit of an insult. As he couldn't be more sincere. I was honestly surprised though. Out of all movies. Gladiator? Why? Can't remember the rest of the conversation exactly. Was probably actually asking why. In my memory it had something to do with that "arent you entertained" line. Which in my mind translated into that guy loving the movie because he could identify himself with the main character. So, he might look at himself as some gladiator while going through his daily life. Can't help to still chuckle. You'd almost think people live out their personal hollywood movie on a day to day basis.

In the end, I guess he just loved those historic action movies. Still not clear why Gladiator is better than other similar movies though. But hey, who cares. Not gonna pretend that the movies I enjoy are any better. It's just a silly conversation to begin with. My takeaway: be ware of being a dick. But dont be too bothered about it either. ?

The beginning bit was pretty good. Wasn't very entertained by the rest of it. The last time I saw it was like 15 years ago.

I wouldn't be that surprised if someone told me Gladiator was their favourite. Out in the wild it happens a lot among normies. No less surprising than something like LOTR really, you'd have to live under a rock to find that surprising. I mean sure, it reads as uncool (especially reasoning such as that described), but it is one of those popular movies that crossed language barriers and became a loved hit internationally, which a lot of people have seen countless times.

Some of the action direction haven't aged too well. Like The Martian or Black Hawk Down, it is Scott in crowdpleaser mode moreso than auteur, but still a decent movie. I saw it in cinemas and enjoyed it a lot as a teen.

It's called Gladiator. From that word alone, any cunt can gleam it isn't gonna push too many philosophical boundaries.

Pro's - the opening row with the Germanic tribes is like Millwall circa 50AD & they could've copyrighted that "HULU" chant too & earned a few quid, Oliver Read & his fugazi giraffes ffs & the timeless glory that is MCCULLOCH

spacer.png

Cons - every Roman stereotype ever at every level, history of genocide conveniently swept aside, you can't go round handling barley or wheat any more without some cunt yelling "shadows n dust" at you (Theresa May found that out the hard way) & none of the set designs wobble like in I Claudius

Bunch of petite bourgeoisie savages up in here, hardly Ridley Scott's worst work

If I was forced to sodomize, like at gunpoint or something, a hollywood actor as a historical(ish) figure, it would be between Crowe as Maximus or Gibson as William Wallace.

Go on, have a wank on me.

Edit: not 'on me', just on me, like help yourself to a wank.  

Archived