IGNORED

Anyone making breakcore/drum n bass/jungle?

TheBro

10 hours ago, ArtificialDisco said:

I put the drums up by 6dB. Also did a lowpass, but I'm not even sure if that matters. It definitely sounds more exciting, and the arrangement is still clear, i.e. the drums don't seem to get in the way of anything.

Banging!!! My only thoughts is the bass could have bit more sub weight but its sounds pretty decent though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBro said:

Banging!!! My only thoughts is the bass could have bit more sub weight but its sounds pretty decent though. 

Thanks a lot! That's also a good suggestion, I might take a look at that bass. I'm using a Moog bass that has a nice sounding growl to it, whereas I guess most of the original drum'n'bass guys where using 808's or some more sine sounds basses, with that super low BWOOOM. But of course there are plugins that can help beef it up. ?

I feel like I've been hogging this thread a bit now, so if I do any more changes I'll just silently update my soundcloud.

• Like 1

I love this shit, great thread. Anyone care to share their techniques for drill? Do you tend to chop up audio loops and hand layer them, or midi trigger samples? Any tips and tricks for aspirants? 

20 hours ago, T3551ER said:

I love this shit, great thread. Anyone care to share their techniques for drill? Do you tend to chop up audio loops and hand layer them, or midi trigger samples? Any tips and tricks for aspirants? 

I used to program everything in in Cubase ... longwinded but fun lol.

• Like 1

I produced mine on an MPC1000. Just took an amen break and chopped it into 16 pieces and then tried to bang away on the pads to make something nice. The whole track is just one 168 bar sequence on the MPC. The drills in the middle were copy-pasted events, forming 32th notes. It took a long time to do and there really must be a faster way to make those.

I got the amen break from here: https://rhythm-lab.com/amen_breaks/

There are quite a few good drum loops there if you want to go chopping. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2021 at 12:05 PM, TheBro said:

I used to program everything in in Cubase ... longwinded but fun lol.

On 3/13/2021 at 10:39 AM, ArtificialDisco said:

I produced mine on an MPC1000. Just took an amen break and chopped it into 16 pieces and then tried to bang away on the pads to make something nice. The whole track is just one 168 bar sequence on the MPC. The drills in the middle were copy-pasted events, forming 32th notes. It took a long time to do and there really must be a faster way to make those.

I got the amen break from here: https://rhythm-lab.com/amen_breaks/

There are quite a few good drum loops there if you want to go chopping. 

Cheers to both. @TheBroman, Cubase, that takes me back. Sometimes I think the meticulousness of laying down stuff like this can be it's own reward. @ArtificialDiscoLove this track. Is that you playing the sax? Sounds lush AF. Again, something I think you gain from laying down things with careful intent. Anyway, sounds great!

Here's my contribution to this thread. Would skip to around 1:30 and then to 4:20 for the drill-ish parts. Final version of track drum programming is a bit better but you get the general idea. ..

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 1:22 PM, T3551ER said:

Cheers to both. @TheBroman, Cubase, that takes me back. Sometimes I think the meticulousness of laying down stuff like this can be it's own reward. @ArtificialDiscoLove this track. Is that you playing the sax? Sounds lush AF. Again, something I think you gain from laying down things with careful intent. Anyway, sounds great!

Here's my contribution to this thread. Would skip to around 1:30 and then to 4:20 for the drill-ish parts. Final version of track drum programming is a bit better but you get the general idea. ..

Sounds great! 

And yeah, that's me playing the trumpet.