IGNORED

The Tuss

T3551ER

lol holy WTF how did I miss out on this for so many years? Recently grabbed the tracks from the bleepstore. . . Jesus this is so friggin good. You can hear shades of Analord, Drukqs, CTD and also things that link to Syro (some of the funkier FM bass stuff) and maybe even some stuff on Collapse. Redonkulous. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T3551ER said:

and also things that link to Syro (some of the funkier FM bass stuff) and maybe even some stuff on Collapse

is almost like he hasn't tried new things since

still, quite good

• Haha 1
  • Burger 1

@StickfiggerWhen Rushup Bank 12 came out I was staunchly in the "def Aphex" category and played it to death, but (for whatever reason) wasn't as compelled to listen to the rest  . . . sort of a loss at the time but a gain now 'cause of all the extra tracks and whatnot. Did a bunch of mindless database work today and had it on repeat. . . killer

?

I don’t like it! I know I’m not the only one either!

Strange but true, I can see why most Aphex fans go nuts over this. Somehow it leaves me little cold. I really wish I could love it as much as some of you do. Maybe one day.

?

1 hour ago, beer badger said:

?

I don’t like it! I know I’m not the only one either!

Strange but true, I can see why most Aphex fans go nuts over this. Somehow it leaves me little cold. I really wish I could love it as much as some of you do. Maybe one day.

?

Does this include the bonus tracks, what if you start from track 6 on the Phex site?  ( I know 6 ain't a bonus, just got mad love for that. I'm more into it from there on) 

https://aphextwin.warp.net/release/86013-the-tuss-rushup-edge-

Edited by donquixote

7 hours ago, phudoshin said:

First noticed Tuss tracks at Torino 2005... not released till 2 years later. Classic Aphex .. test live, release under-the-radar banging tunes

Back in the days where we were desperate for new Aphex, and the mystery had us even more on the edge. I remember that, sometime your ears don't lie

I remember when that Shallow Rewards guy said he didn't like The Tuss I was like "you fuckin piece of shit you went on a fuckin pilgrimage to Cornwall and you don't even like The Tuss you fuckin poser" and he cried and I felt awesome

but yeah, it's like a transition between Analord and Syro/Collapse stuff and really awesome in its own right.

It's great but I don't like it as much as most of you guys. Still butt hurt about never picking up rushup on vinyl when i had the chance ?

Edited by yekker

I think Candiru probably nailed it - seems like a very transitional album . . .like he's trying out a bunch of different things to see how they feel. Can totally see why it wouldn't be a favorite/not for everyone. 

For me, I've recently been taking an audio course in analyzing western classical music - it's been fascinating to apply that learning to Aphex's stuff, and this album kind of came along at a good time b/c it features a lot of techniques I'm learning about, so been an interesting case study.

Also, the fucking drum programming tight AF. Got dat tracker hyperfocus feel to it. lovely

5 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

I think Candiru probably nailed it - seems like a very transitional album . . .like he's trying out a bunch of different things to see how they feel. Can totally see why it wouldn't be a favorite/not for everyone. 

For me, I've recently been taking an audio course in analyzing western classical music - it's been fascinating to apply that learning to Aphex's stuff, and this album kind of came along at a good time b/c it features a lot of techniques I'm learning about, so been an interesting case study.

Also, the fucking drum programming tight AF. Got dat tracker hyperfocus feel to it. lovely

have you written anything on this? love to read your analysis. love this stuff. 

37 minutes ago, donquixote said:

have you written anything on this? love to read your analysis. love this stuff. 

Ahhh, not as yet (though this is actually a great idea). It's a "go your own pace" course that I'm squeezing in between full time work + new baby + MBA so... yeah, limited time but when I get a bit farther I'll write something up (would be a good exercise). Just getting into the baroque era which is where, it seems, you start to see a lot of techniques typically associated with "classical" music really being developed (polyphony that is also structured so it seems (personal opinion) cohesive, motives/subjects being developed, pedal points, etc.). 

Word of the day: melisma - basically singing tones along one syllable of a word in an extended fashion. When this was introduced in the lessons (believe it was around the era of gregorian chant and then ars nova) I was like, holy shit, it's that thing from from 90/2000's RNB where a singer would just, like, take 15 minutes to sing the national anthem going ohhh sayyyAhhhuhhayyyaaahhhhhhhhhhahhahahah. 

Melisma: Annoying the shit out of audiences since 900CE

• Like 2