IGNORED

The Tuss

T3551ER

@hijexxlol, sure, why not? I think the term can be expressed in lots of different ways (and across lots of dif genres). I looked back, the one that stuck out to me was  indicative of the ars antiqua movement (not ars nova, apologies) it was more stuff like this:

Which is reminiscent of this (prepare to gouge your ears out)

I’m on holiday in Oz. I kill a bit of time while waiting for a train and post just a simple, honest opinion on The Tuss and I got some grumpy fucker back home giving me hard time about it! 

Just like he was giving everyone at the printerworks gig a big fucking grumpy opinion.

Fuck off YOU Grumpy Cunt!

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 1

I feel like The Tuss was an extension of the style afx developed for analord 10.

It was such a refreshing style for Richard at the time, it seemed like nobody had ever heard anything like it before (what a tease for richard to release analord 10 and then slowly release analords, none of which sounded anything like analord 10). A totally new direction. Way different than CTD, or drukqs, or windowlicker, or RDJ. Different than everything he or anyone else had ever done really.

Especially in how it is mixed, I feel like this is where richard got completely vintage-synth-nerd mixing desk technique crazy, it just oozes mixing perfection. Beautiful use of reverb, panning, eq, fade-ins and fade-outs galore all used to glue together  tracks featuring analog and digital synths, recorded claps and other percussion, drum machines, classic breaks, organ leslie speakers, tape delay, real and digital room reverb, spring verb, so many different reverbs! The Tuss took this entire approach and ran with it. If he didn't multitrack this and recorded it like the other analords (into a minidisc recorder) then I'm doubly impressed. Considering the other "takes" we've heard (fenix funk and synthacon 1) sound like they were recorded live I almost believe they weren't multitracked, but who knows they probably were, the fades are too smooth for me to believe it.

The last remnants of the tuss-era sound came in the form of xmas-eve track, minipops and some other tracks on syro and bits of orphaned deejay selek. I think soundlab20 has a bit of the tuss feel too but nothing sounds quite like the tuss IMO. What a great couple of records.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

I feel like The Tuss was an extension of the style afx developed for analord 10.

It was such a refreshing style for Richard at the time, it seemed like nobody had ever heard anything like it before (what a tease for richard to release analord 10 and then slowly release analords, none of which sounded anything like analord 10). A totally new direction. Way different than CTD, or drukqs, or windowlicker, or RDJ. Different than everything he or anyone else had ever done really.

Especially in how it is mixed, I feel like this is where richard got completely vintage-synth-nerd mixing desk technique crazy, it just oozes mixing perfection. Beautiful use of reverb, panning, eq, fade-ins and fade-outs galore all used to glue together  tracks featuring analog and digital synths, recorded claps and other percussion, drum machines, classic breaks, organ leslie speakers, tape delay, real and digital room reverb, spring verb, so many different reverbs! The Tuss took this entire approach and ran with it. If he didn't multitrack this and recorded it like the other analords (into a minidisc recorder) then I'm doubly impressed. Considering the other "takes" we've heard (fenix funk and synthacon 1) sound like they were recorded live I almost believe they weren't multitracked, but who knows they probably were, the fades are too smooth for me to believe it.

The last remnants of the tuss-era sound came in the form of xmas-eve track, minipops and some other tracks on syro and bits of orphaned deejay selek. I think soundlab20 has a bit of the tuss feel too but nothing sounds quite like the tuss IMO. What a great couple of records.

totally agree with this

For a while, Analord/The Tuss was my favorite era of Aphex. Maybe it still is. I'm always surprised to see other Aphex fans write it off. I think Syro is definitely one of his best full albums. The second half of Syro, along with Collapse EP especially rips, and I see it as an evolution from his Analord/Tuss sound. 

• Like 3

Let's be honest they are pretty much all great records from Rich from digeridoo up. Thing I love about aphex is he's created a universe of music for whatever mood your in. Can't think of any other artist who's managed this to such an extent. 

• 9 months later...

Late to the party and just discovered the Hymns Tuss compilation that I take is the Myspace stuff from years ago.

A lot of the track titles are old Shamen records, does anybody know why?  

New member so appologies if this has been discussed ,did a search but didnt't find anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joetgmt said:

Late to the party and just discovered the Hymns Tuss compilation that I take is the Myspace stuff from years ago.

A lot of the track titles are old Shamen records, does anybody know why?  

New member so appologies if this has been discussed ,did a search but didnt't find anything.

Welcome

Ive never heard of that compilation.. I remember there being multiple tuss/tregaskin myspace pages, and I assumed they were mostly fakes (it was the era when fans would fake 'leak' aphex/autechre albums..)  Maybe someone else can fill in with more detail on what is what..

Edited by markedone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2