IGNORED

elektron monomachine - synthesised clap

antiochus

i've spent a while trying to get an 808 style clap out of the monomachine, with both the SID machine and noise machine. does anyone have any tips on how to synthesise a clap with the monomachine?

In that 808 documentary, Kakehashi claimed that the 808 clap was achieved by using defective transistors he originally used because he could get them cheap from the manufacturer. Eventually transistor quality control got better and he couldn't source them anymore, but the clap c

ii heheh hircuihircuihircuhircuhirchirchirhirhih circuitcircuitcircuicircuicircucircucirccirci

Sorry that's what happens when I try to post from my phone since the board was updated. TL;DR allegedly even the 808 clap circuit itself won't sound like an 808 clap without using unsourcable defective transistors for the noise generator.

http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_tipsandtricks.htm

Analog Snare:

I was trying to get some equivalents of analog snares but using more digital texture to get something like the synthetic drums in some early digital home organs, like casio VL-1, SK-1 and the like

So I use the classic model of a short tuned spike attack followed by a noise burst with longer decay

If you use an exponential decayed LFO in on-shot mode to modulate the wave of the SID you get a sound that could go from the triangle wave to the noise one very quickly, so this makes a really close approximation of the model I described...
Try move the speed and depth of the LFO to get more "membrane" or more "snare"...you can further process them with both filters to make a more restricted band of noise

- Anselmi

or snare-ish things you can use 2 waves and interpolate between them with a one-shot (1-cycle-only) LFO wave 1 is the membrane timbre, the pad, you have to use some "tuned" waveform: sine (classic), triangle, square (distorted) o other...as well as you increase the harmonic content your snare became more "tuned" as the note is more perceptible ...something inharmonic could give you a more "metallic" flavor

wave 2 is the "snare" part, so it well represented by a noise waveform...tri different noises: white, pink, brown, quantized, rattling (series of short impulses), etc

then use filtering to make a noise band and apply some resonance...and of course a percussive amp envelope...also sweeping the filters a little could make it more animated...

using both the amp e.g. and the LFO, or the retrigger function for the attack you can turn your snare into a clap sound...just add more resonance to the filters or boost a region within the EQ to emule the resonance in the "cavity" created by joining both hands leaving air in between

also some controlled reverb (even short delay) could help both types of sounds to get some "space"

se robert henke...lots of enveloping going on..

Honestly, I still think just about the best educational tool for learning drum synthesis is good old Stomper.

There's a lot of stuff it can do that you won't be able to replicate on the monomachine, but if you stick with the features they have in common the visual feedback between what you're doing and the sounds you get is still fantastic.

Maybe I'm still just a Windows 95 kid at heart but the interface has always been really fun and intuitive for me, I wish native hardware support for its files had gotten traction beyond a couple of Ensoniq workstations.

Archived