Lone - Not Seeing Is A Flower EP

lyst

a0075329815_10.jpg

LONE
NOT SEEING IS A FLOWER EP
Label: Ancient Astronauts
Cat: astro04

LONE - NOT SEEING IS A FLOWER EP REACHES BEYOND REALITY

Lone continues to thrive on his newly established label, Ancient Astronauts, with its second physical release of the year, the ‘Not Seeing Is a Flower’.

Steering towards a new studio album from the Nottingham-based producer, the three-track EP takes its name from a Japanese idiom (見ぬが花), which suggests that reality cannot compete with imagination. Lapping at varied shades of the psyche, ‘Glyphic’ kicks things off with a heavyweight tribal techno cut inspired by Cutler’s experiences at Bass Coast festival this summer, fusing 303 acid with sweltering piano lines and otherworldly vocals for a transcendental dancefloor experience. The senses are heightened with title-track ‘Not Seeing Is A Flower’, which reaches beyond reality with slowly spoken samples effortlessly melting into a lush ambient techno backdrop reminiscent of early work from The Future Sound Of London, Orbital, and The Black Dog. Finally, ‘Boketto’ sees Lone embrace the same tone of downtempo trip-hop detailed on his albums ‘Lemurian’ and ‘Reality Testing’ with rolling percussion and meditative chimes drawing close on some of the producer’s most lavish work to date.

Tracklisting:

A1 - Glyphic
B1 - Not Seeing Is A Flower
B2 - Boketto 

credits

releases November 8, 2019

Liking this Glyphic track.  Nice long journey.  I hope Lone never stops making music.

• 2 weeks later...

Lone is very good. I like Lone. His music is enjoyable. It is fun.

Actuality, in all seriousness, the lackadaisical melodies and carefree moods are when Lone is at his absolute best.

I second the sentiment about continuing music, for as long as you can, Mr. Mark Cutlery

8 hours ago, BoomTssPhace said:

Title track is best, i will never not love Matt, even at his most redundant

Funny how this goes--he definitely has one of the most singular voices out there; can pick a Lone track out a mile away. I previewed Andy Stott's new EP today and was just like "heard it before, sounds like all the others, don't really need it". Even though the exact criteria applies to Lone, I can't seem to get enough. 

I feel the same way about Lone that I do about games like Celeste (Which I also absolutely adore). They both take familiar and comforting styles and recontextualize them for a modern audience in an incredibly masterful way. In both cases, on a surface level it appears to be from the 90's - the style matches very closely, but there's a certain level of polish and refinement that could only come from a genuine love and encyclopedic knowledge of the source material. It elevates the original ideas into something that would've been impossible at the time of their inception. In short, Lone clearly loves exactly the same sounds and textures from the 90's that I do, and is a master of squeezing every last bit of delicious juice out of them. I hope he never stops making music.

6 hours ago, dr lopez said:

thats why its cool, to me

How does that make it cool in any way. All it does is make it look unprofessional. (Not saying the music is bad btw, I quite like Lone)

Archived