Sign in to follow this  
kieselguhr kid

OVAL - Scis LP / Eksploio EP

thrill jockey just announced two new OVAL releases (EP in november, full-length in 2020). here's what they write about it; sadly no preview samples yet though. I'm cautiously excited about this; early oval up to process/commers is still some of my all-time favourite music, which made his last few releases just the more dissappointing (and i'm not even talking about popp's new career path as a self-help guru / 'creativity coach'....:facepalm:). a return to form would be much appreciated.

I'm really excited for this! I didnt particularly care for O or Voa, but Popp blew me away. Played loud it's an incredibly immersive set of tracks. Every time I put it on I notice new details and hidden layers. Cautiously optimistic that he expands on that sound and doesn't return to the sleepy electro-acoustic stuff.

Popp is an incredible record, always curious and interested in where Markus goes next - even when his records seem like slight missteps, you can never fault him for trying new things out.

7 hours ago, Mellow U said:

Popp is an incredible record, always curious and interested in where Markus goes next - even when his records seem like slight missteps, you can never fault him for trying new things out.

not saying that popp is a bad album, it just basically sounds like sth that could have been released 15 years ago

I disagree. But no one is going to look at a Pollock and see the same things either, so I think that's somewhat by design. 

Looks like if you order from Thrill Jockey's site before Nov 8 you get the accompanying EP as a free download.

https://thrilljockey.com/products/scis

Edited by andrd
forgot link
  • Like 1

Sounds suitably wacky. Bought.

• Like 1