IGNORED

Nina Kraviz has been CANCELLED

sheatheman

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.theredhandfiles.com/why-do-you-write/

".....

So, for me, Stella, living in a state of enquiry, neutrality and uncertainty, beyond dogma and grand conviction, is good for the business of songwriting, and for my life in general. This is the reason I tend to become uncomfortable around all ideologies that brand themselves as ‘the truth’ or ‘the way’. This not only includes most religions, but also atheism, radical bi-partisan politics or any system of thought, including ‘woke’ culture, that finds its energy in self-righteous belief and the suppression of contrary systems of thought. Regardless of the virtuous intentions of many woke issues, it is its lack of humility and the paternalistic and doctrinal sureness of its claims that repel me.

Antifa and the Far Right, for example, with their routine street fights, role-playing and dress-ups are participants in a weirdly erotic, violent and mutually self-sustaining marriage, propped up entirely by the blind, inflexible convictions of each other’s belief systems. It is good for nothing, except inflaming their own self-righteousness. The New Atheists and their devout opponents are engaged in the same dynamic. Wokeness, for all its virtues, is an ideology immune to the slightest suggestion that in a generation’s time their implacable beliefs will appear as outmoded and fallacious as those of their own former generation. This may well be the engine of progress, but history has a habit of embarrassing our treasured beliefs. Some of us, for example, are of the generation that believed that free speech was a clear-cut and uncontested virtue, yet within a generation this concept is seen by many as a dog-whistle to the Far Right, and is rapidly being consigned to the Left’s ever-expanding ideological junk pile.

This is not to suggest we should not have our convictions or, indeed, that we should not be angry with the state of the world, or that we should not fight in order to correct the injustices committed against it. Conviction and anger can be the most powerful expressions of universal love. However, my duty as a songwriter is not to try to save the world, but rather to save the soul of the world. This requires me to live my life on the other side of truth, beyond conviction and within uncertainty, where things make less sense, absurdity is a virtue and art rages and burns; where dogma is anathema, discourse is essential, doubt is an energy, magical thinking is not a crime and where possibility and potentiality rule. The answers to the secrets of the heart may just be there, in the inscrutable dark of the forest, in the unfathomable depths of the sea, at the uncertain tips of our fingers.

Love, Nick

hysteria. oof.  here's people here in portland who cut off their dreds after years, decades even because of the "cultural appropriation" pc stuff. i have no dog in this fight. but did remark to someone about pirates and sailors and stuff w/dreads. 

there's a homeless guy i've seen around who has one fat matted dread like a duck bill on the back of his head. he's white. i hope someone tells him he should cut his hair. 

anyway.. wtf. outrage culture is bullshit and people need to count to ten and go for a walk and think on shit. 

electronic music got largely ruined by cancel culture in 2016.

i despise the methodology by which people on twitter hitch their wagon to issues like these, try to get to the spotlight of all who are heaping criticism on the person at the center, and thus gain a lot of publicity for it.

it's very strategic, the way certain people do it. they get applause and respect for bringing the other person down.

honestly always thought kraviz was cringe from boiler room sets, but that was the iconoclast in me hating popular people. this to me is one of the most unfair cancels so far...

funny thing is, one of the most shared tweets about it was written by someone who lives in my city. most of her twitter feed is her talking about how hard her work schedule is, what a bad month she has had. she has a recent one where she ranks the month of this year in how bad they were. not writing this to attack her at all, but she is clearly unhappy with her place within this brutal capitalist economy, and my theory is a lot of the cancel culture flows out of people who are justly very unhappy about what a struggle survival is, then see something like kraviz with cornrows, and see at least one wrong they can right.

it's a bunch of people who are struggling to pay rent, don't have time/energy/funds to do meaningful things, spend what time they do have consuming nihilistic clickbait or abyss scrolling their feeds, basically view the world through this little lens of their phone/computer, and the most they can muster to make the world a better place is make sometimes misplaced accusations against the behavior of celebrities.

its a symptom of a very real problem.

that's a load of bulshit tbqh. people have had it far worse in the past (virtually all of the past), and they weren't as obsessed with such inconsequential narcissistic bullshit as many people are today. 

13 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

Reveal hidden contents

funny thing is, one of the most shared tweets about it was written by someone who lives in my city. most of her twitter feed is her talking about how hard her work schedule is, what a bad month she has had. she has a recent one where she ranks the month of this year in how bad they were. not writing this to attack her at all, but she is clearly unhappy with her place within this brutal capitalist economy, and my theory is a lot of the cancel culture flows out of people who are justly very unhappy about what a struggle survival is, then see something like kraviz with cornrows, and see at least one wrong they can right.

it's a bunch of people who are struggling to pay rent, don't have time/energy/funds to do meaningful things, spend what time they do have consuming nihilistic clickbait or abyss scrolling their feeds, basically view the world through this little lens of their phone/computer, and the most they can muster to make the world a better place is make sometimes misplaced accusations against the behavior of celebrities.

from my pov the clickbait circuit is taking advantage of what might otherwise be easily resolvable misunderstandings. but, the way that it's all arranged on social media/twitter,etc, people fucking come out the door SWINGING. so its hard for there to be any resolution. its more like Mad Max than it is like the bridge on Star Trek TNG there's just no grease on the wheels. the tension between folks just builds up until it reaches infinite density, black hole forms and swallows everything up and next day everyone forgot wtf happened. lol 

and tbh the discussion about cultural appropriate is worth having , i just dont think its worth having between, like, a super angry person and the oblivious person who pissed them off . you need a Data, a Picard, a Worf ( and bfic worf is irrational but wholesome, his logic is grounded), you need a Guinan, you cant have, like, "twitter consciousness" 

For sure the discussion is worth having. Traditionally “black” hair and hair styles are viewed in many workplaces as unprofessional, and black people get targeted by police based on it. I would never dispute that.

even many Americans didn’t understand the context before they read a buzzfeed article titles “13 white pop stars who had seriously NOT OKAY hairstyles in the 90s”

so I think it’s a 100% real thing, but it’s not one dimensional, and I feel like there are way too many people who wield cultural appropriation as a weapon and go looking for a fight.

1 hour ago, sheatheman said:

Reveal hidden contents

this, and also the retarded level of cultural hegemony american culture thinks is has (but still actually has) over the world. and yes that includes african american culture. where the italian word "ghetto" means a rough neighborhood where african americans live. exclusively. and of course no american on twitter is educated enough to grant any sort of nuance to that historical perspective. to them oppression begins and ends with slavery and the holocaust. but this is all a double-edged sword - it's obvious 21st century europeans have no idea of the racial dynamics of our country and constantly fuck it up in very embarrassing ways (for them) and yet in the age of twitter scolds i'm often left supporting the continentals as the behavior exhibited by american libs -- who are the most fascist policePEOPLE of ANY sort of cultural product their idiotic minds don't find to be *correct*-- makes me want to do a stephen paddock at a lizzo show.

very disappointing as it means nina, my waifu, will probably never perform in america again. sad times.

"cultural hegemony"  so true.  american people on the internet forget that there's ya know.. entirely different countries where people live who have totally different cultural/social norms and stuff. 

The idea of a Russian being oblivious of the cultural significance of cornrows to Americans is hilarious though...

”what eez cornrow? Yis, een rahsha we have corn, no? And braid also. What eez problem?”

(this joke actually more racist than Nina kraviz having corn rows.)

7 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

The idea of a Russian being oblivious of the cultural significance of cornrows to Americans is hilarious though...

”what eez cornrow? Yis, een rahsha we have corn, no? And braid also. What eez problem?”

(this joke actually more racist than Nina kraviz having corn rows.)

what a country... 

lolwtf

Is anyone here not on Nina's side about this? (PS no idea who she is.)

With a few rare exceptions where I can see it's legit disrespectful, appropriation of any kind is almost entirely a sign that someone thinks whatever they're "appropriating" is cool/aesthetically pleasing, etc.  There'd be almost no evolution in music without cultural appropriation.  This shit is so ridiculous.  (Sorry, I know what I'm saying is pretty much redundant here.)

Archived