IGNORED

Nina Kraviz has been CANCELLED

sheatheman

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, kirm said:

Thats not true though is it? As well as the individual there is culture and society.. and society still has power structures built on the same systems of oppression both consciously and unconsciously.

Having said that total agree people can have whatever hair do they like and most calls of cultural appropriation are complete bullshit

Nina's response to the discwoman lass was pretty stupid though, but  in general the level of discourse on internet and twitter in particular is awful.. people love calling shit out as problematic for no reason

alright there is only the individual so much as to say in terms of putting white people who are alive today in the same camp as those who died hundred years ago is insane and should be ridiculed. white people today dont come under that "society" or "culture" by default

Yeah they do, they live in that culture and society and benefit from its power structures which still mostly benefit white males

4 minutes ago, Det Bluto said:

Can we isolate this into just a fashion perspective and agree that for whatever reason, white people look terrible with cornrows? 100% of the time. It never should even get to this point. 

Thought from a purely aesthetic point of view she rocked them tbf!

On 10/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, Drum Up said:

I recently learned about Bacon's Rebellion, which seems to be the colonial origin of this class divide that you describe. Quality info here. Toni Morrison's novel A Mercy is an excellent re-imagining of the historical roots of American racism. She died this year. RIP Toni!

Def read up on the Coal Wars as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Blair_Mountain

Screaming Into The Void: How Outrage Is Hijacking Our Culture, And Our Minds

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/04/767186846/screaming-into-the-void-how-outrage-is-hijacking-our-culture-and-our-minds

19 minutes ago, species8472 said:

omg so boring. i get it.. it's important but jesus fuck take a laxative

52 minutes ago, ignatius said:

Screaming Into The Void: How Outrage Is Hijacking Our Culture, And Our Minds

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/04/767186846/screaming-into-the-void-how-outrage-is-hijacking-our-culture-and-our-minds

omg so boring. i get it.. it's important but jesus fuck take a laxative

Signs off with a Star Wars quote 

Credibility in tatters 

34 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Signs off with a Star Wars quote 

Credibility in tatters 

here's another

https://arcdigital.media/how-contemporary-capitalism-drives-hysterical-wokeness-9fb206158aad

People call these movements collectivist but they are often anything but. A social media driven world — personalization, testimony, I, Me, My — is a perfect fit for the micropolitics of self. We call this “the left” but any political impulse that demands constant self-preoccupation is decidedly un-left. Sincere NeverTrump conservatives, frustrated liberals, and above all left-wingers themselves, all have a vested interest in resisting pan-Anglosphere micropolitical nit-picking, while recognizing it for what it is — bound up within the mutations, and the profit-seeking preoccupations, of contemporary markets.

4 hours ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Can't wait for The Black Madonna to weigh in like every other single faux-controversy.

Or phô controversy, like wearing a Napalm Death band tee in a Vietnamese restaurant. 

On 10/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, Brisbot said:

absolutely. This is the kinda thing that makes people erroneously flock to the right because they associate the left with these kinds of issues concerning PC culture and manufacturing outrage over trivial things.

ya. having gone through this thread i'm coming 'round on kraviz being just kinda naive about the issue, which again, makes me wish she hadn't come out so hot with IM NOT A WHITE EUROPEAN. but fine.

and from some of the comments on here, i tend to think these subtle controversies do actually do damage because they lead to the usual, honestly guys, i'm sorry, but just straight up dumb statements like "why can't i complain when black people straighten their hair" and "why should present day white people be responsible for historical wrongs." for the love of god get out of your bubble and read about why those don't stand up to any reading of recent recent history and culture: housing discrimination, targeted voter suppression, police brutality, the drug war, racial profiling, sentencing disparities, accumulated wealth disparities, public school funding, health disparities, etc etc. if you not from the US, fine. but if you are here, you have no excuse.

2 hours ago, cooliofranco said:

ya. having gone through this thread i'm coming 'round on kraviz being just kinda naive about the issue, which again, makes me wish she hadn't come out so hot with IM NOT A WHITE EUROPEAN. but fine.

and from some of the comments on here, i tend to think these subtle controversies do actually do damage because they lead to the usual, honestly guys, i'm sorry, but just straight up dumb statements like "why can't i complain when black people straighten their hair" and "why should present day white people be responsible for historical wrongs." for the love of god get out of your bubble and read about why those don't stand up to any reading of recent recent history and culture: housing discrimination, targeted voter suppression, police brutality, the drug war, racial profiling, sentencing disparities, accumulated wealth disparities, public school funding, health disparities, etc etc. if you not from the US, fine. but if you are here, you have no excuse.

lol imagine looking at some 25 year old white person alive in 2019 and thinking they had something to do with black slaves 200 years ago so u make a comment about their ancestors whom you haven't even heard of, not has the white person most likely

The whole episode has arguably caused more division - calling someone racist when they had no intent to be doesn't really help anyone. Rather than dogwhistle public shaming, perhaps lean towards educating people instead - not saying that's anyone's responsibility but you can't expect everyone to have a degree in sociology/politics/history.

Archived