IGNORED

Nina Kraviz has been CANCELLED

sheatheman

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cooliofranco said:

I'm generally sympathetic to woke culture arguments. And I don't have much sympathy for celebrities who cry foul when they get called out for tired racially insensitive BS. From what I can tell someone called out Kraviz for wearing dreads and calling it ghetto and she responded very aggressively, tried to lecture this person and suggested it was OK because she's not a white european. I mean, that set of actions betrays a pretty simple perspective and you know, maybe you should recognize that and be quiet and instead be like, "ok, let me give you some space to tell me why wearing dreads is problematic." Maybe I"m missing some finer details and Kraviz was more contrite.

Cancel cancel culture is so odd to me. the idea that cancel culture has any real resources and power just seems so out of whack. In the US, the money and political power is very much stacked on the other side. And, as others have observed, if like 80% of the comedy specials on the major content delivery service is cancel culture grievance nonsense, then cancel culture can't really be THAT oppressive.

My reading of the past 20-30 years of US politics is that the conservative movement has made and irreversibly established extraordinary political and cultural gains by staking flags far to the right, doing purity tests on reproductive rights, taxes, etc, etc. So if I were a politically and culturally left young person, I'd think making my opening gambit sorta extreme might actually be a pretty good way of achieving political and cultural outcomes i desire.

She called a track "ghetto kraviz" a few years ago. This is the only ghetto reference I believe she's ever made. It then got brought up because of her haircut I believe..She then pointed out that there were ghettos in nazi Germany.

....just putting that in for the sake of the thread. 

54 minutes ago, donquixote said:

She called a track "ghetto kraviz" a few years ago. This is the only ghetto reference I believe she's ever made. It then got brought up because of her haircut I believe..She then pointed out that there were ghettos in nazi Germany.

....just putting that in for the sake of the thread. 

ok yeah i was under the impression she attached that word to her dreads, so i was wrong about that. i suppose that makes it less dumb and maybe tips a little more towards over-reaction. i still would have preferred "ah shit, dreads isn't a good look for me. i hear that" vs what she said. but yeah, makes a bit of a difference.

2 hours ago, whosebrian said:

Kravitz done right.

image.png.c6db46890b15f09994605e59808b590c.png

went to see him open up for a band in the 90s and he cancelled because he burned his hand on a lamp and couldn't play.  technically shouldn't he have only half a head of corn rows? 

this can all be fixed w/a song btw.... for example

3 hours ago, user said:

Don't get this at all. Next logical step would be DJ's not being allowed to play records that were made by people that are from a different culture or belong to a different race than the person playing the record because of cultural appropriation.  

Wasn't there already a whole hubbub where people were criticizing AFX for playing other people's tracks in his recent DJ sets? Like, doing what DJs have literally always done?

EDIT: found it. RA strikes again! https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/23748

The comedian Kat Williams is black, but he straightened his hair. Cultural appropriation! See how dumb this is?

I think a lot of people just wish they had faced some kind of adversity in their lives, had a struggle story to tell. It’s always admirable to hear how people overcame tough situations and became something. It makes them seem like they really built some character and know something those fortunate sheltered people do not. So tough. So streetsmart.

The problem is, people are starting to equate the color of their skin with these virtues, or lack thereof. And it is complete bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, Candiru said:

The comedian Kat Williams is black, but he straightened his hair. Cultural appropriation! See how dumb this is?

I think a lot of people just wish they had faced some kind of adversity in their lives, had a struggle story to tell. It’s always admirable to hear how people overcame tough situations and became something. It makes them seem like they really built some character and know something those fortunate sheltered people do not. So tough. So streetsmart.

The problem is, people are starting to equate the color of their skin with these virtues, or lack thereof. And it is complete bullshit. 

people are always worried about someone else taking something they "have" or getting something for "free".  it's the way the anti immigration thing works too.  two sides of the same coin.

not saying cultural approriation isn't a thing just that _everything_ isn't cultural appropriation. 

tangents:  same sex marriage offended christians and people who are "one man and one woman" types who for some reason think two gay people getting married somehow deminishes their marriage. 

if everything is precious then nothing is. fuck it.. melt it all down. 

racial deconstruction

6 minutes ago, ignatius said:

people are always worried about someone else taking something they "have" or getting something for "free".  it's the way the anti immigration thing works too.  two sides of the same coin.

not saying cultural approriation isn't a thing just that _everything_ isn't cultural appropriation. 

tangents:  same sex marriage offended christians and people who are "one man and one woman" types who for some reason think two gay people getting married somehow deminishes their marriage. 

if everything is precious then nothing is. fuck it.. melt it all down. 

racial deconstruction

That grandma at the end tho.

Hypothetical question: If I decided I wanted to DJ within the next few years and spin some Indonesian gamalan on vinyl from 1964 to scratch/mix/whatever, do I risk getting my white, hairy ass booted off the stage?

You'll be fine on the stage, it's afterwards on twitter/facebook etc. that you'll get eaten alive.  No one will dare confront you about it in person.  Your adversaries will be too busy live-feeding you to the wolves of PC vigilantism on snapchat.

26 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

That grandma at the end tho.

Hypothetical question: If I decided I wanted to DJ within the next few years and spin some Indonesian gamalan on vinyl from 1964 to scratch/mix/whatever, do I risk getting my white, hairy ass booted off the stage?

if indonesia is still above sea level you'll be fine. 

21 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

You'll be fine on the stage, it's afterwards on twitter/facebook etc. that you'll get eaten alive.  No one will dare confront you about it in person.  Your adversaries will be too busy live-feeding you to the wolves of PC vigilantism on snapchat.

Wolves? I thought they were dog filters?

4 hours ago, Candiru said:

Your second paragraph is spot on. Your opening sentence ... not so much.

Fact of the matter is that for a couple of hundred years white people have been selling black people as cattle and doing god knows what else to them. At the very least in the interest of fairness black people now get to be dicks to white people for a while, or, if nothing else, will not be held to the same standards for a bit.

It's like Germans and Jews. Of course very few Germans left alive today are responsible for the holocaust. Nevertheless it is still not done for Germans to make Jewish jokes and perfectly ok for Jews to express a dislike for Germans.

Which many of them don't, because unlike white people towards black people Germans are, for the most part, perfectly aware of this and behave in an exemplary fashion in this regard.

I'm not having it sorry. It's a haircut. A haircut that I think she looks a bit of a dick in might I add, however a haircut all the same. If we can't style our hair how the fuck we want then I'm even more out of society than I am already. 

5 minutes ago, Salvatorin said:

im gonna go to my local black barbershop and get my hair done in cornrows just because of this thread 

I warn you you'll look a bit of dick but I admire you for it. Who'd have thought white people with dreadlocks would become a symbol of the last bastion of sanity and choice. 

Archived