IGNORED

Nina Kraviz has been CANCELLED

sheatheman

8 minutes ago, IDEM said:

There you go. Not much more to add really. *shrug*

Are you incapable of holding two different, unrelated thoughts in your head at the same time?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

Italians and Irish people were only recently graduated to whiteness (1900ish?)

so technically, my ancestors weren’t white. 

In the parlance of the times (18th - 19th century), the correct term was swarthy. Your ancestors were swarthy. Mine were as well! Cheers you swarthy muthafucka! 

27 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

@joshuatxuk

Italians and Irish people were only recently graduated to whiteness (1900ish?)

so technically, my ancestors weren’t white. 

Haha

but yeah, there are definitely, historically, different tiers of European. 

Exactly. The Confederate South was very class-based among whites as well, so the non-landowner rural white tenant farmers where directed to being racist as a distraction from any efforts to revolt against the wealthy elite. It's something most conservatives / right-wingers endlessly try to historically revise, especially when it comes to Appalachia, where unions and strikes emerged and the miners, detached culturally and geographically from plantations, gravitated to leftist politics in the late 1800s. President Lyndon B. Johnson once said, "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

The KKK's targets historically are another prime example. In the 1920s (an era where being KKK and anti-black was redundant for many whites) they were essentially the goons openly attacking who the rich WASP establishment elite wouldn't publicly go after: Catholics & Jews mostly but also immigrants and anyone who wasn't "Native Anglo-American." They were active all over the midwest and pockets of the Eastern coast - not just the deep south where they carried on racism against blacks and non-whites from the mid-20th century onward. My in-laws grandparents had a cross burned in front of their house in East Pennsylvania in the 1930s because they were Catholic Czechs. 

10 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

The Confederate South was very class-based among whites as well, so the non-landowner rural white tenant farmers where directed to being racist as a distraction from any efforts to revolt against the wealthy elite.

I recently learned about Bacon's Rebellion, which seems to be the colonial origin of this class divide that you describe. Quality info here. Toni Morrison's novel A Mercy is an excellent re-imagining of the historical roots of American racism. She died this year. RIP Toni!

2 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Are you incapable of holding two different, unrelated thoughts in your head at the same time?

Are you unaware of the meaning of the term "mutually exclusive"?

Goodness. I can't stand this cool-guy confusing language. What does it mean to say a person is "cancelled"? That reminds me of someone getting "on blast" because he sent some facebook acquaintance an unwanted photograph of some body part. Are people incapable of using clear language, or do we all have to speak like mid-90s MTV VJs in Daytona? So, this person is being chastised? Is that the term you all meant to use? Or was her life somehow on contract, like a serialized television show, and that contract had to be terminated? 

Fuck this stupid world. 

amazing, you'd think that her inability to make even slightly tolerable music at more than a toddler level would have been the thing to get her cancelled

jk

as if talent has anything to do with electronic music

8 hours ago, Salvatorin said:

im gonna go to my local black barbershop and get my hair done in cornrows just because of this thread 

an ex-GF told me she wanted to get dreads but her hairstylist said her hair type would be impossible to dread because it was very fine. I told this to a black coworker once in casual conversation and she said, in a very hilarious way,  "she just needs to find a hairstylist who's black" and a made a spectacular eye roll as well. she grew up int eh bahamas so had a great accent i can still hear that made it all the more memorable. 

no point to this story other than if you want to get corn rows go to the right person to do it.

2 minutes ago, colunga said:

i got confused by ignatius story cuz dreads and cornrows are different things

seemed relevant in the abstract. 

a question though.. perhaps edgy.. by dennis hopper's character's logic in that monologue from True Romance.. can Sicilians get corn rows? 

We can just cancel the whole goa/psytrance scene for appropriating every single fucking culture on earth (and possibly some exta-terrestrial and extra-dimensional cultures also).

4 minutes ago, zkom said:

We can just cancel the whole goa/psytrance scene for appropriating every single fucking culture on earth (and possibly some exta-terrestrial and extra-dimensional cultures also).

only people who's ancestors were part of the the east india company merchant fleet can drink IPAs. 

5 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

nah absolutely fuck this idea, one of the most racist things ive ever heard. WHO were the ones were keeping black people as slaves? oh yeah the ones that are now DEAD. the an idea predicated upon a whole group of people needing to pay reparations and be castigated for something their ancestors did whilst completely ignoring the individual components of said group...fucking abhorrent, get that shit outta here. how is that fair at ALL? there is only the individual

Thats not true though is it? As well as the individual there is culture and society.. and society still has power structures built on the same systems of oppression both consciously and unconsciously.

Having said that total agree people can have whatever hair do they like and most calls of cultural appropriation are complete bullshit

Nina's response to the discwoman lass was pretty stupid though, but  in general the level of discourse on internet and twitter in particular is awful.. people love calling shit out as problematic for no reason

What get's me is that she got the haircut because she thought it looked good on her. Then a bunch of people made it about something else. Just like the way conservatives reacted to the kneeling during the national anthem thing. They made it about hating America when it was not. I dislike authoritarianism in all forms.

2 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

What get's me is that she got the haircut because she thought it looked good on her. Then a bunch of people made it about something else. Just like the way conservatives reacted to the kneeling during the national anthem thing. They made it about hating America when it was not.

It's just bollox. It minimises the real problems of racism imo. I'm pretty sure this shit is helping stir up right wing mentalists too. 

1 hour ago, donquixote said:

It's just bollox. It minimises the real problems of racism imo. I'm pretty sure this shit is helping stir up right wing mentalists too. 

absolutely. This is the kinda thing that makes people erroneously flock to the right because they associate the left with these kinds of issues concerning PC culture and manufacturing outrage over trivial things.

Archived