IGNORED

Wolfgang Voigt - Earquake

wahnfried

spacer.png

Wolfgang Voigt 1991-1999

For the very first time, EARQUAKE summarises in a chronological order almost all of Wolfgang Voigt’s musical work during the 1990s. EARQUAKE comprises 303 single pieces, 75 are previously unreleased. Additionally it contains the unreleased album "Wolfgang Voigt - Mit Maschinen Sprechen" from 1995

It contains every single solo-project, the most important compilation-pieces as well as unreleased material. It is not containing explicitly: GAS, artistic collaborations, releases with external copyrights.

EARQUAKE comprises 303 single pieces, 75 are previously unreleased. Additionally it contains the unreleased album "Wolfgang Voigt - Mit Maschinen Sprechen" from 1995. 33 abstract electronic arpeggiator sound frescos.

EARQUAKE is being released in two different versions, available exclusively on KOMPAKT.FM:

USB stick in casket with booklet
Mp3 downloads

Additionally, EARQUAKE is going to be supplemented by reissues and new pressings of selected vinyl-releases.

Tracklisting (free PFD Download)
Booklet (free PDF Download)

Edited by wahnfried
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wahnfried said:

It contains every single solo-project, the most important compilation-pieces as well as unreleased material. It is not containing explicitly: GAS, artistic collaborations, releases with external copyrights.

Excellent what he's doing here, but damn it, was really hoping to see legit re-releases of the pre-Zauberberg GAS stuff. :/

That is one terrible title right there. Fuck me. Looking at the website this whole project seems to be about ghastly aesthetics. Haven't listened to any of the music yet to be honest. I'll stick with gas for a bit.

Jesus christ even that record player for the audio previews is horrible. Good minimal dancefloor stuff so far. Bit primitive maybe but mostly in a good way. There that's a 303 track project judged in a couple sentences.  

Edited by user

I'd like this for a clean and direct Vinyl Countdown - "Animal Republic" title track that's not in a mix or ripped from a record. Top 10 Anime Acid Banger ever. I'm revisiting it right now and that fuckin' kick, lawd. Like slamming boxes of textbooks down in the back of an empty U-Haul, just keep slammin' textbooks. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, xxx said:

I'd like this for a clean and direct Vinyl Countdown - "Animal Republic" title track that's not in a mix or ripped from a record. Top 10 Anime Acid Banger ever. I'm revisiting it right now and that fuckin' kick, lawd. Like slamming boxes of textbooks down in the back of an empty U-Haul, just keep slammin' textbooks. 

You can also download individual tracks, but they're only mp3 as opposed to AIFF.

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

You can also download individual tracks, but they're only mp3 as opposed to AIFF.

This is some wack shit in 2019.  The deprecated previews are a nice touch too.

36 minutes ago, species8472 said:

perhaps this is all a bit too much. im still paying off the loan i took for the gas box set in which they said the albums would never be sold individually, but they did that very thing. 

also wack

35 minutes ago, wahnfried said:

Might get a release on Kompakt's bandcamp further down the line too, I'd rather have digital-only material as WAVs anyway.

Yeah, this is the kind of collection that I could see dropping $60, maybe $70 for digitals on bandcamp.  Way too expensive as it stands

This set is immense, and the unreleased material alone is gonna take a long time to soak up, but...

Let me buy single tracks in lossless Mr. Voigt!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mellow U said:

Let me buy single tracks in lossless Mr. Voigt!

This.

Also, that album cover is a hate crime. What’s his problem? The entire project feels passive aggressive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I think he is very much relating it all back to the very eyesore designs of the time. With GAS and all the other interesting left of center stuff he's accomplished in the time since, it's easy to forget that Kompakt and Force were initially just club and rave music, and the refined/minimalist design approach didn't happen until much later. It's like the visual and aesthetic difference between Cavity Job and Amber. 

So, contextually speaking, I think having more "classy" design for this material would be a bit tone deaf. This works.

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

https://kaput-mag.com/stories-de/earquake-wolfgang-voigt-1991-1999_es-war-sehr-demokratisch-sehr-international-und-sehr-unhierarchisch-der-spirit-war-sehr-gut/

Good interview, certainly worth a quick Google Translate. He tackles the title in the first paragraphs.  

• 2 weeks later...

I use Spotify, but also buy music on Bandcamp and I also saw the price of this 300 and something Euros and thought of the starving children in Alabama. 

In the interview above he stated that he didn't think the GAS stuff fit into this as it's just too different sonically and he sees it more as an ongoing project not really suited for an archive thing like this. At least that's how I interpret it. Which might be good news I guess, meaning at least more new GAS to come in the future ...

... Most of which has been out of print for ages and unavailable in anything but early 2000's low grade MP3s...

Easily, the biggest losses here are the absence of Modern and the rest of the Kreisel 7"s, but it is still an impressive set of work, one that I think will get more recognition as he goes through and issues a lot of it on vinyl again. 

Also, tip to those who don't know: As he goes through and issues these things physically, they are ending up on Bandcamp, which is a far better platform for digital stuff IMO than the Kompakt store. Dadajack and the 11th Studio 1 are already there now.