IGNORED

Tame Impala - The Slow Rush (14th February 2020)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Every time I make an album, I feel like I've forgotten how," Kevin Parker tells Apple Music. "Every album I've done, I come to it going, 'Shit, how do I actually write a song? And how am I going to put all these songs together? I don't know.' " For "It Might Be Time", a reflective new track from his outfit's fourth LP, The Slow Rush, the Tame Impala mastermind returned to what he loves most: drums. "As opposed to some other songs of mine where I can just hear it in my head before I start recording, this was kind of the opposite," Parker says of the song. Ï love Supertramp melodies, kind of '70s prog, emotional things. But I also love extremely distorted, bombastic, blown-out drums, and I feel like I haven't done a song in a long time where the drums are the main feature. I never expect other people to care about drums as much as I do, so I don't always put them at the forefront of my music, but this time I was just like, 'Fuck it.' "  

I may be more of a Lonerism/Innerspeaker kind of guy, I still got a kick out of a lot from Currents and happy to see another album coming out!!

I enjoyed Patience a lot. Borderline is my favorite single so far, and I love It Might Be Time featuring the return of heavy drums, but I'm more of a fan of the first portion of the song is just alright. Still an interesting tune

seems like he's heading in a more chillwave / toro y moi direction. I like a lot of that, but I'd prefer he return to the psychedelic 1970's sounds he started out with. but whatever, it's his band so he can do what he wants.

So frustrating when artists release tracks so far in advance.  By the time the album comes out those songs are stale.  Or at least, they would be if I actually listened.  It's a long time to avoid listening though I must say.  I hear this is more disco stuff, which is fine.  It'll be well executed.  I legit thought Lonerism and Innerspeaker were amazing though. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It Might Be Time is 100% good. If i'm able to actually focus on lyrics, that usually means something good is going on. Also foreboding, existential, paranoiac messages delivered through unassuming pop music is kind of a turn on. Tame Impala is extremely comfortable for me because its mass-appeal music that actually resonates on a personal level. Doesnt hurt that Kevin is an absolute production obsessive and its moments like this where it really shows. He said it took him forever just to be content w the drums on this track alone

• 1 month later...

Definitely digging this so far for what it is. Certainly an extension of the Currents exploration. Production is astonishing. Will be giving it several spins this week for sure

Loving every track on this.  Breathe Deeper sticks out upon first listen because he's using the same BOC approach on Campfire Headphase by adding a 2nd individual cut on the end of the track that compliments but doesn't repeat the main track.  Great stuff.  Tomorrow's Dust?  Shooo....

I'm confused at a bunch of the mixed reception this album's getting outside of the IDM forums... definitely more consistent for me compared to Currents, every track in here is great, though Currents had songs that are definitely some of Kevin's greatest ever. (*Cough Let it Happen*). Tomorrow's Dust and Borderline are my favorite tracks though.

7 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Never understood the appeal of this band

I used to like it for what it is (pop music) but the sudden explosion to mainstream with Currents is a complete mystery for me (and seeing all those normies playing it on repeat on various occasions like it's the pinacle of modern music was extremely off putting) so, yeah, no thanks.

18 hours ago, President Squidward said:

innerspeaker and lonerism is peak tame impala for me so am i a bit cooler? :trollface:

Those were the ones I liked. I started liking them because Innerspeaker reminded me of the band Dungen. 

But I heard one of the lead singles for this and was kind of impressed. I think Kevin Parker knows what he’s doing. On the last album I just started getting symptoms of a nice lil band getting overblown attention.  

This is the first TI album I can really embrace, very consistent and never dull. I remember appreciating their debut EP, but didn't take much interest in them again until (I) Let it Happen.

If it had just one of those highs from Currents, this would be a massive commercial success. Reminds me a little of Simply Red in some ways. One More Year is the first classic opener of the decade.

Archived