IGNORED

Tame Impala - The Slow Rush (14th February 2020)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, I find this pleasant in a narrow, almost meaningless way. The Quietus review is a bit harsh, IMO.

I've listened to this a few times. It's pretty much genreless vibe music. That can be enjoyable in it's own way. Sort of like Tycho.  I've read somewhere that he cites Supertramp as one of his inspirations. He's a million miles from that level of song-writing. I find the sound a bit over processed and a lot of the vocals are incoherent (to my old ears).

For me... Probably his best? Really rate this one which surprised me as I didn't like Currents much. Production is spot on and 3 songs in particular (borderline, breathe deeper & it might be time) have completely lodged in my head this last week.

Man, I loved his first two albums.  I just don't think glossy pop songs are his strength.  His hooks aren't that good, nor is is his singing/lyrics (admittedly the bar has been set pretty low for pop lyrics in the last couple decades).  His arrangements and production chops are obviously excellent, and his guitar tones/chord choices were always really tasty. I guess commercially this is really working out for him though, so I'm sure he'll continue down this path.

Archived