• Green
    • Brexit
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • Independent / Other
    • Not voting
    • Spoilt Vote

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2019 at 09:28 AM

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are Johnson and Trump still buddies, btw? Or does Johnsons move to the Macron/Trudeau camp imply a silver lining? (One can never tell with Johnson)

Seeing these results, I'm even more confused about British politics. The Brexit party has zero seats though. That makes sense. The rest... not much

Swinson has lost her seat to the SNP, only by around 100 votes, very high turn out. She's not lost her seat based on her policies and revoke Brexit stance, though I admit it probably was too nuanced to work well in the country overall (it looked a few months ago that we might double our seats or more, so ultimately a pretty poor election overall), ultimately the Scots have just had enough with the rest of the country, and have managed to squeak past her. We've picked up a few other seats, including my constituency. But doesn't look like we've done enough in other remain areas, tactical voting as swung votes towards us, but not by enough, e.g. in Spiral's seat Chuka Umunna came 2nd, but could've won with more Labour voters switching sides. Same happened in other seats, often in the north of England Green and Lib Dem votes could have prevented the Tories picking up a good few Labour seats. Labours failure to even consider a voting pact has hurt themselves and others, though ultimately I don't think it would have made enough difference to stop a Tory majority.

26 minutes ago, goDel said:

Are Johnson and Trump still buddies, btw? Or does Johnsons move to the Macron/Trudeau camp imply a silver lining? (One can never tell with Johnson)

locally I think Johnson will move towards the centre, he no longer needs the DUP or the ERG nutters in his own party, so he can negotiate a reasonable brexit, and he can keep the revised backstop which will keep Northern Ireland from turning into a powder keg. internationally I think he'll remain close to Trump, because he'll want a good trade deal with the US, there might be a limit to what he can achieve there, depending on what the final EU deal is, he's not going to 'sell off the NHS' or anything like that for example or start importing chlorinated chickens.

If I'm correct to compare the Lib Dems to "D66" in the Netherlands, the Lib Dems will remain a "large" small party as there's simply not enough people to understand the nuanced approach of doing "progressive moderate/centrist" politics. 

5 hours ago, BCM said:

exit polls suggest Biggest Conservative win since Margaret Thatcher in 1987...

back to the 80s innit.

I'm going to become a Yuppie, get a Porsche and a flat in Docklands. Do loads of coke and get well into Level42.

as you should too. not sure why you were curbing your debauchery either.

to add to your fun: jeremy corbyn will be stepping down as leader of the labour party so- *clink*

it very much doesn't. it also doesn't mean picking the middle ground between every possible policy. it means being pragmatic and picking policies that work, whether they're seen as traditionally left or right.

To state the obvious. This turned out to be a Brexit election. Labour lost big in Leave seats, a consequence of caving to the centre and backing a second referendum.

Corbyn's unpopularity also a major factor, partly due to his own faults, and partly due to the unprecedented smear campaign. The policies however continue to poll well in the UK. His moment was 2017.

We are now in very dangerous territory. The Tories are promising to reform parliament in favour of the ruling party. During the course of the campaign they've repeatedly threatened media organisations who gave them bad press. Their entire election campaign was based on lies and gaslighting.

This is all uncontroversial textbook pre totalitarian stuff. Terrifying if you take into account their lurch to the hard right and adoption of blatantly racist policies.

My sincere condolences to all UK bods. Some very dark times ahead.

9 hours ago, caze said:

locally I think Johnson will move towards the centre, he no longer needs the DUP or the ERG nutters in his own party, so he can negotiate a reasonable brexit, and he can keep the revised backstop which will keep Northern Ireland from turning into a powder keg. internationally I think he'll remain close to Trump, because he'll want a good trade deal with the US, there might be a limit to what he can achieve there, depending on what the final EU deal is, he's not going to 'sell off the NHS' or anything like that for example or start importing chlorinated chickens.

Didn't we think this about Trump as well?

none of that is guaranteed to happen at all, most likely is Scotland becoming independent, but Boris is unlikely to allow another independence referendum any time soon. I would not imagine either happening in the next 5 years - these are things that are probably decades away, if they happen at all.

Archived