Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Soloman Tump

UK Crimbo Election 2019 - UPDATED WITH POLLOL

UK Crimbo Election 2019 - Voting Intention  

41 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who gets your vote?

    • Conservatives
      3
    • Labour
      21
    • Liberal Democract
      7
    • Green
      0
    • Brexit
      1
    • SNP
      0
    • Plaid Cymru
      5
    • Independent / Other
      1
    • Not voting
      2
    • Spoilt Vote
      1

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/19 at 09:28 AM

Recommended Posts

We did vote labour down south tho so we're less cunty than most of country. 

Edited by donquixote
  • Burger 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, darreichungsform said:

Do you speak Welsh?

Lol nah. My grand parents did and my daughter does but for about two generations it was wiped out for the most part in the south.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, donquixote said:

Lol nah. My grand parents did and my daughter does but for about two generations it was wiped out for the most part in the south.

Good that it gets revived, would be a shame if this language died out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Edited by Gocab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lmao at all the tears in this thread, I thought IDM bois were meant to be hard lads but turns out you're mostly soft cunts

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey look! Aleczandah dropping a fart!

EWWWWW!

/fart joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Aleczandah the Great said:

lmao at all the tears in this thread, I thought IDM bois were meant to be hard lads but turns out you're mostly soft cunts

damn right. where am i gonna order my records from now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welsh is strong in Gwynedd and Ceredigion (i.e. where Plaid gets votes) which are more sedentary and rural. In the South there's a much more mobile and better connected population, so there's a lack of transmission between generations. It's slowly coming back though thanks to more emphasis in schools

Lovely language, I don't speak it but am very familiar with it. I grew up right on the border, English village with a Welsh name, if I lived two fields over I would have learnt Welsh at school

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, azatoth said:

could someone explain what "centrist" policy means? to me it sounds like keeping the status quo.

moar failing neoliberalism plz

in the US it's straight-up enlightened centrism - i.e. right-wing complicity 

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i believe the US version of liberalism is different to the european version....

to a certain degree centrist has nothing to do with an ideology. like caze argued, right or left is irrelevant. centrist policies come from having a pragmatic approach: find out what works the best, given the circumstances. (that could change over time, btw) without a single ideology guiding towards a specific direction. or representing a specific part of the population. done right, it's progressive. meaning, with an open eye to improve things. not to keep things as they are.

generally speaking, people have a hard time determining where (progressive) centrist parties come from. as the first thing people try to do is to put political parties in a box. left, right, etc. because that's how politics usually makes sense. a party usually represents a specific group of people with specific needs. Or, a specific philosophy about how to run a country. centrist parties are basically all over the place and not easily boxed. and therefore, often misunderstood.

it takes a pragmatic mind to understand one, if you will.

perhaps eclectic is a better term?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

moar failing neoliberalism plz

in the US it's straight-up enlightened centrism - i.e. right-wing complicity 

That reddit group is excellent, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, goDel said:

i believe the US version of liberalism is different to the european version....

to a certain degree centrist has nothing to do with an ideology. like caze argued, right or left is irrelevant. centrist policies come from having a pragmatic approach: find out what works the best, given the circumstances. (that could change over time, btw) without a single ideology guiding towards a specific direction. or representing a specific part of the population. done right, it's progressive. meaning, with an open eye to improve things. not to keep things as they are.

generally speaking, people have a hard time determining where (progressive) centrist parties come from. as the first thing people try to do is to put political parties in a box. left, right, etc. because that's how politics usually makes sense. a party usually represents a specific group of people with specific needs. Or, a specific philosophy about how to run a country. centrist parties are basically all over the place and not easily boxed. and therefore, often misunderstood.

it takes a pragmatic mind to understand one, if you will.

perhaps eclectic is a better term?

Which party wouldn't describe itself as pragmatic? Any party from left to right would define itself like you just defined "centrist". It's basically a platitude

Edited by darreichungsform

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, most parties have a clear starting point. greens focus on the green stuff. the religious conservative parties have a hard time with stuff like abortion and euthanasia. parties which focus on supporting businesses. and the socialist parties focus on the rights of workers, for instance. there's always a specific ideology, philosophy, or religion guiding their priorities and policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the end I voted Lib Dem, but it was a massive Tory majority in my boro' once again.

Still, I'll take a majority government over a hung one any day.  Lets roll with it and see what happens.  Plenty of talk of unity and the NHS today - lets see if BoJo can walk the walk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, goDel said:

no, most parties have a clear starting point. greens focus on the green stuff. the religious conservative parties have a hard time with stuff like abortion and euthanasia. parties which focus on supporting businesses. and the socialist parties focus on the rights of workers, for instance. there's always a specific ideology, philosophy, or religion guiding their priorities and policies.

What does the youth in Asia have to do with all of this?

:dadjoke:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the amount of posts and double posts. But I think for what you described, goDel, a better term than "centrist party" is "catch-all party"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, donquixote said:

Stuck in my head....

 

 

I'm partial to this one lately.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, goDel said:

i believe the US version of liberalism is different to the european version....

to a certain degree centrist has nothing to do with an ideology. like caze argued, right or left is irrelevant. centrist policies come from having a pragmatic approach: find out what works the best, given the circumstances. (that could change over time, btw) without a single ideology guiding towards a specific direction. or representing a specific part of the population. done right, it's progressive. meaning, with an open eye to improve things. not to keep things as they are.

generally speaking, people have a hard time determining where (progressive) centrist parties come from. as the first thing people try to do is to put political parties in a box. left, right, etc. because that's how politics usually makes sense. a party usually represents a specific group of people with specific needs. Or, a specific philosophy about how to run a country. centrist parties are basically all over the place and not easily boxed. and therefore, often misunderstood.

it takes a pragmatic mind to understand one, if you will.

perhaps eclectic is a better term?

It's hard not to elaborate and tangent off on this topic but I would say broadly speaking centrism / moderate positions are fine as a pragmatic and progressive compromise but not as a de-facto or default position. Otherwise you get what we've seen in the US and elsewhere: shifting overton windows and late-stage capitalism because of failing and diluted long-term policies.

The abandonment of true conservatism (i.e. sticking with what works, cautious policy changes) versus progressive movements (systematic changes in social and economic policies) in tern renders centrism as a false and delusional choice in many scenarios. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see Corbyn continuing his stance of remaining neutral, and not deciding if he will stand down yet.

A good leader (like Jo Swinson) would have stepped down already.  I feel for her, actually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Corbyn would lead the country into greater ruin than Boris could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we managed to flip to labour here in putney, pity about the rest of the entire fucking cuntry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone hoping for Kier Starmer or Angela Rayner as new leader? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TubularCorporation said:

I'm partial to this one lately.

 

 


 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...